Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Mickey107 »

I say, he's a freakin good goalie and would very much benefit from playing some NHL games this year.
He's not going to break ya know.
If he lets in 7 goals that doesn't mean: Oh my God! I'm not good enough for the bigs.
Let him see a few damn games. It can only help.
INVALUABLE INFORMATION is what he will get.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am Vic I'm looking at how the probable Vezina trophy MVP goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy was developed, the Lightning developed him by giving him SOME NHL games every year while they had Bishop there. There's no hard rule on how to properly develop a goalie, no proper template, it's just if he's ready or not.

Pekke Rinne, Cory Crawford, even Schneider got a few games in the NHL during their AHL development, it just helps give them a taste of the pro's on what they need to work on down on the farm, plus it's the ol' carrot and stick metaphor to reach the NHL full time eventually.

3-5 NHL games this 2017/18 season, 8 - 20 NHL games 2018/19 season while still a #1 goalie in AHL, before becoming a full time NHLer in 2019/20 would be my preference for the 6'4 Thatcher Demko.

I like the gradual introduction to the pro's, not two full AHL season's with ZERO NHL games then thrown to the wolves, I'd much prefer a few games now, a little more next year, then full time NHL backup before taking over.
we would have to be VERY carful on those few games.. I am with Vic where you don't want to see him get lit up and his confidence shattered. If we had him for a couple games against the likes of Arizona or another non-playoff/ underachieving team, it might be worth the risk.. but Rinne, Crawford, etc all had teams that could play defence in front of their prized rookie goalies.. we have a back of peaches that play in front of our goalies.

I would err on the side of caution and let him stay down there
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A measly 3 games at the end of the Canucks season - on the road, will be extremely beneficial for the young tender for next season.

--
Cory Hergott:

With his two points so far today, Comets’ Defenseman Philip Holm now has 30 points in 42 games and is now tied with Nikolay Goldobin for points this season, (Goldobin has played in 14 fewer games)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tryamkin Captain of his team leads the KHL in PIMs. KHL defenceman of the year! Has to be! You can't keep this thoroughbred from playing in the NHL. Amazing 3rd round steal by JimBro!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 pm
Cory Hergott:

With his two points so far today, Comets’ Defenseman Philip Holm now has 30 points in 42 games and is now tied with Nikolay Goldobin for points this season, (Goldobin has played in 14 fewer games)
At what point is Holm going to get a sniff with the big club???

If he doesn’t get a call-up after the trade deadline, you wonder why they bothered signing him to a one year deal, as he likely won’t re-sign.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think Holm will get some games after the trade deadline,

Comets on a roll right now though, but Holm will def' get some NHL games before the season is over.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cole Lind just KO'd by a monster hit as he was cutting to the net. Knocked out cold and was down for awhile. No word yet on how he is but you gotta think concussion protocol will keep him out for a bit.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Adam Gaudette gets hat-trick in Beanpot Final. Wins tournament MVP.

Northeastern wins 5-2 over Brady Tkachuk's Boston U.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What a beast mode draft pick, Gaudette is. Brilliance at its finest.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm What a beast mode draft pick, Gaudette is. Brilliance at its finest.
Would it be too far a stretch to hope that this kid could turn out to be a Kesler-lite?

Funny thing, I saw a video of him getting the news that he was drafted by Vancouver. He was in the back yard of his family home and the whole family erupted in cheers and high-fives (likely because he got drafted period, vice getting picked by Vancouver per se). The thing I remarked at when I saw the video was, "This kid is one skinny shrimp. I sense a shot in the dark here, but what the hell? It's a 5th round pick."

Look at him now.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

After performance like that in an important game how does Gaudette not take home the Hobey Baker?

Gaudette is listed at 6'-1" - 185 lbs. same size as Kole Lind. When they mature the two of them will be playing around 195 lbs about. Jannik Hansen size
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm What a beast mode draft pick, Gaudette is. Brilliance at its finest.
Would it be too far a stretch to hope that this kid could turn out to be a Kesler-lite?

Funny thing, I saw a video of him getting the news that he was drafted by Vancouver. He was in the back yard of his family home and the whole family erupted in cheers and high-fives (likely because he got drafted period, vice getting picked by Vancouver per se). The thing I remarked at when I saw the video was, "This kid is one skinny shrimp. I sense a shot in the dark here, but what the hell? It's a 5th round pick."

Look at him now.
I like what Gaudette said recently as well, saying "Canucks had faith and drafted me, so I want to play for them"
http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-6317?smc=10
Big night for #Canucks prospect Adam Gaudette taking MVP honours helping Northeastern University win 2018 Beanpot Tourney in Boston. @Hockey_Gaud had 3 goals in 5-2 W vs Boston Univesity. @Canucks 5th Rd pick in 2015 now leads all NCAA players in scoring (24G,23A).
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Guys do want to play here. They can see the upswing to a young, talented team and the opportunities.

Stay the course.

If players are happily signing with Edmonton & Winnipeg because they see a chance to win, we're going to be in a good spot again soon.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hank wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am Guys do want to play here. They can see the upswing to a young, talented team and the opportunities.

Stay the course.

If players are happily signing with Edmonton & Winnipeg because they see a chance to win, we're going to be in a good spot again soon.
Sssdshhhh, we need to keep everybody focused on Eriksson and Sutters contract, trading A 2nd for Vey, the disaster of resigning Gudbranson, the disaster of the Sedins returning, the disaster of not trading Hamhius and Vrbata, sssshhhh don't bring up what matters most - drafting and developing in which most agree, Benning has done quite well. Only Benning is not allowed to make questionable moves (see Chiarelli), ignore Boeser, Gaudette, Pettersson, Lind, Demko, Tryamkin. Just talk about Juolevi and Virtanen, sssssshhhhh. Most importantly ignore the shit show Benning inherited from Gillis and ignore the recent rankings of our prospect pool.... ssssshhhhj
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pretty soon Kesler will want back.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.