Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I would rather mire in the bottom of the league a few more years than give up Hutton, Tryamkin, or Stecher as part of any kind of package for Evander Kane. At this point, they are untouchable IMO. Benning would be stupid with a capital S to consider trading away any young defense man that has upside.

Sit tight, ride out the storm and see what happens near the trade deadline. Don't go getting delusional, Jim!
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Edit, sorry saw McKenzie's tweet was already posted.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Murray said he wants help on D. Their problems up front in scoring are primarily due to the number and quality of players injured. As they start to return he anticipates scoring will pick up. His biggest need is D. He also said they are cap crunched meaning he cannot bring back more salary than he trades. He has said other teams he is talking to are in similar cap scenarios. They could not absorb a 4-6 million dollar hit without reducing cap elsewhere. So a Hutton for Kane deal simply wouldn't work for the Canucks. :mrgreen:

Benning has said they have strength and depth at D, and really only at D, to effect a trade. He has said he is not looking to move forwards. Goaltending is set and according to Miller, he knows he could be asked to waive depending upon how the next 6-8 weeks go. Sooner if the ship sinks even more. He has said it is a possibility he is prepared for, not necessarily anticipating though.

Buffalo needs/wants D. Vancouver feels they could trade a D man or two. The caps must be balanced. The emergence of Trymakin and Sbisa, or reemergence, is showing they can be an effective 5-6 pairing. Trymakin plays better on the RD. Sbisa complements his play. Trymakin has been effective on the PK, the limited minutes he has been there.

Stetcher and Hutton are the future.

Tanev and Edler are the past.

Gudbranson is staying.

Pedan and Subban are waiting.

The Finn is a couple years away.

Kane's hit is 5. something. Tanev for Kane plus a second could get it done. Tanev comes with no baggage and is reliable. Kane comes with a ton of baggage but is dynamic. I think he should be discounted due to his baggage but Murray wants top bang for his buck. Canucks covet Kane and are desperate for top six help. Make it Tanev for Kane with a conditional pick coming our way. Conditional upon his off ice antics, games played etc.

The reason I say Tanev, Trymakin prefers playing RD. He will be an effective Tanev replacement on the right side. Stetcher and Gudbranson hold down the other two right side positions. We have strength still on the left side. Besides I think moving Edler to Buffalo will be a lot harder than convincing Tanev to go there, an Ontario boy. Age is another factor. But Buffalo may want one of our younger D which could be a big problem.

Benning is willing to trade D but I think he means one of the older guys. Benning still sees Sbisa as a top four. Maybe he projects a Sbisa and Trymakin as a potential 2 pairing.

If Stetcher plays 70 games this year he loses his waiver free status. Will that play into decisions down the road to get him back to Utica?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well my long winded rant is so totally irrelevant now. LOL. Thanks to McKenzie anyway.

Good to see Benning is not willing to trade away younger players and or picks. Evander Kane is not going to turn us into a contender.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Everybody get E-kane out of their heads!

If Buffalo is really so desperately in need of a top D-man;

Chris Tanev for Ryan O'Rielly. Hard ball-- :evil:
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

micky107 wrote:Everybody get E-kane out of their heads!
Yeah, just say no to Evander. Unless he's like dirty cheap. We should not be giving up Jake, Tanev or a top draft pick for him.
Hockey Widow wrote: Good to see Benning is not willing to trade away younger players and or picks. Evander Kane is not going to turn us into a contender.
Agreed, Evander won't help us much. We'd need like 2 top superstars to really turn us around. Evander will be a UFA in 2 years. @ that time, the Sedins will probably be done and that would be a better and more realistic time to go for him.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

This E-Kane thing, to me, has the owner's signature, all over it. JB can't say that.
Kane is a fake, an illusion. A reckless player, on and off the ice, with a couple of flashy moves that make people think he is actually worth something, that is when he's not injured or has an issue, which will be always!

Some think coming home to Vancouver will give him the emotional support he needs.
More likely, it will give him, (and his new team mates, hint, hint), places to hide when they break curfew. :evil:
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

the sensible thing to do is to stay away from Kane. We are all enticed by him but at the end of the day he's a problem child, we already have Jake the Flake to deal with. Trading Tanev for him is a pretty stupid idea
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

RoyalDude wrote:the sensible thing to do is to stay away from Kane. We are all enticed by him but at the end of the day he's a problem child, we already have Jake the Flake to deal with. Trading Tanev for him is a pretty stupid idea
I agree to an extent. Trading Tanev for him right now I would not do.
Like you mentioned, it is enticing but the guy has too much baggage. Let him become UFA ( I doubt he stays in Buffalo) someday and take a run at him then without giving up assets. Who knows? Maybe he will have his act cleaned up by then?
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:the sensible thing to do is to stay away from Kane. We are all enticed by him but at the end of the day he's a problem child, we already have Jake the Flake to deal with. Trading Tanev for him is a pretty stupid idea
Kane would be the last person I want around Virtanen. Bad influence no matter how hard they try to turn either one around.

Just stay the course unless an unexpected deal comes up. What if it was Saad being talked about with Vancouver? I still wouldn't do it if I were Benning, but Saad would make me think longer than Kane would.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Jake the Flake
:lol:

Almost as funny as some of the completely unsubstantiated trade rumours around here...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: If Stetcher plays 70 games this year he loses his waiver free status. Will that play into decisions down the road to get him back to Utica?
Well, he's played 9 games so far. We have 64 left to play. Sit him for 4 games and he can't hit waivers.

If nobody else is injured when Tanev comes back, send Troy to Utica for a couple of weeks (or just scratch him for those games). Then trade Tanev and put Stecher back in.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I'm going to assume Stecher is here for life aha, so screw waivers.

Dude is leading the defense in corsi for, as a rookie!
http://bit.ly/2finoI5

Thanks to Stecher and Tryamkin's above average play, I think Tanev or Gudbranson could be probable trade bait IF

Depends on Gudbranson' agent and what they want for a new contract, anything more than $5m per and you should probably deal him.

But if you are not going to get a big younger top 6 fella, just keep em all.

6'2 200lb 26 year old rugged LUCA SBISA is quietly having a solid season, he's the one who could be dealt in the end. :o
He's +1 player, 50.2 CF%, avg 16 min TOI.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote:
Kane would be the last person I want around Virtanen. Bad influence no matter how hard they try to turn either one around.

Just stay the course unless an unexpected deal comes up. What if it was Saad being talked about with Vancouver? I still wouldn't do it if I were Benning, but Saad would make me think longer than Kane would.
Yep - seen Kane out a few times in the last few years in Van. Let's just say he has problems with more than just the assaults he's been arrested for, he definitely likes the party scene. I want no part of him at all, he's a complete gong show.

Hopefully Jim isn't able to find a trading partner to take a young dman and yet another pick away from the team. He's already traded 2 for this year and given how awful they are we need something like the draft to look forward to.

Saad I would do, depending on cost of course.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sbisa and Trymakin quietly forming a nice D pairing.