Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 am

I think it's not unreasonable to say Dahlen should have taken the Forsberg path and not come over until his draft +4 year.

But that would be predicated on him graduating to the SHL.

User avatar
UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by UWSaint » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am

I don't recall whether P. Forsberg stayed in the SHL that long out of choice or because of limited opportunity. Quebec had Sakic, Sundin, and Ricci down the middle. I also don't know that it was best for Forsberg to stay in the SHL rather than come over sooner -- it worked out, but that doesn't mean it was the only way it worked out. He, unlike a guy like Zetterberg, was always considered an excellent prospect and might have forced Quebec's hand by excellent play had he come a season or two sooner.

Dahlen's never been a prospect like Forsberg. In retrospect, I think you are right that Dahlen would have been better off in the SHL last season with Timra. Only because the path he is now on is about as bad as it could be for getting to the NHL as a regular someday.
Hono_rary Canadian

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:34 am

UWSaint wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am
I don't recall whether P. Forsberg stayed in the SHL that long out of choice or because of limited opportunity. Quebec had Sakic, Sundin, and Ricci down the middle. I also don't know that it was best for Forsberg to stay in the SHL rather than come over sooner -- it worked out, but that doesn't mean it was the only way it worked out. He, unlike a guy like Zetterberg, was always considered an excellent prospect and might have forced Quebec's hand by excellent play had he come a season or two sooner.

Dahlen's never been a prospect like Forsberg. In retrospect, I think you are right that Dahlen would have been better off in the SHL last season with Timra. Only because the path he is now on is about as bad as it could be for getting to the NHL as a regular someday.
I believe Per had said that Foppa, like Dahlen and Petterson, was physically immature for the NHL. Whether he had the same mental immaturity as Dahlen, we'll probably never know.

Looking at his stats from Modo in the SHL, he seemed to plateau (even though he absolutely destroyed at the World Juniors). Then the lockout delayed his arrival by another half-season - by which time Sundin was also traded, opening a center spot.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8858
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am

Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9799
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by micky107 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:59 am

Refresher from the time of the Dahlen trade;
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23645383
If Dahlen’s primary issue was a lack of NHL opportunity, it’s unclear if his situation has improved in San Jose. At least in the current season, Dahlen is unlikely to get a sniff at NHL action. The Sharks do have five forwards that will be UFA by the end of the season, so maybe a spot will open up that he can earn next season.
Of note; On several occasions his acceleration has been questioned.
"evolution"

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15804
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am

You nailed it, Mickey Spillane.

Dahlen is a horrific skater and not strong enough to make up for it by fighting through checks and protecting the puck.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am
Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Is that right? I looked back at the 94 Olympics , Foppa didn't crack the top-10 for points but young Euros Zigmund Palffy (21) and Miro Satan (20) did.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8858
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 pm

ESQ wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am
Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Is that right? I looked back at the 94 Olympics , Foppa didn't crack the top-10 for points but young Euros Zigmund Palffy (21) and Miro Satan (20) did.
Im fairly sure...like 64-65% sure.

They didnt have nhl players then only amateurs
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Per » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 pm

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 pm
ESQ wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am
Didnt he wait because he wanted to play in the olympics?
Is that right? I looked back at the 94 Olympics , Foppa didn't crack the top-10 for points but young Euros Zigmund Palffy (21) and Miro Satan (20) did.
Im fairly sure...like 64-65% sure.

They didnt have nhl players then only amateurs
I think it may have been a factor. As you say, the NHL didn't allow its players to participate back then, and the Olympics have always been a big deal here in Europe, so postponing his NHL debut a year or two to be able to compete in Lillehammer makes sense. Also, he really wanted to win a championship with Modo, and after they lost the final in 1994 he was furious, stating that he wanted to beat up the referee.... :lol:

He never did get that elusive Swedish gold. He won the world championship twice, the Olympc tournament twice and the Stanley Cup twice, but he never won the Swedish championship. Or, well, he did win TV-pucken, a national tournament for 15-year olds, with Nazzy, but.....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by SKYO » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8858
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by The Brown Wizard » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 pm

SKYO wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm
Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
What the FOCHT!
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16238
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am

SKYO wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm
Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
Is he really marinating?
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15804
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 am

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am
SKYO wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm
Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
Is he really marinating?
Like a good Marinara sauce. Marinara is not a slow cook sauce like a slow cooker pork back rib tomato sauce. Focht is like a good marinara sauce, no need of marinating. He’s already marinated. Topper makes a good marinara sauce, he grows his own tomatoes, gathers his own herb (basil, oregano) from his own herb garden.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11120
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Topper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:47 am

No garden this year, and no one in the house likes marinara sauce. I do make a very basic tomato sauce in large batches, portion and freeze.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16238
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 am

Chef Boi RD wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am
SKYO wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm
Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
Is he really marinating?
Like a good Marinara sauce. Marinara is not a slow cook sauce like a slow cooker pork back rib tomato sauce. Focht is like a good marinara sauce, no need of marinating. He’s already marinated. Topper makes a good marinara sauce, he grows his own tomatoes, gathers his own herb (basil, oregano) from his own herb garden.
I smoke my own herb in a beer garden
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Post Reply