The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote:They must edited out the part where he says, "Hey - what are the guys at the Corner suggesting?"
He had an ear wig for that. Hush-Hush. ;)
"evolution"
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

micky107 wrote:A little of the goings on draft day... ;)

Jim Benning Mic'd Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ApK-RKqdc
That's what goes for "Genius" around here? Sheesh. Genius maybe, shrewd... not so much.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:No to Pettersen please, at 6'-2" 165 lbs this will be Brad Ference all over again, hearing constantly about the struggles of making him stronger to play in the NHL. Shit I don't even think Nedved was that skinny. Pettersen's brother is 23 years old, he is 6'-2" as well but managed to reach a whopping 173 lbs! No thanks, draft Glass or Tippitt instead, if Vilardi, Liljegren and Mittlestat are off the board
:)
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

His slick skill set has made me a believer. Benning knows
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

olpaddy wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
olpaddy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
olpaddy wrote:Juolevi for his sake I hope that this team doesn't sign a d-man in free agency...
Personally I think Juolevi is at least a year away.

And no way does the Genius sign anyone that would block him on the left side.

Don't forget Edler is only with us for two years maximum.

As an aside, Edler to Ottawa to play with Karlsson makes a lot of sense amirite? :mex:
II don't see it with Edler in Ottawa they are still trying to get Dion to waive... Its one thing for Burrows to waive to get closer to home and go to Ottawa its another for Edler to Waive to go to a team who isn't a lock to win anything & to go to a Canadian city... U don't think the GM re ups 23???

Doc Im know scout don't profess to be one or anything like that but I have seen Oli play live 10-12 times in the last two years... I think he is a nice player I like him as a player but when u draft in the top 5 I need more than nice... Thats where Walt Jr comes in to play... I think hes Oli Maata and I like Oli Maata like him alot but not at 5th overall...

Pacific Blue if u read this chime in IMO if Juolevi was in a draft with Makar Heiskenen and Rasmus Dahlin I think he is the last blueliner picked.. No shame in that by any means but I hope people don't make the kid out to be a saviour.. Doc I think he is two years away..
Boi ole Boi the old school rock em sock em hockey template is still valid with some. Don Cherry dingbat'ism running rampant, aaaahhhhgain

Paddy old friend whats the deal, do not tell me you are suffering from some kind of inferiority complex like the Blob and DougINs MacKenzie? Next thing ya know we will all be arguing who's Dad is tougher. You win by your first line skill and sorry the soft Sedins are our first line skill guys and not Getzlaf and Thornton. The way the ball bounces sometimes but to displace that aggression on drafting a Finn defenseman instead of a retaliatory cry baby winger is, well, comical and not intelligent discussion. Come on Paddy, you're better than this. You being upset that Juolevi will not apparently be the next Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, OEL to make up for not drafting a dumb ass cry baby face washer who beats up euro Wennbergs is pretty sad my friend. Olli is a very good prospect, accept it. Accept that he's not Brent Burns
Sidenote My ol man is tougher :P anyways Listen the game has changed, but one thing that will never change is intimidation... The game is a skating game a skill game BUT the team that has won back to back Stanley Cups with the Best Player in the game went out and traded for Ryan Reeves... intimidation will always be a part of this league in some form...

My thoughts on Juolevi remain the same I think he is a nice d man to take a d man that high he should be a top pairing guy a 1 or at the very least no worse than a 2 Best case scenario in two years is he a 2nd pairing guy He is Oli Maata... Both guys played in London Both guys roughly similar stats similar builds Juolevi could fill out like Maata who carries probably 20-25 pounds on Juolevi... But if the Pens came to Pacific Blue and offered you Oli Maata for the 5th pick in 2016 or Maata for the 5th pick this year I kinda think I know what your response would be.. I just thought Walt Jr at 5 last year Provided more Value to this team...

As far as the Twins go They will probably be re upped not based on merit or their play but new deals will be given because they are mentors... I don't feel that they are cutout for that role... I get they are the faces of the franchise but turning the other cheek to the point where they have had their dignity taken away... Thats no exaggeration its sickens me it absolutey sickens me to watch... it reminds me of My Bodyguard u remember that classic Pacific Blue with Chris Makepeace who was a tour de force in one of the littlest Hobo episodes any ways Chris make Peace hires a body guard to protect him from Moody but he takes a shit kickin and then he runs away turning the other cheek

sorta like this

fortunately in the movie there is redemption not unlike a Bob Marley Song sweet redemption... Chris Makepeace stands up for himself versus Matt Dillon's moody with the Help of Chucks Spy handler.... I also feel that as long as these twins are involved with this club on ice we will never see redemption we will always run away or get speed bagged or dive or have Joe Thorton ask us to smell his fingers... We deserve a happy ending Pacific Blue

Classic film Paddy !!! I like how Linderman stepped up and knocked Mike out. The real question is who wins between Chris Linderman and Buddy Revell ?
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

My thoughts on Juolevi remain the same I think he is a nice d man to take a d man that high he should be a top pairing guy a 1 or at the very least no worse than a 2 Best case scenario in two years is he a 2nd pairing guy He is Oli Maata... Both guys played in London Both guys roughly similar stats similar builds Juolevi could fill out like Maata who carries probably 20-25 pounds on Juolevi... But if the Pens came to Pacific Blue and offered you Oli Maata for the 5th pick in 2016 or Maata for the 5th pick this year I kinda think I know what your response would be.. I just thought Walt Jr at 5 last year Provided more Value to this team...
Doc Im know scout don't profess to be one or anything like that but I have seen Oli play live 10-12 times in the last two years... I think he is a nice player I like him as a player but when u draft in the top 5 I need more than nice... Thats where Walt Jr comes in to play... I think hes Oli Maata and I like Oli Maata like him alot but not at 5th overall...

Pacific Blue if u read this chime in IMO if Juolevi was in a draft with Makar Heiskenen and Rasmus Dahlin I think he is the last blueliner picked.. No shame in that by any means but I hope people don't make the kid out to be a saviour.. Doc I think he is two years away..[/quote]
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

The last quote is the ONE I want my good buddy Pacific Blue to remember Oli doesn't have attitude problems he is a good kid he is just not a saviour...

On a sidenote God I am good... 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Attitude problem no, his cockiness is the problem IMO, not playing to earn it but playing like he doesn't have to earn it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:Attitude problem no, his cockiness is the problem IMO, not playing to earn it but playing like he doesn't have to earn it
I don't think he is a cocky kid I think hes a 2nd pairing guy trying to find his way... I just don't want fans to kill him for being anything other than that...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am
RoyalDude wrote:No to Pettersen please, at 6'-2" 165 lbs this will be Brad Ference all over again, hearing constantly about the struggles of making him stronger to play in the NHL. Shit I don't even think Nedved was that skinny. Pettersen's brother is 23 years old, he is 6'-2" as well but managed to reach a whopping 173 lbs! No thanks, draft Glass or Tippitt instead, if Vilardi, Liljegren and Mittlestat are off the board
:)
:o
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:27 am
Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD's Best Player Availabke List

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Makar
4. Heiskanen
5. Vilardi
6. Glass
7. Pettersen
8. Necas
9. Rasmussen
10. Tippett
Wheres Medal-stadt?
I hear he is starring in the next Lego Movie. With his yellow lego hair no audition was required. A natural
Doesn’t really look to be aboard the Pettersson bandwagon here
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ Not sure what that post means but the previous RoyalDude post you are quoting is from March 12:
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 am No to Pettersen please, at 6'-2" 165 lbs this will be Brad Ference all over again, hearing constantly about the struggles of making him stronger to play in the NHL. Shit I don't even think Nedved was that skinny. Pettersen's brother is 23 years old, he is 6'-2" as well but managed to reach a whopping 173 lbs! No thanks, draft Glass or Tippitt instead, if Vilardi, Liljegren and Mittlestat are off the board
Please note that RoyalDude was on board the Pettersson bandwagon at least 17 days before the draft in June:
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:25 pm
olpaddy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Yeah I'm starting to be sold on the idea of Pettersen.
Okay, Pettersen it is! :rockin:
Look at us agreeing Doc this is oddly strange...
Then it must be destiny! :rockin:
OMG Blobster, you are so jealous of my pal the Dude!

But I can see why. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

His list was a week before the draft
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 pm His list was a week before the draft
Perhaps the list was in no particular order?

Dude was "sold" on Pettersson 17 days before the draft but wutevs...

Main thing is that The Virtuoso was sold on Elias Pettersson.

Never bet against The Virtuoso my friend!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Over the long haul, I'm thinking Pettersson and Makar are going to end up being the gems of the top 10 picks. Hischier maybe just a rung below.

Dahlin has been amazing as advertised. I've never seen a 17 year old defenceman that good, that complete with that many tools. But Makar has quietly had himself a ridiculous WJC too. Avs got themselves a great one.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What is learned from all of this? Chef Boi RD can adjust, Bubbles cannot, he's a stubborn old fool. Genius the calm cool and collected made the right decision, that's all that matters.