2016 Training camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Training camp

Post by 5thhorseman »

Although I wasn't too keen on Larson, it's smart to have two rolls of the dice instead of one. It could very well be that neither of them stick in the end, but the pressure is on Larson now. I reckon he gets a full year in the bigs; Canucks can take their time to develop Pedan and Stecher.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Iceman2014 wrote:Burrows has been OK. I don't think he should be on the team but we're not the GM. He might be dealt to a contender at the deadline for depth purposes. Burr does provide excellent leadership and experience and that will be pretty valuable to the young guys here. So, I am guessing Burr will often be the 13th forward? Anyway, It'll be interesting to see the final cuts and cheer on Burr in his final season.

Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson

Granlund/Sutter/Rodin

Baertschi/Horvat/Etem

Dorsett/Gaunce/Hansen

Burrows

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Sbisa/Larsen

Tryamkin/Biega

Just a guess here!

Cant have a 4.5 million dollar guy as your 13th forward. Wake up people. Burrows is on the team. Even if it's 4th line, he is on the team. He brings intangible things to the team.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If they intend to waive anyone does it not have to be today so they clear in time. Usually all the last waivers happen 24 hours before the roster set deadline. Thinking here of a Etem I am. He's really the only one left that they have to waive if they send to Utica, and of course any PTOs they may want to sign and waive, if any.

Five on the bubble:

Virtanen
Gaunce
Etem
Skille
Ruutu
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:Of note today, PA Paranteau and Andrej Pavelec have been placed on waivers.

Still awaiting official word for the rest of the league.
See I'd waive Etem and put a claim in on Paranteau. We would have a very good shot at a successful claim. Some other interesting names popping up. Perhaps we don't release/sign Ruutu or Skille until noon tomorrow if we do put in a waiver claim on anyone.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: Maybe you have to of played the game at a high level to know that is one of the worst things you can do to a dressing room and the mood of a team.
Sometimes you're just a tad too "full of yourself" + "out to lunch".

Bad combo good buddy. :wink:
I'm full of myself?
Y U P
micky107 wrote: I could try to explain further on Burrows but, what's the point.
You won't get it until you get your head out of 2011, but that's just hockey stuff, not PC wizardry.
Where exactly did I say anything about Burrows still playing at a 2011 level?

Strawman much?

All I did was agree with Mëds about Alex's mentoring skills.

Y O U claimed mentoring skills don't exist in the NHL.

Y O U claimed only those who have "played the game at a high level" would know this.

Y O U are full of yourself (as well as out to lunch).

Many, many NHL players and coaches have touted the mentoring factor.

Yet we're all supposed to concede to you on "hockey stuff" because we're all just "PC wizards"!! :lol:

I say you've never played a hockey game in your life until you prove otherwise...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Iceman2014 wrote: Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson

Granlund/Sutter/Rodin

Baertschi/Horvat/Etem

Dorsett/Gaunce/Hansen

Burrows

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gudbranson

Sbisa/Larsen

Tryamkin/Biega

Just a guess here!
Sounds about right, except Etem needs to get waived with Hansen and Burrows each moving up a line.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote: Maybe you have to of played the game at a high level to know that is one of the worst things you can do to a dressing room and the mood of a team.

I'm full of myself?
Y U P
micky107 wrote: I could try to explain further on Burrows but, what's the point.
You won't get it until you get your head out of 2011, but that's just hockey stuff, not PC wizardry.
Where exactly did I say anything about Burrows still playing at a 2011 level?

Strawman much?

All I did was agree with Mëds about Alex's mentoring skills.

Y O U claimed mentoring skills don't exist in the NHL.

Y O U claimed only those who have "played the game at a high level" would know this.

Y O U are full of yourself (as well as out to lunch).

Many, many NHL players and coaches have touted the mentoring factor.

Yet we're all supposed to concede to you on "hockey stuff" because we're all just "PC wizards"!! :lol:

I say you've never played a hockey game in your life until you prove otherwise...
We will see. and that's not what I meant, I was talking about Burrows in the present.

Nobody has to concede, (poor choice of words), agree with anything.

MOD- (M)inistry (O)f (D)efence. I'm dodging your draft....jk
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yes, should've said "defer" rather than "concede"... but it ain't gonna happen, wake up bro!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Daniel - Henrik - Loui
Granlund - Sutter - Hanson
Bearcheese - Horvat - Rodin/Jake platoon
Dorset - Gaunce - Burrows

Edler - Tanev
Guds - Larson
Hutton - Sbisa
Tryamkin
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Rodin put on IR, so looks like Jake will get a chance to try and cement a fwd spot. Can't say I'm happy with Stecher being sent down. In theory I know it's not the worst thing that could happen but when you tell the young guys and the fans that the best players will make the team, and Stecher was clearly better than Larson, then he should make the team. I personally would have been more excited to see what Stecher would/could do learning on the fly as did Hutton last year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

$lacker wrote:Rodin put on IR, so looks like Jake will get a chance to try and cement a fwd spot. Can't say I'm happy with Stecher being sent down. In theory I know it's not the worst thing that could happen but when you tell the young guys and the fans that the best players will make the team, and Stecher was clearly better than Larson, then he should make the team. I personally would have been more excited to see what Stecher would/could do learning on the fly as did Hutton last year.

Stetcher wasn't clearly better than Larsen, not enough anyway to unseat a vet, yes Larsen is a vet, of sorts. Stetcher clearly does some things better and has tremendous upside. Larsen also does some things well and has defensive challenge too. But there was little to call between the two. Stetcher is flashier and exciting to watch but that doesn't make him better at this point.

Larsen will and should be given a chance to see if he can provide what we need from that role, that is PP quarterback. I have no problem withis choice, at this point. I emphasize that becausthat could change in 20 games or so.

Finally, Stetcher is showing like a piece of the future, a piece to build around. Getting top four minutes is huge for him, and us. Larsen may be on a make it or break it trajectory at this point in his career. So many of us were upset that Pedantic never got a real showing last season. Why make the same mistake with Larsen? None of us have seen enough of him to fairly judge. I'll be the first to dump him if he doesn't produce and proves to be a defensive liability.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

$lacker wrote:Rodin put on IR, so looks like Jake will get a chance to try and cement a fwd spot. Can't say I'm happy with Stecher being sent down. In theory I know it's not the worst thing that could happen but when you tell the young guys and the fans that the best players will make the team, and Stecher was clearly better than Larson, then he should make the team. I personally would have been more excited to see what Stecher would/could do learning on the fly as did Hutton last year.
Yeah, with you on that. Hopefully Stecher is back by November 1st.
I think he has a more all round game then Larson.
Don't think he would be rattled or intimidated at the NHL level. He'll be back.
I think the fans and the team could do with the excitement Stecher could bring.
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Strangelove wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

I'm full of myself?
Y U P

Unbelievable! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. In my years off and on this site as well as central, I have come across no one - NO ONE who is more full of themselves than you Strangelove. You set yourself up as an authority all the time and rarely if ever is there an ounce of humility or fallibility ever. Your schtick as you put it, gets tiring after awhile. It's interesting though how you have 'lap dogs' that cater to you and or get behind anything you say- (kind of reminds me of a school playground where there's a strong-minded bully that the other kids get behind lest they too become the focus of the bully). You have a great upside though, you're intelligent and you tend to offer opinions/views that are well researched. But enough already; get down from your perch would ya?
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And WD basically said it today. Stetcher is ready for the NHL but he needs playing time. He also mentioned that Stetcher is used to playing 1-2 games then a week off. Our condensed schedule is brutal to start the season and he wants Stetcher to get used to the rigours of pro life at the AHL level and go from there. Said they wanted to put him in a position to succeed and didn't know that that would be the case here, right now. Said he'll be back this year.

Don't fret anyone.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Of note from the stats guys this preseason:
Philip Larsen and Sbisa lead the Canucks defense with the worst shot attempt differential in pre-season.
A combined -45 shot diff
Free Stecher.
Hockey Widow wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Of note today, PA Paranteau and Andrej Pavelec have been placed on waivers.
Still awaiting official word for the rest of the league.
See I'd waive Etem and put a claim in on Paranteau. We would have a very good shot at a successful claim. Some other interesting names popping up. Perhaps we don't release/sign Ruutu or Skille until noon tomorrow if we do put in a waiver claim on anyone.
PA Parenteau would be great over Etem, the other guy I think would be a good pickup is Pulkkinen, granted he's coming off surgery like Rodin, so he'd need to be brought along slowly as well, but get them both healthy...

Pulkkinen-Granlund Finland represent!

or

Parenteau on the 2nd?

Babcock probably knows pulk' and may not want him, oilers just gave yak away so they don't need another winger, so in theory we should get first dibs no?
Last edited by SKYO on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.