Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:12 pm Pretty stoked about this kid lining up on our blue line. The team hasnt drafted a hitter since edler or bxa
Same here, can see him #2 behind Huges in 3 - 4 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 pm Jett Woo.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=187372
Look at the +/-
Too bad he has to go back.
This kid could play in Utica right now.
He would get murdered in Utica as an 18 year old.

His +/- was middle of the pack on his team. They were a powerhouse. He was on the second defence pairing. He’s a nice prospect but he will do well to excel in junior next year and hopefully make a WJC team in the next two years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm
Look at the +/-

His +/- was middle of the pack on his team. They were a powerhouse. He was on the second defence pairing. He’s a nice prospect but he will do well to excel in junior next year and hopefully make a WJC team in the next two years.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm
Look at the +/-

Facts, but still don't use +/- ever again yo ha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

I saw a game of woo’s and what I liked was he creamed one of the other teams skilled guys(clean), their goon started yapping at him and woo planted his ass on the ice with a hit. He didn’t back down and isn’t scared of anybody, we need some guys like that on our backend. Between woo and tyramkin and guddy our d could be very mean 3-5 years
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Woo was playing more of an offensive style game before he was injured. His team traded for Clague and had him play more of a shut own type defensive game on another pairing after Clague, which was good for rounding out his game. I see him as Quinn Hughes - Jake Muzzin type partner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not really sure where to post this, it's an article from NHL.com's Swedish language site. I looked at the original English language nhl.com and could not seem to find it there, so decided to translate it. Here goes:

The Canucks march onward without the Sedins
New Swedish duo in place to gradually take over after Daniel and Henrik
by Peter Ekholm @ekholmpeter / korrespondent NHL.com/sv
1 september 2018

The NHL teams are about to start their pre-season camps to get ready for the 2018-19 season. Starting on Aug 5th NHL.com/sv will make an in-depth analysis of all teams in a series of articles named ”31 teams in 31 days”. We summarize the talking points, check out the hottest players and go through the strength and weaknesses of all teams.

Today we analyse the Vancouver Canucks.

Twin brothers Henrik and Daniel Sedin have said their goodbyes. The Vancouver Canucks thus face a new era.

Key Players
The Sedins have been key players for the Canucks for 17 seasons, but how about now? There will be a recasting of roles in the Vancouver dressing room. A new captain will be named, and several players need to step up and show some leadership. On ice it is among others the Canadian Bo Horvat who, despite being just 23 years old, is expected to lead the points production and score more than the 44 he did last season.

Brock Boeser will also be a key player on the offense. Even though he was a rookie last season, he scored 29 goals before an injury limited him to just 62 games played, and if it is anything the Canucks need, it’s a goal scorer. Boeser will have pressure on him to be as effective this season, but should definitely be able to live up to it.

A bit further back the goaltender tandem of Jacob Markström and Anders Nilsson will have to instill courage in the blue line. Reliable goaltending is often what can help stabilize a team, and especially during a changing of the guards as the one the Canucks are going through.

The Swedes
Markström and Nilsson are not the only Swedes in Vancouver. The 32 year old defender Alexander Edler is doing his 13th season in a Canuck jersey and is with his experience of course a key player for the team. Edler scored 34 points last season, his highest score since the 2011-12 season.

The forward, Loui Eriksson, 33, has not had the best time since he arrived from the Boston Bruins. Injuries have plagued the Gothenburg native who has only played 65 and 50 games respectively the last two seasons. Last season he was recorded for ten goals and 23 points. Both Vancouver and Eriksson hope the upcoming season will be a comeback for him.

The Vancouver fans will thus get to continue to enjoy blue-and-yellow performances on the ice, but not just from those already mentioned. A new blue-and-yellow duo has arrived: Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlén…

The Talents
Pettersson, 19, and Dahlén, 20, are expected to be the next Swedish duo on a Vancouver Canuck line after the Sedin brothers. Playing together they put on a great show in HockeyAllsvenskan two years ago, and even though they played on different teams last season, they scored heaps of points for Växjö (Pettersson) and Timrå (Dahlén). Pettersson was the best points scorer in the SHL with 56 points and Dahlén came in second in HockeyAllsvenskan with 44 points.

The two of them will arrive to pre-season camp mainly to fight for roster slots, but you can rely on one or both of them getting the chance to play at least a few games this season to gain experience for the future.

Strengths
The Canucks last season wanted to improve certain areas of their game. Creating offense when playing five-on-five was one thing. The powerplay was another. And this they succeded with. Their 21.4 percent was ninth best among the 31 teams.

An upside of the Sedins leaving is that the yoing players will get more room. This could speed up the Canucks and in that way turn the team into an unpleasant surprise for their opponents.

Potential for improvement
The team has no real proven points king. Boeser shared first place with Henrik Sedin at 55 points last season. Someone, or several, need to reach 70 if there is to be playoff hockey played in British Columbia next spring. Apart from that the defense needs to tighten up. Last season only four teams let in more goals than the Canucks, who in 82 games had to pick the puck out of the net a total of 264 times.

The Canucks will reach the playoffs if…
… the generation change succeeds at all levels, Markström and Nilsson spur each other on to excellence in the crease and several new points kings present themselves.
Last edited by Per on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Golly Gee Willikers, I do hope that "Canadian Bo Horvat" does good.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/stat ... 38208?s=21

Elias gonna be beasting it. I bet he’s 180 lbs and ready to rumble
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/stat ... 38208?s=21

With respect to the link, I certainly hope we haven't seen his full physical development.

As for your estimate, I've been looking for a reliable source for player physical stats for a while now. Can you offer any way we could settle such a bet?

I still think it would be great if the Canucks would release some pre-season conditioning test results. All positive spin, of course -- just a handful of the best results presented in a way that would allow them to be construed as typical results -- but it would still be great to have some actual numerical bench marks. "Hutton half-squatted 200kg for 10 reps and registered a VO2[max] of 68 ml/kg/min" would be so much more interesting than "Hutton paid a lot more attention to his off-season training this year and looks good".
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/stat ... 38208?s=21

#alienthumbtech
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

With respect to the link, I certainly hope we haven't seen his full physical development.

As for your estimate, I've been looking for a reliable source for player physical stats for a while now. Can you offer any way we could settle such a bet?

I still think it would be great if the Canucks would release some pre-season conditioning test results. All positive spin, of course -- just a handful of the best results presented in a way that would allow them to be construed as typical results -- but it would still be great to have some actual numerical bench marks. "Hutton half-squatted 200kg for 10 reps and registered a VO2[max] of 68 ml/kg/min" would be so much more interesting than "Hutton paid a lot more attention to his off-season training this year and looks good".
All I’ve seen is he finished his shl season at 173 lbs, so adding 7lbs after a grinding season doesn’t seem unrealistic.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

Searching and searching. Cant find much. Didn't expect to though.
Seriously have reservations the team will release as much pertinent, detailed information you, and many of us, would love to sift through.
Too bad. It would tell me plenty as well.
But hey; We made the #1 spot on a Google search. :wave:
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=tMiOW6f ... _a2YEUIO_8
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 am All I’ve seen is he finished his shl season at 173 lbs, so adding 7lbs after a grinding season doesn’t seem unrealistic.
No, not at all. I think I've added as much during this off season, without even trying. :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

8-2...

I think that maybe these kids are going to be kinda good