2016 Youngstars Tournament in Penticton

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

bckev
CC Veteran

Re: 2016 Youngstars Tournament in Penticton

Post by bckev » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Nuckster you and are watching different games. I am so glad the Canucks took Ollie over tachuk. Ollie's game is going to shine at the NHL level. Ollie's game today not his best but still shows so much in the little things he does well. His outlet passes, his vision on the ice etc. No stand out offensive stars for the Canucks but lots of meat and potato type players.

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 pm

SKYO wrote:*edit I see in/hw have already spoken about dmen taking more time to mature/develop than scoring forwards.
nuckster wrote:Juolevi was directly responsible for one of Winnipeg's goals; he was poke-checked at the Jets blue-line and the Jet's fwd then went on a breakaway an scored. You could tell from his body language that he felt bad about it - Rick Green's asst. gave him a couple pats on the back on the bench immediately afterwards (ya you blew it but try not to get too down about it). They put Juolevi right back out there 2 shifts later to get him back in the groove.

The team worked hard and deserved the win - albeit with no real-star like performances. I watched Juolevi like a hawk. Sorry guys, but I have to say it, there's really nothing extraordinary happening there. He will likely go back to Jr. this year and he might make the big club in 2 or three seasons.

Cassels is playing better - he scored today too!

Well everyone predicted Juolevi will go back to London this year, which is better for 2way dmen to do just that, plus London is a great junior team for development.

Green said Juolevi has the skillset to play better in a structured environment.

JB said 18 year old's typically have this mindset they can make the NHL easypeasy, but soon realize they got a lot of work to do, this holds especially true for dmen and goalies.

Juolevi will likely take over Edler's spot in a few years when Eddie's contract expires, that's how I see it in 2019/20, it's been a couple pickup games for the young guys so ya need to chill out nuckster aha.

Glad to hear Cassels has been standing out thus far, can't wait for exhibition games starting on the 27th next Tuesday.
Appreciate the cooler heads and broader perspective on things.
cc oldtimer

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:14 pm

I think Nuckster needs new glasses also...

Juolevi is the real deal, he will be playing NHL games next year

Tkachuk will have a hard time making the flames for 2 or 3 years, and that is if he survives, somebody will clean his clock if he keeps playing like he does.... Jankowski is the star on the flames team

Canucks dominated the game today, 2 bad giveaways were turned into goals, other than that the jets didn't muster much..

Joe Labate absolutely crushed a guy in the first period

I have yet to see all the hype on the jets prospects Connor & Lemeiux are the only ones with a chance to make the NHL

I like Stecher alot, very steady

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:35 pm

TDA Rum wrote:I think Nuckster needs new glasses also...

Tkachuk will have a hard time making the flames for 2 or 3 years, and that is if he survives, somebody will clean his clock if he keeps playing like he does.... Jankowski is the star on the flames team

Canucks dominated the game today, 2 bad giveaways were turned into goals, other than that the jets didn't muster much..

I have yet to see all the hype on the jets prospects Connor & Lemeiux are the only ones with a chance to make the NHL

Not Laine?

I too have been impressed with Stecher. There may not be room for him this year, especially since it's only Hutton's second year and the first chance to really see Trymakin, but he already looks like the first call up and a step ahead of Subban on the D side of the puck.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
TDA Rum wrote: I like Stecher alot, very steady
I too have been impressed with Stecher. There may not be room for him this year, especially since it's only Hutton's second year and the first chance to really see Trymakin, but he already looks like the first call up and a step ahead of Subban on the D side of the puck.
Stecher getting some love..I like how Stecher respected the Canucks/JB way of getting Stecher, no sugar coating, the straight goods.

He has the right skillset/age and attitude to succeed, it'll be interesting to watch the race between him and Subban the next couple weeks.
Canucks fans are going to love the never-surrender motor that drives Stecher’s game. Undrafted, and on the small side, he’s listed at 5-foot-8 here, the NHL odds are not in his favour. But there is more than a few scouts here who like his chances.

“He is going to make it work, he’ll find away,” one said. “Just watch.”

When you do, you’ll see a player who is vocal, cocksure and all-in on just about every play.

“He’s one of the players who always wants to be on the ice, wants to practise and loves competing,” Young Stars head coach Travis Green said.

The 22-year-old, of course, is hoping he starts this season in Vancouver instead of Utica. With lots of NHL interest, signing the college free agent was no slam dunk for the Canucks, and what seems to have tipped the scales in their favour was the fact that Ben Hutton went from nowhere to top-four defenceman in what seemed like 15 minutes last fall.

“It is important,” Stecher said. “I wanted to go to an organization that wasn’t going to sugar-coat anything. They never guaranteed anything. Other teams (came) big, ‘Oh, you’re going to play the full season next year.’

“Once you sign, they can do whatever they want with you. You have to pick and choose which people are being honest and hard-nosed with you and that’s something I really respected about Vancouver.

“They told me if I come to camp and earn a spot, then I’ll play.”

Stecher grew up in the Vancouver area and was back in the city in May, when he started working out every day with Canucks veterans. The organization, which believes he can be an Andrew Ference or a Mike Weaver type, was really impressed with the gains Stecher was able to make training in the summer. They also think he’s wired like a leader. Green called his locker-room personality “infectious.”

“I like to work hard,” Stecher said. “With hard work comes leadership. Guys want to follow someone who is working hard. A lot of people have doubted me because of my size.”

Asked what he does to compensate, Stecher said: “A lot of the smaller skilled guys can be a bit perimeter, but I like to get into corners and fight my way around bigger guys and try to use my body to an advantage.

“People think it’s a disadvantage, but being net-front, people might take my weight lightly and last second I’m able to push them.

“With every negative there’s a positive.”
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:

Not Laine?

Laine is at the world cup, i meant the players they have here at the Youngstars...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 am

TDA Rum wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Not Laine?

Laine is at the world cup, i meant the players they have here at the Youngstars...
Ok. Just checking. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:56 am

Yeah, you really have to know what it is your seeing.
Juolevi was not bad at all, in fact this tourney is below the level that he's use to and that can make you look bad.
He was visibly trying to direct his team-mates, he was watching everything and those outlet passes were about a foot too long, meaning the game speed was slower than he's use to...
"evolution"

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 am

Jeese Mickey, i doubt u were even there? I watched him closely for two games. He wouldnt even be talked about were it not for the fact he is our first round selection. His play has been 'that' uninspiring, but because hes our first selection, youve got every dog in their day saying shit like, oh he's smooth, best passer ever, directs traffic, etc. Truth is he is totally unnoteworthy (other than how he really fucked up last game), but we have all these people ascribing these positive aspects to his game and it's BS. He wouldnt even be on 'the radar' were it not for his first round selection. Gawd. By the way, the young stars tourney is a lot more intense and faster than Jr hockey. It is quite possible that Juolevi is nervous. I think he's probably been taken by surprise by how fast and intense it all is. He probably did himself a disservice too by talking about how he's a thinker and is hockey smart.
cc oldtimer

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:48 am

Book it! Juolevi is a bust, folks!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 am

RoyalDude wrote:Book it! Juolevi is a bust, folks!
In that case, I'll swap my 7th round pick in my fantasy league, and take the kid off your hands, RD.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 am

Wow!
I think "Book em Danno" would be more accurate!

So like it's freakin September!

At this rate, some Yahoo is going to use that "T" word today.

I will verbally crush them.. :crazy:
"evolution"

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:06 am

An 18 year old kid is being written off already. No wonder some folks hate canuck fans.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 am

damonberryman wrote:An 18 year old kid is being written off already. No wonder some folks hate canuck fans.
Yeah, really...
"evolution"

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:27 am

Just in case anyone needed a kick to the nuts today.
Gustav Forsling is an NHL player right now. While he’s not exactly facing NHL competition in the rookie tournament, he’s been by far the best defenseman on the ice in the Blackhawks’ first two games. One NHL scout said, “He’s the best player in the tournament.”

Forsling skates at a high level which benefits in all zones. He can break up plays with his stick. He’s isn’t afraid to get involved offensively, but he picks his spots and is mindful of his defensive responsibilities. He’s poised with the puck with or without pressure coming out of the defensive zone and is comfortable carrying the puck out himself or finding a forward for a breakout. He can also create offensively with a strong shot and distributing the puck. On one play Saturday, he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone, took off for the offensive zone and placed a wrist shot over the goalie’s left shoulder from the left circle for a goal.

The issue now for the Blackhawks is they likely have an NHL-ready defenseman, but don’t have a NHL place for him. As ESPN NHL draft and prospect analyst Corey Pronman said Saturday, “I know there’s not any roster spots on the Blackhawks, but he could play in the NHL right now.”