Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Lancer »

micky107 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 am Lucky it wasn't something worse.
Hopefully, it will not affect his prep for Canuck's camp in any way.
I was not in agreement with him taking part in the Worlds.
Can play for his country at some later point, W/E.

The Canucks are a business and one that needs a shot in the arm right now.
This kid might be a big part of that.
At least that's the way, IMO, it should be handled.
What a stupid pisser, (an unnecessary one), if all your best young prospects are injured before they get to camp. :look:
Hearing Gadjovich's state of health by the time his season ended, you wonder if he should have been playing at all in the playoffs. Love the attitude, but as a Canucks fan he can save that stuff for NHL vice OHL playoffs. The time that lad will spend resting and rehabbing is time he could be getting faster and ready for camp this Fall.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am Where did you hear this?

He looked passable in garbage time I guess. Then again pretty much anyone does when the competition is Hutton, Biega, Pouliott and Stecher.
what are your expectations for a number 6-7 guy?? he looked fine in that role compared to other rookies in a 6-7 role.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

What a stupid pisser, (an unnecessary one), if all your best young prospects are injured before they get to camp. :look:
The cast should be off in 3-4 weeks, and it is his left hand. I don't think it should be a huge problem.

Also, I think this tournament has been a valuable experience for him. He was almost invisible at first, didn't score till his third game. The game against Switzerland was his best of the tournament, on a line with Backlund and Hörnqvist. I think he has gained some insights as well as some confidence. The broken thumb will heal, but what he learnt on the ice will stay with him.

Both Pettersson and Gustafsson, who also got injured against the Swiss, have requested to stay with the team rather than going home. I like that.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am

The cast should be off in 3-4 weeks, and it is his left hand. I don't think it should be a huge problem.

Also, I think this tournament has been a valuable experience for him. He was almost invisible at first, didn't score till his third game. The game against Switzerland was his best of the tournament, on a line with Backlund and Hörnqvist. I think he has gained some insights as well as some confidence. The broken thumb will heal, but what he learnt on the ice will stay with him.

Both Pettersson and Gustafsson, who also got injured against the Swiss, have requested to stay with the team rather than going home. I like that.
Well, like I say Per, it's lucky. As the new arrivals hit the ice now, this tourney will heat up.
He had a mild illness of some kind, then is feeling better and cracks his hand by fluke.
For him and the Canucks, to me, the most important thing right now is that he gets to camp the best he can be.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:05 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am Where did you hear this?

He looked passable in garbage time I guess. Then again pretty much anyone does when the competition is Hutton, Biega, Pouliott and Stecher.
what are your expectations for a number 6-7 guy?? he looked fine in that role compared to other rookies in a 6-7 role.
I have low to no expectations for him but I sure as hell wouldn’t be making room for him. If he’s good enough he will be taking someone’s job
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Good article about Pettersson:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -298644090
"Here, playing against NHL players, I am not strong enough and I lose the puck kind of easily and then I get frustrated," Pettersson explained. "I feel good that I'm able to play in this world championship and against NHL players and try my game at this level and see what I need to do and where I need to get better. I knew I had to bring my best game and make quick decisions and be smarter with the puck. I learned a lot in these games and it motivates me to train harder and become stronger and better."

As questions swirl about when he will make the jump to North America and try his hand at the NHL, Pettersson knows two things for sure.
"I want to play in the NHL as quick as possible, but I want to be ready to be a good player there," he said. "I don't want to just make it to the NHL and play in a couple games. I want to be a player that makes an impact and helps my team win every night. Is that this year? I don't know. We'll see."
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lee Powell@st
Lee Powell@st
@leepowellST
Pettersson thumb injury said to require "minor surgery", should be back to full training within a month, still seems like Canuck luck, was starting to come on in the tourney, don't often see a thumb injury in collision with post, usually it's from a slash. Uniquely Canuck.
3:01 PM · May 14, 2018

Should be ready for the Young Guns tourney, at least that’s the plan. But if he’s not 100% he’ll be held out.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

It's good to see Pettersson as the realist, no hokey bullshit response he seems wise beyond his years, once he reaches the NHL he'll be like a wild horse, he can't be tamed so hopefully Green will just let him have creative freedom like Boeser to score a ton.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am It's good to see Pettersson as the realist, no hokey bullshit response he seems wise beyond his years, once he reaches the NHL he'll be like a wild horse, he can't be tamed so hopefully Green will just let him have creative freedom like Boeser to score a ton.
so then at minimum he should play 20 - 30 games on the Comets and then come up.

Same for Julio.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am It's good to see Pettersson as the realist, no hokey bullshit response he seems wise beyond his years, once he reaches the NHL he'll be like a wild horse, he can't be tamed so hopefully Green will just let him have creative freedom like Boeser to score a ton.

Same for Julio.
There is no way to predict that right now, we need to see their preseason play vs NHLers, that's the only to see if those two are capable of playing full time in the NHL or need some time in Utica.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Same for Julio.
There is no way to predict that right now, we need to see their preseason play vs NHLers, that's the only to see if those two are capable of playing full time in the NHL or need some time in Utica.
I just like the fact that he is honest with his assessment of skills against the NHL. I agree with you that Green needs to let him be free, make some mistakes. I trust Green, even though I will counter this in the future and Strange will post me saying this, to manage him and the other rookies with the right amount of control.

Really want to see Julio up as well, he does not need another year in Europe.

Release the kids.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Release the kids - facts reef.

-

Matt Brassard a nice article about him https://www.surreynowleader.com/sports/ ... th-oshawa/

6'2 almost 200lbs, Right Shot!, improved skating (can get better), noted two-way type, concentrates on defense first, offense comes naturally, plays with an edge, not a fighter but plays with some nastiness, should be good addition the Comets next season when he signs his pro contract this summer. :thumbs:

If he makes it to the pro's, what a shrewd 7th rounder pick by Benning & his crew.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 am Lee Powell@st
Lee Powell@st
@leepowellST
Pettersson thumb injury said to require "minor surgery", should be back to full training within a month, still seems like Canuck luck, was starting to come on in the tourney, don't often see a thumb injury in collision with post, usually it's from a slash. Uniquely Canuck.
3:01 PM · May 14, 2018

Should be ready for the Young Guns tourney, at least that’s the plan. But if he’s not 100% he’ll be held out.
At this point it would also be, shall we say, comforting to hear that young Elias has signed an entry level contract, no?
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comment ... _european/
Maybe one of you pc pros can find out more.
I'll just be a little less on edge when he says, I wanna Rock in Vancouver in 2018.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm At this point it would also be, shall we say, comforting to hear that young Elias has signed an entry level contract, no?
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comment ... _european/
Maybe one of you pc pros can find out more.
I'll just be a little less on edge when he says, I wanna Rock in Vancouver in 2018.
Wait... you're worried Pettersson won't sign with Canucks? :wow:

After he's signed will you worry he'll get hit by an asteroid?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/9 ... 9945564160

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

Canuck source confirms that following the IIHF World Championships, Blue chip prospect Elias Pettersson is expected to sign with the Canucks.
Just for you Micky. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.