Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Iceman2014 »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Erickson was a terrible signing for a team like this. Anyone defending it is either a troll or a fucking retard.
On the day he was signed:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 44#p261944
Blob Mckenzie [color=#FF0000]Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:42 pm[/color] wrote: I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
That is one epic burn. Mind you, it isn't too tough to do considering who you burned :drink:

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

SKYO wrote:My preference for Tanev was to keep him till we need a young center for the future ala post-sedins era #Twinsition, I guess now is the time to make a move in this moving and shakin' market.

Looking at Arizona's needs it's a seasoned #1C to move Dvorak to #2C, and a top right dman to play with OEL, with their trade chips Strome, picks #7, #23. - they got way too much youth down the middle.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/line ... na-coyotes

I was going to complicate it with a 3way-Tanev to NYR, Stepan to AZ, D. Strome to Canucks, but those rarely happen.

So just make it easy and send Tanev (corsi fave, Chakra(sp) loves analytics) for Strome, they can trade picks for a veteran center they really need.

Canucks at #5 still draft another center, unless Makar is still available.

Does Strome still look like a future #1 centre? I think that'd be pretty good but I haven't checked on Strome's development.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strome is awful. I'd be Island Nucklehead manic depressed if he ended up here
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Erickson was a terrible signing for a team like this. Anyone defending it is either a troll or a fucking retard.

Blob Mckenzie [color=#FF0000]Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:42 pm[/color] wrote: I don't mind Eriksson, he's a good player and a solid two way guy. Sure the term all of the top line guys got is a bit long, but that's what it takes to land a big fish on July 1. A Brouwer or a Mcginn on top of Loui would have been a good day for Ignitowski.
That is one epic burn. Mind you, it isn't too tough to do considering who you burned :drink:
Not really an epic burn, but for someone like yourself who couldn't burn a gas soaked rag with a lit match ,I guess it's epic in your world.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Iceman2014 wrote:
SKYO wrote: So just make it easy and send Tanev (corsi fave, Chakra(sp) loves analytics) for Strome, they can trade picks for a veteran center they really need.

Canucks at #5 still draft another center, unless Makar is still available.

Does Strome still look like a future #1 centre? I think that'd be pretty good but I haven't checked on Strome's development.
75 points in 35 games this season, 34pts in 22 playoff games.

Then Strome topped that off winning MVP in the memorial cup.

So yeah this big fella has some #1c #2c capability.

AZ fans just hate Tippett who doesn't give alot of rookies much slack to develop.
Now with the Coyotes having a shitload of rookies and wanting to improve now not later, it's a good time to nab Strome.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Not really an epic burn, but for someone like yourself who couldn't burn a gas soaked rag with a lit match ,I guess it's epic in your world.
Wrong. It was pretty awesome. It's great when bullshit artists/shit talkers get exposed.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Wrong. It was pretty awesome. It's great when bullshit artists/shit talkers get exposed.
I would like to know how it is bullshit to say you don't mind something initially, and then revise the opinion in hindsight.

Initially Messier was a great pick-up for the Canucks. Nobody would have thought that adding him was going to be a bad thing. The results were near putrid in retrospect.

Most people were excited when Gillis added David Booth. Nobody was excited at the end of that first season.

Many were also happy with the Jason Garrison signing.....but we couldn't wait to show him the door when Benning showed up and traded him.

The reverse is also true.....

I'm pretty sure most of us thought meh about Anson Carter. But wow, what a season.

So.....

Eriksson was a good signing initially as the team was still selling playoffs to themselves and some witless fans. I don't think anyone was really happy with the cap hit or term, but it is what it is come UFA days in July. The production we received from him was abysmal, and par for the course for this player in his first year with any team.

The stupidity of the signing is that you know his track record in year one, you know that the Sedins are declining and that's who he was brought in to play with, his success with them has been in international play, which is simply never a reliable translator to the NHL. His age, combined with the age of the Sedins, means that you are going to need production out of him that lives up to $6M worth of cap space for at least 2 years after the Sedins are gone, now it's looking like 4. Eriksson is not a physical player, this team needed some muscle in the top-6. There are plenty of reasons why this was a poor decision, but most of them are far more evident in hindsight.....and when you look at the overall picture of the team last year, this was indeed a brutal signing and has a very good chance of being a contract that we will be hating next July.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bubbles corked
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Meds wrote:
Eriksson was a good signing initially as the team was still selling playoffs to themselves and some witless fans. I don't think anyone was really happy with the cap hit or term, but it is what it is come UFA days in July. The production we received from him was abysmal, and par for the course for this player in his first year with any team.

The stupidity of the signing is that you know his track record in year one, you know that the Sedins are declining and that's who he was brought in to play with, his success with them has been in international play, which is simply never a reliable translator to the NHL. His age, combined with the age of the Sedins, means that you are going to need production out of him that lives up to $6M worth of cap space for at least 2 years after the Sedins are gone, now it's looking like 4. Eriksson is not a physical player, this team needed some muscle in the top-6. There are plenty of reasons why this was a poor decision, but most of them are far more evident in hindsight.....and when you look at the overall picture of the team last year, this was indeed a brutal signing and has a very good chance of being a contract that we will be hating next July.
If he falters next year again there will be talk of a buyout I'd guess...he does have a history of looking like ass with his new teams but jeezus he looked unbelievably bad for us.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Meds wrote:I would like to know how it is bullshit to say you don't mind something initially, and then revise the opinion in hindsight.

Initially Messier was a great pick-up for the Canucks. Nobody would have thought that adding him was going to be a bad thing. The results were near putrid in retrospect.

Most people were excited when Gillis added David Booth. Nobody was excited at the end of that first season.

Many were also happy with the Jason Garrison signing.....but we couldn't wait to show him the door when Benning showed up and traded him.

The reverse is also true.....

I'm pretty sure most of us thought meh about Anson Carter. But wow, what a season.

So.....

Meds, why don't you just take your nuanced and reasoned analysis and go....

Er, I mean +1.

This next year will be more telling, in that the "first year jitters" excuse will no longer be valid. I do hope that he does find some chemistry and blow us away with elite level scoring but I can't say I have much faith in that.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Meds wrote:If he falters next year again there will be talk of a buyout I'd guess...he does have a history of looking like ass with his new teams but jeezus he looked unbelievably bad for us.
It's not so much how bad he looked, but how disinterested he looked. Hardly a veteran role model for the kids.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Meds wrote

"Eriksson was a good signing initially as the team was still selling playoffs to themselves and some witless fans. I don't think anyone was really happy with the cap hit or term, but it is what it is come UFA days in July. The production we received from him was abysmal, and par for the course for this player in his first year with any team"

Hate to break it to you Meds the team is still selling playoffs to themselves. The goal has been and reamains, be competitive every night and make the playoffs. Just because Benning traded Hansen and Burrows doesn't imply a change of course.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Hate to break it to you Meds the team is still selling playoffs to themselves. The goal has been and reamains, be competitive every night and make the playoffs. Just because Benning traded Hansen and Burrows doesn't imply a change of course.
At best that's a nice fantasy, and a dangerous delusion at worst.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Hate to break it to you Meds the team is still selling playoffs to themselves. The goal has been and reamains, be competitive every night and make the playoffs. Just because Benning traded Hansen and Burrows doesn't imply a change of course.
At best that's a nice fantasy, and a dangerous delusion at worst.

It has been and always will be the goal. How realistic it is is another story :mrgreen:

My point is that some people think the trading of Hansen and Burrows were signs that Benning " finally" admitted he was wrong and started to execute a "true" rebuild. While all along he has been retooling, transitioning, rebuilding in a way that made sense to him. Trading Hansen and Burrows changed the perceptions of what some had but they didn't change Benning's mind or plan one bit.
The only HW the Canucks need

bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I don't think Benning has changed his plan one Iota since he started. People are getting hung up on semantics around what word is being used. I don't think he has been able to make some of the moves he was hoping to make, but I do think he has stayed true to his original plan. I think he has taken a bare cupboard and managed to barter his way to some thing he can start to build on in earnest. I want a team that is intent on making the playoffs every year. It is how you build winning culture. I expect this team to make the playoffs this year.