Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Trading Edler and Tanev in the same season is not smart. They are heavy minute guys who will disrupt the inevitable game long fire drill. It's one or the other not both. Pick the one the brings back the best return
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Trading Edler and Tanev in the same season is not smart.

They are heavy minute guys who will disrupt the inevitable game long fire drill. It's one or the other not both. Pick the one the brings back the best return
True, plus the team needs to see if right side dman Gudbranson is worth signing long term or trade him away at the 2018 TDD, another factor to consider before keeping or moving Tanev.

Edler makes the most sense to move sometime within the next year, thanks to Juolevi probably coming in full time most likely in 2018/19 in the bottom pairing, sheltered minutes while he adjusts to the pro's in a proper developed manner.

Hutton and Tanev could form a #1 pairing for a few years when/if Edler is traded, they have the right blend of offense and defense skill sets/chemistry.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

All this being said, BUT: Is Edler completely healthy or is his back always somewhat of an issue.
Something to judge yourselves because it isn't the type of knowledge that is just thrown out there.
My hunch for a long time is it isn't right. Not 100%.
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Trading Edler and Tanev in the same season is not smart. They are heavy minute guys who will disrupt the inevitable game long fire drill. It's one or the other not both. Pick the one the brings back the best return
Keep one so that the Canucks can stay "competitive" ?

I think the return to relevance will take more than the oft-mentioned 1-2 years. By the time the Canucks can hope to be good again, neither of these players will be able to contribute much to a good team beyond mentorship. (Tanev will decay rapidly because his smaller frame takes a pounding).

The only thing the 2017-2018 Canucks need is more draft picks (or maybe high-ceiling prospects, if that's really more your style). And, returning to an earlier theme, some high-quality grit to provide a safer learning environment for the youngest players (many of whom, as previously noted, are on the smaller side). If the market is strong now, trade them. If it isn't, take a chance that they will both stay healthy and have good seasons and hold them until the trade deadline, when the value of serviceable defencemen usually peaks.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol I don't think this team would be competitive if you kept both and added Doughty and Ryan Johansen. I just think the defence can't be a complete and utter tire fire for 82 games. It's riddled with holes but you need to shelter the young guys somewhat and Edler and Tanev do a decent job of that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One advantage of keeping both is we don't have to rush Juolevi. If the kid is ready, fine, make room for him. But if he is still on the cusp I see no harm in letting him play out his final year in junior. I know some will say he has nothing left to learn or prove in junior but one additional year of weight training and strength building will certainly help him get ready for the NHL. Heck, let him play for the Finnish Olympic team if Bettman still refuses to let NHLers go, which since the schedule is out looks like more than just a threat.

Edler will definitely be harder to trade given his NTC. But if the twins announce their retirement for the end of the year he may be inclined to waive at the deadline to a contender this season. Otherwise I could see him holding on until TDL 2019.

Tanev' value, I think, is at its peak.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:One advantage of keeping both is we don't have to rush Juolevi. If the kid is ready, fine, make room for him. But if he is still on the cusp I see no harm in letting him play out his final year in junior. I know some will say he has nothing left to learn or prove in junior but one additional year of weight training and strength building will certainly help him get ready for the NHL. Heck, let him play for the Finnish Olympic team if Bettman still refuses to let NHLers go, which since the schedule is out looks like more than just a threat.

Edler will definitely be harder to trade given his NTC. But if the twins announce their retirement for the end of the year he may be inclined to waive at the deadline to a contender this season. Otherwise I could see him holding on until TDL 2019.

Tanev' value, I think, is at its peak.
What's the rush? Even if we traded Edler or Tanev (or both), we'll still have Biega, Weircoch, Holm and Pedan. Will also be curious to see how Brisebois adapts to the AHL.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Guess the advantage of moving Edler now is he's healthy, on a roll from the World's, currently his value is above average, especially with the lack of available dmen available.

A proven, rugged top 2 LD dman who can log huge minutes who has two years left on his contract should be worth a couple assets (youth/prospects/pick(s)) for our current rebuild.

And as IN said, we have a few depth guys who can play with Stecher on the bottom pairing.

Hutton - Tanev
MDZ - Guds
Holm/Pedan - Stecher
Biega - Wiercoch
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote:Guess the advantage of moving Edler now is he's healthy, on a roll from the World's, currently his value is above average, especially with the lack of available dmen available.

A proven, rugged top 2 LD dman who can log huge minutes who has two years left on his contract should be worth a couple assets (youth/prospects/pick(s)) for our current rebuild.
His value is 'Above average' according to who?? Vegas has the cornered the market on defencemen. The still have too many (10 NHLers, I think??) Soon, they will be forced To dump a couple more of them for their roster so the price can't help but go down to any other team trying to move a guy. If I can see that Vegas has to move a guy or 2 still, any GM can see that.

I can't really see any GM's making any big moves (and moving a top 2 guy is a big move) on D until Vegas sells some of their journeymen guys, thus setting the price.

While I agree that it would be nice to sell Edler for a couple assets (I have been driving the 'trade Edler' bus for months now), I just don't see how you realistically get anything 'above average' for a return for him.. the market is all wrong right now.. If Benning manages to move Edler, his rep, and his contract this offseason for any decent return, I will be mighty impressed.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."