Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cornuck »

New thread for a new season!

Nice to see the Orcas skating around last night, even it was the Young Guns.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by SKYO »

lol merci.

Right now I'm lurking the Columbus boards seeing what their needs are and what they want in return for one of their expensive big gritty wingers.

CBJ fans posts
To Nashville: Hartnell (30% retained)
To CBJ: 2nd round pick 2017, 4th round pick 2016
They got high hopes for the young guys
Saad - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Dubois - Foligno
Calvert - Karlsson - Anderson
My main target would be 28 yr old Nick Foligno, he like many other players stats go up playing with talented centers, him with RyJo his stats went up like crazy, like JVR/Bozak/Hagelin/Bonino with Kessel.
Carter/Burrows/honeybadger with the Sedins etc.

But he's a LW/RW, can scrap and score, he'd be preferred over Hartnell.

If we are going for Seahawks or TBL style, lean, youthful, speed and skill, we should go after one of Detroit's billions of wingers avail, using Pedan as bait.

6'2 Athanasiou being that guy.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

for the love of all humanity can we stop trying to trade any prospect or pick for anyone nearer 30 than 20?

This team is NOT a contender, not even freaking close so stop putting a band-aid when the stomach is already ripped open. I don't mind some vets coming in for free so we don't build a losing culture but if take another year or 2 getting a top 5 pick to move forward then I am all for that.

I do not want team that constantly finishes middle of the pack, maybe making the playoffs maybe not making the playoffs. Then once in we pray more to win vs. knowing the guys have the skill to go far. Regardless what some people think it does take a couple years of suckage to get some good youth in or you are damn lucky (see Detroit) to have impact players (game changers) picked later.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:for the love of all humanity can we stop trying to trade any prospect or pick for anyone nearer 30 than 20?

This team is NOT a contender, not even freaking close so stop putting a band-aid when the stomach is already ripped open. I don't mind some vets coming in for free so we don't build a losing culture but if take another year or 2 getting a top 5 pick to move forward then I am all for that.

I do not want team that constantly finishes middle of the pack, maybe making the playoffs maybe not making the playoffs. Then once in we pray more to win vs. knowing the guys have the skill to go far. Regardless what some people think it does take a couple years of suckage to get some good youth in or you are damn lucky (see Detroit) to have impact players (game changers) picked later.
But Reef, all people can think about here is getting into a situation like Edmonton and that would scare anyone.
Even Aquillini, who won't tolerate 3 or 4 years of suckage so that's what we're dealing with.
I can't help remembering how players use to be attracted to the idea of coming here and I mean before our little dynasty as well. We have to promote the city and life here and that management will give it's players the best of the best. Edmonton couldn't do that and almost all of their young stars were there because they had to be.
I get what you mean, this in between thing blows but if the seats go empty, "WE ARE ALL DOOMED"
???? Where did I get that??? Oh yeah, down stairs... ;)
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I get what Jim is trying to do, and I do agree that creating a losing environment to get top draft picks is a tough hole to crawl back out of not to mention that it won't fly with the Aqua's and that as long as the Sedins are here that ain't going to happen, BUT in Jim trying to bridge the gap, fix it, due to the terrible 6 years of drafting and developing by the Gillis regime, filling in that middle aged area of the line-up, has essentially created another gap as witnessed by the current dreadful prospect depth, beyond Boesner and Juolevi and Demko. I could care less about where we draft in the order of things, I care more about quantity of draft picks.

I do agree that you can't rebuild on the fly. That's called perpetual, year in year out .500 hockey, Hello Darryl Sutter, Kiprusoff/Iginla era Flames.

With our current ownership, GM'ing in Vancouver is a difficult job as witnessed by the consistent firing of GM's. We are essentially the WIN NOW New York Rangers of the West.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: I don't mind some vets coming in for free so we don't build a losing culture but if take another year or 2 getting a top 5 pick to move forward then I am all for that.

Sure, every team would like to add another high pick or two.

And yeah every team wants to "get lucky".

But I think your Vancouver Canucks are doing okay in that regard...

Gudbranson 3rd overall 2010
Baertschi 13th overall 2011
Horvat 9th overall 2013
Virtanen 6th overall 2014
Juolevi 5th overall 2016
That doesn’t include our Top 2 prospects Boeser + Demko (getting lucky?).
We also have young first-rounders Gaunce + Etem.
And young second-rounders Rodin + Granlund +Markstrom(goalie years?).
(we have youngish former first-rounders Sutter + Sbisa)
We “got lucky” on young Hutton + youngish Tanev.
We’ve got prospects Cassels, Laplante, Garteig, Tryamkin, Subban, Pedan, Stecher, Brisbois, etc.

I'd say we're heading in the right direction but it will take awhile to get there.

(i.e. high-ish drafted players + "getting lucky")

Who knows how good some of the young players will become.

Try to focus on 2-3 years henceforth.

Hopefully I haven't tempted The Blob to comment on Sutter + Sbisa once again...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:for the love of all humanity can we stop trying to trade any prospect or pick for anyone nearer 30 than 20?

Whoa whoa Reef. Apparently Elmer is such a good judge of young talent they he only needs a handful of draft picks every year. He's that fucking good. I mean, the Shinkaruk and Forsling trades prove this point.

Linden Vey for a 2nd rounder was brilliant as well.

There's like this age gap thing and well like we thought We needed some guys they were like good in scrums and like willing to watch tape and like wanted to improve.

Elmer is a genius.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^

When he started this journey...

uncle Jim said we need more meat & potatoes.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benning probably could have made a deal in July to acquire an older player via picks, but after two years of shoring up players in their early 20's, he doesn't have to deal picks anymore for those pieces, so chill reef.

As for trades in general in this cap age era it's really difficult, plus the type of hockey deal we'll end up doing to get what the team needs will take aggressiveness combined with patience unfortunately.

In any case the expansion draft and cap space will eventually shake out a team to give up a player sooner or later that we are after, could be as soon as late sept/early october if a team just wants to get a deal done before the season starts and see's how their rookies are performing over their older players who could get exposed to the draft.

RFA's not signed yet are always intriguing.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Linden Vey for a 2nd rounder was brilliant as well.
If his dad didn't lose his mind Linden Vey would have been a #2 centre Just. Like. Sutter. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote: When he started this journey...

uncle Jim said we need more meat & potatoes.
He's trolling MS and his crew.

Remember that interview where he made it obvious?

He knows this kind of talk is driving the bedwetters mad. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^

Jim didn't have the balls to come out & say - "We don't need no stinkin CREAM PUFFS!"

The politically correct police are a worry these days.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
If his dad didn't lose his mind Linden Vey would have been a #2 centre Just. Like. Sutter. :drink:
Sutter is not a second line centre. Vey just sucks period. 'Twas a bad trade.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote: Jim didn't have the balls to come out & say - "We don't need no stinkin CREAM PUFFS!"

The politically correct police are a worry these days.
Lol well done sir, hard to tell the testers from the testees around here!

See you in the movies...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Sutter is not a second line centre. Vey just sucks period. 'Twas a bad trade.
Yeahno, no way for Jimbo to know the old man was a bloodsucking vampire.

I guess in retrospect drafting unlucky Luc was a mistake too eh? :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.