Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Micky »

RoyalDude wrote:At the last IIHF world championship the coaching staff and teamates of Tanev including McDavid all unanamously raved about Chris Tanev how he was the teams best defenceman. With his contract, age and modern style of game Tanev is more valuable on the open market than you're assuming , Mickey
Are you getting names mixed up?
I think Tanev is worth tons. Probably more valuable than anyone on the team, as of right now, on the market.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Meds wrote: In no particular order.....

Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Roman Josi, Mark Giordano, Dustin Byfuglien, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, Brent Seabrook, Victor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Duncan Keith, John Carlson, Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Anton Stralman, John Klingberg, PK Subban, Matt Niskanen, Jake Muzzin, Hampus Lindholm, Anton Stralman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Sami Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Shayne Gotisbehere, Tyler Myers, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Johnson......
Ok, now to be more realistic, come up with 30 players that are possible available to be moved!

Some of those guys you listed you'd be giving up roster players, first round pick(s) and prospects in order to acquire them. Tanev is a realistic acquisition for a team that needs some defensive depth but doe st want to gut their team or the farm.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Meds wrote: In no particular order.....

Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Roman Josi, Mark Giordano, Dustin Byfuglien, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, Brent Seabrook, Victor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Duncan Keith, John Carlson, Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Anton Stralman, John Klingberg, PK Subban, Matt Niskanen, Jake Muzzin, Hampus Lindholm, Anton Stralman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Sami Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Shayne Gotisbehere, Tyler Myers, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Johnson......
Ok, now to be more realistic, come up with 30 players that are possible available to be moved!

Some of those guys you listed you'd be giving up roster players, first round pick(s) and prospects in order to acquire them. Tanev is a realistic acquisition for a team that needs some defensive depth but doe st want to gut their team or the farm.
Oh I know that Aaron. My point was that I could name 30 guys off the top of my head that I think are more legit top-pairing D. I'm not trying to diminish Tanev, I'm just saying that Chris is a top pairing guy on what is legitimately a pretty weak club right now. For a guy like Kane he's worth that and then compensation for the baggage. If Kane was a consummate pro who scored 60 points per year, and played a physical game, then Tanev for Kane would not be enough.

Tanev fro Reinhart straight up is a fair trade. I don't think you get something else back, and you might have to throw in a 3rd or 4th. Reinhart was highly touted as a junior, and while he's not setting the world on fire, he only just turned 21.

I think we overvalue what we have.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think you over value what everyone else has...
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

TDA Rum wrote:I think you over value what everyone else has...
Grass is always greener..... :lol:
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Meds wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
I don't know if Canucks should add much more to a Tanev package for Sam. Tanev is an actual top pairing D man. He might be a #2 or 3 on a very good team. He's the top guy in Van. The return for him should be far higher than what Benning paid for Gudbranson. Look at what the Coilers gave up for Larsson.
In no particular order.....

Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Roman Josi, Mark Giordano, Dustin Byfuglien, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, Brent Seabrook, Victor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Duncan Keith, John Carlson, Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Anton Stralman, John Klingberg, PK Subban, Matt Niskanen, Jake Muzzin, Hampus Lindholm, Anton Stralman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Sami Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Shayne Gotisbehere, Tyler Myers, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Johnson.....

That's not an exhaustive list, but it was very easy to come up with as 30 names I would take over Tanev. I understand that you said he might be a 2 or 3 on a good team, but right now Tanev doesn't even crack the top-100 in the NHL rankings for SAT% among defensemen. Granted, he only played 7 games before getting hurt, and SAT% is also reflective of the entire team, but I think we all over value Tanev to a degree. The guy is one of the smarter defensive guys in the league, but he contributes minimal offense, he has no physical game, and he's not a puck carrying defenseman by any stretch of the imagination.

Is he worth a top-6 forward? Yes. Evander Kane? Yes, but only because of Kane's baggage and injury history. Sam Reinhart? Maybe, but Sam still has potential that he hasn't reached, so you might be getting a guy who could end up playing top line center for your team.....Tanev, well you aren't getting anything that you don't already see.
But..Tanev is signed for $4.45 for 3 more years. Why, oh why would you trade him as anything less than one of the top 3 available D-Men? Tanev is 59th right now in D-man Cap hit, and probably into the 70's next season after a few UFA signings, and probably into the 90's by 2019/20. He is a hell of a bargain, and we should be compensated for it, -if- we trade him. And, why woud we? His value is only going to go up based on his age and contract.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

If this team isn't going to tank we need to trade for someone like S. Reinhart asap since he has potential, plus when the Sabres team is healthy they got a stacked center depth.

ROR
Eichel
Larsson
Girgensons

They need help on the wings and defense, why I think a blockbuster could be made between these two teams with the base of the trade being Tanev for Reinhart - with various pieces being thrown in to even it out value and cap wise.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Tciso wrote: -if- we trade him. And, why woud we? His value is only going to go up based on his age and contract.
There is a fear amongst posters here -- and I share it -- that with the hits Tanev takes, and his comparatively slight frame, injuries will start to pile up soon, and it won't be long before they have a cumulative effect on his game and/or shorten his career. Sell high.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Not sure I'm big on S. Reinhart, the Reinhart kids don't really wow me much as NHLers, definitely don't want to trade for Evander. What about:

Tanev or Edler
for
Puljujarvi

or

Tanev or Edler
for
JVR or W. Nylander
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

You buy low so to speak on Reinhart, if he was producing like Nylander he'd be untouchable.

I see vast potential in Sam.
http://tipofthetower.com/2016/09/28/buf ... ning-camp/

He's the same age as Bo, so he's at a good age to be a part of the new Canucks core post Sedins era.

Reinhart
Horvat
Sutter

2018 moving forward would be awesome to build around.

Gotta plan for the Twinsition™ now.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah the reinharts aren't the most thrilling players going but id say he's a better option than Kane. Trading Virtanen for Kane is like revisiting Hodgson for Kassian, something tells me it will have similar results for both teams.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah the reinharts aren't the most thrilling players going but id say he's a better option than Kane. Trading Virtanen for Kane is like revisiting Hodgson for Kassian, something tells me it will have similar results for both teams.
Except for the price at both the NHL & AHL level.

The most important goal Kane ever scored was that effing contract.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:
if he was producing like Nylander he'd be untouchable.
Nylander suffered a concussion at the World Juniors

... and another one last week.

(some say the most recent one actually happened 10 days ago but went undiagnosed for a week)

(this was during the Montreal game, in the OOTS thread I was cheering on a series of Shea Weber hits)

Nylander's noggin is a concern for the Leaves moving forward, although it is all very hush-hush.

Skyo, you read trade threads full of Leaf fans: Note, some are suddenly considering trading Nylander.

Also note the Toronto Sports Network is suddenly suggesting Nylander trades.

Trust me on this and note Nylander only has 4 points in the month of November...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

whoa really? Just a mere coupla weeks ago Leaves fans were adamant they wouldn't deal Nylander for Tanev due to how awesome Nylander was doing with Matthews early on.

Concussions are a bitch.

Trade for Sam R.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Wasn't Reinhart the player Benning coveted but could not get Florida to deal their first overall pick? I've only seen a couple of games when Reinhart played, clips really. He impressed me. If Benning could pry him away that would be awesome. But something tells me Buffalo would want one of our three young ones on D, Hutton, Stetcher or Trymakin. That I'm reluctant to do.
The only HW the Canucks need