Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey_God wrote:FWIW, I have a trusted source with access to inside knowledge of the Calgary Hitmen dressing room during the time JV played for them and he was not well liked by his teammates and was considered an A-hole by his teammates. He was very full of himself and a me-first-guy. I was excited when they drafted him but hearing this leaves me concerned. Hopefully, he will mature but he sounds like Evander Kane without the NHL resume to me.
:(
This isn't news but apparently I was full of shit when I said pretty much the exact same thing, kind of like how I was raked over the coals when I posted in the off season how Virtanen was in terrible shape, got that bit of news from a pretty good source

There was a reason Jake was yanked out of Calgary. He is definitely work in progress, whom may never progress
If it makes you feel any better, I consider you to be a billion times the better source than Hockey_God! :thumbs:

You're still full of shit though...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey_God wrote:FWIW, I have a trusted source with access to inside knowledge of the Calgary Hitmen dressing room during the time JV played for them and he was not well liked by his teammates and was considered an A-hole by his teammates. He was very full of himself and a me-first-guy. I was excited when they drafted him but hearing this leaves me concerned. Hopefully, he will mature but he sounds like Evander Kane without the NHL resume to me.
:(
This isn't news but apparently I was full of shit when I said pretty much the exact same thing, kind of like how I was raked over the coals when I posted in the off season how Virtanen was in terrible shape, got that bit of news from a pretty good source

There was a reason Jake was yanked out of Calgary. He is definitely work in progress, whom may never progress
If it makes you feel any better, I consider you to be a billion times the better source than Hockey_God! :thumbs:

You're still full of shit though...
Amen brother. :D

Anyways this all rum out and means nothing unless there is a source. So easy for 1 person to say something negative and assume it is all true. Welcome to the internet where truth is a casualty.

Not saying HG that your wrong or anything.

RD just gets a burr in his britche and never lets it go, same with me on Edler. The guy should of been gone years ago.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:Jake the Flake
*LOL* I like it. :lol: For our sake, mgmt and his, I hope he doesn't become that though. *hehe*
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Two targets before expansion draft is Boone Jenner for JV, Jenner plays a similar game to JV just is already experienced, injuries been a issue but over the long haul he should have a better career over JV.
Plus Jenner can play center & is great defensively.

Only reason this trade can even happen is the Blue Jackets are having a difficult decision on whom to protect thanks to all their NMC's and all the young guys they got to protect up front.

Jenner is having poor season thus far, so buy low with expansion exempt Virtanen.

or

Tanev for Mantha + Marchenko + pick.

Marchenko pair him up with Tryamkin next season after Sbisa probably gets claimed.

-----

As for trade deadline we deal Hansen for two 2nd's.

Burrows for two 3rd's or one 2nd rounder.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

There is an obvious lot of interest in one Christopher Tanev.
@sportsnetirf

On Headlines tonight @RealKyper says teams are calling #Canucks about Chris Tanev
A team would have to have a homerun offer to pique JB's interest.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Two targets before expansion draft is Boone Jenner for JV, Jenner plays a similar game to JV just is already experienced, injuries been a issue but over the long haul he should have a better career over JV.

Only reason this trade can even happen is the Blue Jackets are having a difficult decision on whom to protect thanks to all their NMC's and all the young guys they got to protect up front.

Jenner is having poor season thus far, so buy low with expansion exempt Virtanen.

or

Marchenko pair him up with Tryamkin next season after Sbisa probably gets claimed.

-----

As for trade deadline we deal Hansen for two 2nd's.

Burrows for two 3rd's or one 2nd rounder.

I've always liked Boone Jenner but I'm not ready to give up on Virtanen yet. He is where he needs to be even if it lasts into next year. Given we are rebuilding the age difference and contract status should be factors for us to consider.

As for Tanev, if Gudbranson cost us a former first plus a high second then that's the type of return we should be looking at. If we could grab that for both Edler and Tanev at some point over the next year then that's doing good.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Two targets before expansion draft is Boone Jenner for JV, Jenner plays a similar game to JV just is already experienced, injuries been a issue but over the long haul he should have a better career over JV.
or
I've always liked Boone Jenner but I'm not ready to give up on Virtanen yet. He is where he needs to be even if it lasts into next year. Given we are rebuilding the age difference and contract status should be factors for us to consider.

As for Tanev, if Gudbranson cost us a former first plus a high second then that's the type of return we should be looking at. If we could grab that for both Edler and Tanev at some point over the next year then that's doing good.
Yeah with the rise of Tryamkin playing a solid defensive game, trading Tanev now for maximum value seems like a prudent decision....just not for Kane ffs.

Probably at least 6-10 teams would offer up something decent for Tanman.

Notabaly the Leaves, Habs, Sabres, Redwings, Oilers, Stars maybe the Rangers.

I'd love a future center #1C star to overtake the Sedins in 2018, so Horvat can be the #2C.

Just the Sabres and Oilers can offer up a player like that. Leaves could offer up their 2017 1st + for Tanev.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

If they are bound and determined to trade Tanev, I'd hope it's someone other than Ignitowski pulling the trigger on the teams best defenceman. Not saying it's a bad idea to move him as he will be baked by the time the team is good, just don't think Elmer is good at much other than clearing out stuff he doesn't like. Benning likely kills houseflies with a hammer at his place.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
or

Yeah with the rise of Tryamkin playing a solid defensive game, trading Tanev now for maximum value seems like a prudent decision....just not for Kane ffs.

Probably at least 6-10 teams would offer up something decent for Tanman.

Notabaly the Leaves, Habs, Sabres, Redwings, Oilers, Stars maybe the Rangers.

I'd love a future center #1C star to overtake the Sedins in 2018, so Horvat can be the #2C.

Just the Sabres and Oilers can offer up a player like that. Leaves could offer up their 2017 1st + for Tanev.
Maybe the Sabre's pick but I don't even know if that is truly enough.
Have to keep an eye on the projections but 2017 isn't going to be in the same ball-park as 2015 or 2016.
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Actually, the team that needs Tanev the most is Washington.
It's almost embarrassing they haven't won a cup.
Their window is closing soon.
Chris would bring them just what they need.
Too bad they can't afford it.
Oh well.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm sure Tanev would love to return to Ontario and he is just what the leaves need. But will they pay the price?

Mind you, if we could get Sam Reinhart out of Buffalo for Tanev plus.........
The only HW the Canucks need
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm sure Tanev would love to return to Ontario and he is just what the leaves need. But will they pay the price?

I don't know if Canucks should add much more to a Tanev package for Sam. Tanev is an actual top pairing D man. He might be a #2 or 3 on a very good team. He's the top guy in Van. The return for him should be far higher than what Benning paid for Gudbranson. Look at what the Coilers gave up for Larsson.

Benning has already said Tanev isn't going anywhere. I am hoping he's savvy enough to be saying this to drive interest and value. Many teams would covet Tanev. Benning could even send him to a team like the Yotes this year if the return was good enough; that might be an actual good hockey trade.

When considering the expansion draft, the one guy that needs to move is Hansen. That way all the young guys are protected.

Benning should be working on a number of things right now but I don't know if he is actually willing to deal Tanev, Hansen or others like Burr, Miller and, maybe next year, the Sedins.

I'm praying he doesn't make a stupid trade for E. Kane. It's a concern. The HNIC crew claims there are a lot of Buffalo scouts attending Utica games. Friedman thinks it'd take Virt + to get E. Kane. I pray this doesn't happen. Kane the cancer isn't worth it. Benning should check the asking price on Saad - CBJ wants to move that salary and should cost a bit less considering his contract is on the high side.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'm sure Tanev would love to return to Ontario and he is just what the leaves need. But will they pay the price?

I don't know if Canucks should add much more to a Tanev package for Sam. Tanev is an actual top pairing D man. He might be a #2 or 3 on a very good team. He's the top guy in Van. The return for him should be far higher than what Benning paid for Gudbranson. Look at what the Coilers gave up for Larsson.
In no particular order.....

Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Roman Josi, Mark Giordano, Dustin Byfuglien, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, Brent Seabrook, Victor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Duncan Keith, John Carlson, Alex Pietrangelo, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Anton Stralman, John Klingberg, PK Subban, Matt Niskanen, Jake Muzzin, Hampus Lindholm, Anton Stralman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Sami Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Shayne Gotisbehere, Tyler Myers, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Johnson.....

That's not an exhaustive list, but it was very easy to come up with as 30 names I would take over Tanev. I understand that you said he might be a 2 or 3 on a good team, but right now Tanev doesn't even crack the top-100 in the NHL rankings for SAT% among defensemen. Granted, he only played 7 games before getting hurt, and SAT% is also reflective of the entire team, but I think we all over value Tanev to a degree. The guy is one of the smarter defensive guys in the league, but he contributes minimal offense, he has no physical game, and he's not a puck carrying defenseman by any stretch of the imagination.

Is he worth a top-6 forward? Yes. Evander Kane? Yes, but only because of Kane's baggage and injury history. Sam Reinhart? Maybe, but Sam still has potential that he hasn't reached, so you might be getting a guy who could end up playing top line center for your team.....Tanev, well you aren't getting anything that you don't already see.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I wonder if Vegas would be open to moving their first for Tanev +.

The mock expansion drafts are sorely lacking in big-minute Dmen, and the UFA class is thin.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

At the last IIHF world championship the coaching staff and teamates of Tanev including McDavid all unanamously raved about Chris Tanev how he was the teams best defenceman. With his contract, age and modern style of game Tanev is more valuable on the open market than you're assuming , Mickey
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK