Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 16-17 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Sbisa and Trymakin quietly forming a nice D pairing.
The only players on the right side of the +/-. Whod've thunk it?
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

5thhorseman wrote:
You must be trolling for geologists
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
You must be trolling for geologists
Anyone experienced with rock may comment ...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

As soon as ROR and Eichel come back to the Sabres,

Tanev + JV for Sam Reinhart and a cap dump like Moulson.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

SKYO wrote:As soon as ROR and Eichel come back to the Sabres,

God I hope Benning doesn't make that deal. Pass. It's way too soon to minimize JV to that level. Tanev is quite valuable. High end D should be able to bring back a better return.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Iceman2014 wrote:

God I hope Benning doesn't make that deal. Pass. It's way too soon to minimize JV to that level. Tanev is quite valuable. High end D should be able to bring back a better return.
I, for one, am in no way, ready to give up on JV.
Do I believe he's getting a raw deal here? Yeah, actually I do, to some degree.
Not saying he has handled it well but for crying out loud, I know what I saw in him at times last year and that was BIG TIME potential. I refuse to think it just went bye-byes... :evil:
"evolution"
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:

I, for one, am in no way, ready to give up on JV.
Do I believe he's getting a raw deal here? Yeah, actually I do, to some degree.
Not saying he has handled it well but for crying out loud, I know what I saw in him at times last year and that was BIG TIME potential. I refuse to think it just went bye-byes... :evil:
The Canucks have never been known as a team that is overly adept at developing their youth properly.

When it comes to coaching the young guys at the NHL level and helping them reach their potential, Quinn was pretty good, so was Crow. Vigneault was terrible, and Willie seems next to useless.

Willie isn't on the hook by himself though. One thing Gillis and Co were good at was keeping youth in the minors to develop, and they rarely kept a young guy in the press box or on the bench for long periods. It was either perform here or go learn down in the AHL.....Lindenning have not been as good there.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Meds wrote: The Canucks have never been known as a team that is overly adept at developing their youth properly.

When it comes to coaching the young guys at the NHL level and helping them reach their potential, Quinn was pretty good, so was Crow. Vigneault was terrible, and Willie seems next to useless.

Willie isn't on the hook by himself though. One thing Gillis and Co were good at was keeping youth in the minors to develop, and they rarely kept a young guy in the press box or on the bench for long periods. It was either perform here or go learn down in the AHL.....Lindenning have not been as good there.
It was mostly because they had no one to develop, ya know with their shitty drafting history.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Young kids get a ton of chances with WD. Vey, Hutton, Stetcher, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce this year, Trymakin. Last year Virtanen and McCann got a ton of chances.

Horvat made the team the year before but he had to earn his ice time.

The problem began last year with the decision to keep Virtanen and McCann past the 10 game period. By that time it was clear neither was ready for the NHL.

The question should be, what was wrong with McCann and Virtanen to get to a point of not having the coach's confidence. Virtanen DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE IN THE LINE UP AT THIS POINT. He is better served playing top six minutes under Green and figuring out whatever it is he needs to figure out. Baertschi went through this with Calgary. Took him until late last year for him to say he finally figured out what he needed to do to stay in the line up. The smartest thing that the Canucks have done for Jake and for the team was to send him to Utica. I still have high hopes for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

FWIW, I have a trusted source with access to inside knowledge of the Calgary Hitmen dressing room during the time JV played for them and he was not well liked by his teammates and was considered an A-hole by his teammates. He was very full of himself and a me-first-guy. I was excited when they drafted him but hearing this leaves me concerned. Hopefully, he will mature but he sounds like Evander Kane without the NHL resume to me.
:(
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I remember posters at Cowpuke being thrilled we drafted him because they thought he was an ahole too. Seems a number of people who saw him play were not high on him at such a high draft pick.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:I remember posters at Cowpuke being thrilled we drafted him because they thought he was an ahole too. Seems a number of people who saw him play were not high on him at such a high draft pick.
I thought we wanted assholes...

There was always a risk he'd turn into Raffi Torres. Certainly not looking like a top-6 power forward right now, but it's early. He didn't belong in the NHL last season (many said so), but was gifted a spot sell a farcical youth movement. I don't know what the NHL-WHL rules are when it comes to $$, but surely the Canucks could've worked out a trade for the benefit of the Hitmen and JV (Hitmen trade JV to Victoria for draft picks and $250,000 of Aquadough).

Sometimes you get Sean Monahan, sometimes you get Sam Gagner.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey_God wrote:FWIW, I have a trusted source with access to inside knowledge of the Calgary Hitmen dressing room during the time JV played for them and he was not well liked by his teammates and was considered an A-hole by his teammates. He was very full of himself and a me-first-guy. I was excited when they drafted him but hearing this leaves me concerned. Hopefully, he will mature but he sounds like Evander Kane without the NHL resume to me.
:(
This isn't news but apparently I was full of shit when I said pretty much the exact same thing, kind of like how I was raked over the coals when I posted in the off season how Virtanen was in terrible shape, got that bit of news from a pretty good source

There was a reason Jake was yanked out of Calgary. He is definitely work in progress, whom may never progress
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The other headcase - McCann was sent to the minors today. Lol. Boy we got raped in the Gudbranson trade
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and Eddie was sent to the quiet room
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.