Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by 2Fingers »

Edler would not get you a top 5 pick.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

With Dallas/Nill saying #3 pick is available, it seems like Tanev plus taking on Lehtonen's salary could be the core of a deal that has the #3 pick coming our way. They have to dump one of those goalie salaries, and Tanev seems a perfect fit for the Stars in age, quality and contract. Deal may well involve other pieces, but if Lindenning are open to moving Tanev (the sense is they're not, which is too bad if true) this could set up a little like Burke grabbing the 2 and 3 picks in 99 to get Sedins. Here, if we get could 3 and 5 (get a center and a top D), this is the move to stock high end talent that could blossom in 4-5 years. I don't think it will actually happen given this management group, but the table seems set for them to try if they're serious about this rebuild...here's hoping,
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Boston Canucker wrote:With Dallas/Nill saying #3 pick is available, it seems like Tanev plus taking on Lehtonen's salary could be the core of a deal that has the #3 pick coming our way. They have to dump one of those goalie salaries, and Tanev seems a perfect fit for the Stars in age, quality and contract. Deal may well involve other pieces, but if Lindenning are open to moving Tanev (the sense is they're not, which is too bad if true) this could set up a little like Burke grabbing the 2 and 3 picks in 99 to get Sedins. Here, if we get could 3 and 5 (get a center and a top D), this is the move to stock high end talent that could blossom in 4-5 years. I don't think it will actually happen given this management group, but the table seems set for them to try if they're serious about this rebuild...here's hoping,
To me, the idea is sound. I think the Vancouver hockey market has finally had it's eyes opened, the last 2 years and would appreciate a strong effort.
Chris is a very good defense man and you know exactly what your getting. Great for a team that needs to compete now. It's been enough time that I don't think his game will evolve to any further degree in Vancouver and we are continuing to see a 20 to 30 man games missed with him per season.
A 3rd overall along with our 5th, seems to me, would do a lot for the organization.
I would hope Linden could sense that...
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think it's a solid ideal to aim high for #3 with Dallas, but this probably leads to a smaller deal with the pieces being Edler - top 4 LD, and Granlund - top 6 forward cost controlled probable 20 goal scorer for their 30th overall pick, plus Lindell (LD), and one of their younger big depth forward guy.

That way the Dallas Stars get their veteran left dman and still are able to draft Heiskanen so they get their dman for their window now, and are setup for the future.

While the Canucks get a couple young pieces and another decent pick, not third overall, but a decent 30th.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Reefer2 wrote:Edler would not get you a top 5 pick.
In this draft, Edler would absolutely get you a top 5 pick. I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over yours. No, Bob didn't mention Edler but he did say Dallas may not get a top 6 forward or a top 4 D for their #3 overall pick. I really don't know where some of the geniuses on this board get their info/opinions from. I tend to lean towards respected sources and people actually hearing the inside info. Although it's nice to come here and see what the kids think....not.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Boston Canucker wrote:With Dallas/Nill saying #3 pick is available, it seems like Tanev plus taking on Lehtonen's salary could be the core of a deal that has the #3 pick coming our way. They have to dump one of those goalie salaries, and Tanev seems a perfect fit for the Stars in age, quality and contract. Deal may well involve other pieces, but if Lindenning are open to moving Tanev (the sense is they're not, which is too bad if true) this could set up a little like Burke grabbing the 2 and 3 picks in 99 to get Sedins. Here, if we get could 3 and 5 (get a center and a top D), this is the move to stock high end talent that could blossom in 4-5 years. I don't think it will actually happen given this management group, but the table seems set for them to try if they're serious about this rebuild...here's hoping,
If I understand you correctly, you are saying the aggressiveness with which the ownership/management group pursues the #3 overall is a litmus test of their commitment to a rebuild. If so, I agree with you.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Iceman stop it, I'm assuming BMac was talking about players in their prime or younger, on a good contract top 6/top 4.

For Edler the best case is Dallas 30th oa, which is basically a freebie 1st for the Stars from the Eaves trade, so Dallas can easily move that pick for help. Edler is worth more than Garrison and what Bieksa got (2nd rounder), as Edler can play top pairing minutes still, he's eats up 23-25 minutes per game no problem and his contract is decent.

Alex Edler is basically the perfect top 4 Left Dman for a team whose window to win it is within these next two years.

Four teams off the top of my head that will be interested into trading for Edler:
Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, Ottawa Senators if they lose Methot in the expansion draft and the Habs.

Edler the exact same height/weight as Rob Blake was playing, 6'3, 215lbs, so physically he can handle the majority of forwards in the league.

In any case, if we do deal Edler, I prefer a young LD coming back in some form or fashion in that deal or another trade.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

This team in all honesty needs to trade both Tanev AND Edler, load right the fuck up on picks/prospects and have an eye on the Svechnikov-Dahlin draft next year. The on-ice product this coming year shouldn't be the priority considering the lack of depth at every position. Horvat to me is a good 2nd liner and then we have Boeser, Juolevi and Demko...after that its pathetic....ya ya ya there are a few maybes but come on

Benning also should be looking into moving the twins out at the deadline or even sooner for whatever they can command...although not sure whos buying unless we eat 75% of their salaries. Why do we need plodding geriatrics gobbling up 15+ minutes a night when they're clearly on retirements doorstep and we need to turn coal into diamonds ASAP?

This is basically what Shanny and turtlehead did when they arrived in toiletville...
If you need air...call it in
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

SKYO wrote:Iceman stop it, I'm assuming BMac was talking about players in their prime or younger, on a good contract top 6/top 4.

For Edler the best case is Dallas 30th oa, which is basically a freebie 1st for the Stars from the Eaves trade, so Dallas can easily move that pick for help. Edler is worth more than Garrison and what Bieksa got (2nd rounder), as Edler can play top pairing minutes still, he's eats up 23-25 minutes per game no problem and his contract is decent.

Alex Edler is basically the perfect top 4 Left Dman for a team whose window to win it is within these next two years.

Four teams off the top of my head that will be interested into trading for Edler:
Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, Ottawa Senators if they lose Methot in the expansion draft and the Habs.

Edler the exact same height/weight as Rob Blake was playing, 6'3, 215lbs, so physically he can handle the majority of forwards in the league.

In any case, if we do deal Edler, I prefer a young LD coming back in some form or fashion in that deal or another trade.

Uh, no, you stop it. Bmac? WTF are you talking about? Bob McKenzie's report. I have no idea what you're going on about. The #3 pick in a weak draft isn't worth a top 6 forward or top 4 D as per McKenzie. Maybe someone in the low end. Also, ,many have said this draft may not yield a top line player or top pairing D. Hence Bobby M making those types of comments. I have no idea how you piece your logic together but it's just rather...odd.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Edler would not get you a top 5 pick.
In this draft, Edler would absolutely get you a top 5 pick. I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over yours. No, Bob didn't mention Edler but he did say Dallas may not get a top 6 forward or a top 4 D for their #3 overall pick. I really don't know where some of the geniuses on this board get their info/opinions from. I tend to lean towards respected sources and people actually hearing the inside info. Although it's nice to come here and see what the kids think....not.
So your opinion of Bob McKenzie's statement is that would get the 3rd overall? Ok, its nice to come here and see what you think ....

I'm sure aware that top-5 picks don't get traded very often. Other than the inadvertent #2 going to Boston for Kessel, Toronto traded two 2nds and a 3rd to go from 9th to 5th in 2008, that's it for top 5 picks being traded in the past decade. Since the Sedins in 1999, the only top-3 pick to get deliberately traded was the Spezza pick in 2001 (part of the Yashin deal).

Edler is a 60-game, 20+ point defenceman. He is in the top-20 for icetime in the NHL, however he is clearly the worst of those top-20 dmen (fewest points, worst +/-, fewest GP). The only 1st round pick to get traded for a dman this season was Shattenkirk (with 56 points) going for Washington's mid-20s pick.

I will be surprised if Edler is traded for more than a 2nd round pick. I certainly wouldn't trade the Canucks 5th OA for a player comparable to Edler. He doesn't bring youth, upside, offense, or durability. I don't even think there's a package built around Edler that would get the 3rd overall. I'd take the Ducks' 1st for Edler and run.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Iceman do YOU actually think Edler is worth a 3rd overall pick? :scowl:

Say it ain't so.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote:This team in all honesty needs to trade both Tanev AND Edler, load right the fuck up on picks/prospects and have an eye on the Svechnikov-Dahlin draft next year. The on-ice product this coming year shouldn't be the priority considering the lack of depth at every position.
Seconded.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Maybe the Canucks draft Brady Tkachuk in 2018, wouldn't that be something. Wasn't impressed with Veleno in last nights game. How did this jack ass get special status? Funny, the game last night saw two special status flops - Sean Day and Joe Veleno.

I'd be happy drafting this D - man McIsaac in 2018, but Dahlin looks like the next big star on Defence. Svechnikov is through the roof talented, would be happy landing him, but the new lottery system is not a friend of the Canucks so why bother?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:Iceman do YOU actually think Edler is worth a 3rd overall pick? :scowl:

Say it ain't so.
Ice must have hit the Ice hard when posting this.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

SKYO wrote:Iceman do YOU actually think Edler is worth a 3rd overall pick? :scowl:

Say it ain't so.
Personally, I wouldn't deal this year's 3rd for Edler but I could see it happening. This year's draft is supposedly void of high end talent. So, if a contender or a vet team wants to load up then I could see this being a possibility.

This forum seems to like dumping shit on Edler. Fair enough. You guys say whatever you want. I think Edler would do OK, not great, on a contenders second pairing. When he's motivated, he can play. Also, you're going to see a ton of warts when you put any player on a poor team like the Canucks. Obviously a player will do much better when surrounded by better talent and a smarter coach (yes, a shot at old WD).

Anyway, there ya have it!

I also see some wanting to deal Edler AND Tanev. Add me to that list. I'd want picks and prospects and load up as much as I can. Throughout Canuck history, you rarely see such a bold move. I think that's the part of the reason they've never won. They were a great franchise for a dozen or so years recently but never won. I think it's time to be a bit more bold and make some big trades and add as much young talent as you can. They really don't have much to lose...you can only finish a couple spots lower now and there isn't a ton of high end talent in the system so there really is no cavalry coming to save this franchise right now.