Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How many rookies make it?

Petterson
Juolevi
Gaudette
Dahlén

All of these guys should have realistic shots to make it out of camp. To me, if they all play well they should make it. We saw last year when Virtanen had an excellent camp and made it after a shitty statical season in Utica. Granted, he had a previous season as a 19 year old in the NHL where he probably shouldn’t have made it. He wasn’t a true rookie in the sense these guys are.

I was sceptical of Jake and even said that just because he may have a good camp that he shouldn’t make the Canucks based on that. He ended up having a decent season and hopefully will continue to get better.

So if these kids play well, give em a fucking spot and find new addresses for some other guys like Granlund, Gagner, Hutton etc. Time for some bloody hope at this point. Break them in Travis!! There will be enough kids on the farm
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:48 pm How many rookies make it?

Petterson
Juolevi
Gaudette
Dahlén

All of these guys should have realistic shots to make it out of camp. To me, if they all play well they should make it. We saw last year when Virtanen had an excellent camp and made it after a shitty statical season in Utica. Granted, he had a previous season as a 19 year old in the NHL where he probably shouldn’t have made it. He wasn’t a true rookie in the sense these guys are.

I was sceptical of Jake and even said that just because he may have a good camp that he shouldn’t make the Canucks based on that. He ended up having a decent season and hopefully will continue to get better.

So if these kids play well, give em a fucking spot and find new addresses for some other guys like Granlund, Gagner, Hutton etc. Time for some bloody hope at this point. Break them in Travis!! There will be enough kids on the farm
"So if these kids play well, give em a fucking spot"

But if they do someone might come along and say:

"just because he may have a good camp that he shouldn’t make the Canucks based on that."

:eh:

At this point I'm betting Pettersson and Gaudette make the cut

... and Dahlen and Juolevi start with the Comets, get top minutes, get called up later.

Of course there's a good chance my opinion changes after camp.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I think Petersson is already penciled in, but I think Dahlen is the guy who makes the team out of camp.

Pre-EP, he was our best prospect IMO, and after recovering from mono his stock has only risen. He clutched up in the Swedish playoffs, and I think he'll be ready for training camp-crunch time.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

PETTERSSON - DAHLEN

Post by SKYO »

Canucks have been pretty fortunate to have a good duo the past while transition in.

Bertuzzi - Naslund

Sedin twins

And now Pettersson - Dahlen
Pettersson, Dahlen impress at Young Stars Classic, eager to help Canucks

Forward prospects hope close friendship continues as teammates in NHL

https://www.nhl.com/news/elias-petterss ... -300045034
Sportsnet 650:

Ulf on Jonathan and Elias Petterssons chemistry.

- They played together on junior teams growing up and then for the Swedish national junior team. They created some set plays together and have been getting more and more comfortable on the ice together.
Not to put too much hype on these guys, but it's exciting to think of the future with these two El Pettersono + Dahlenero. aha

But man, adding those two to Horvat + Boeser? Don't think the Canucks have had an attack skill depth like that before, and Hughes likely signs before the 2018/19 season is over.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Matt Brassard
Canucks 7th rounder pick, 6'3 - 201lbs, right shot good ol' Canadian boy.

Yeah Brassard was up there with Bouchard last season in terms of shots on net.
Brassard: “I know plus-minus, a lot of people say it doesn’t show the type of player you are because you can be on a team that plays against the best teams or the worst teams and it can vary a lot,” he said. “I don’t really have a go-to stat, but if I had to pick one it would be plus-minus. Also things liked blocked shots and hits are huge.

Brassard is a healthy plus-16 this season.

“By no means is he a poor skater,” Nemisz said. “But like anyone trying to go to the professional level where it’s a really fast game, he’s got to work on his agility.”

On the flipside, talent evaluators were impressed with Brassard’s two-way game and his ability to create offence.

I really take pride in the amount of shots on goal I have. I think I’m third in the league among defencemen (he’s fourth),” Brassard said. “One thing I can contribute back there is getting the puck on net from the point. They’re not always going to be high-quality shots from a defenceman, but getting the puck down there for the forwards to do their work, that’s something that teams noticed about me.

“And I think my commitment to defence and my ability to play against the other team’s top players is something else that stood out.

Nemisz concured.

He has been an excellent puck mover, making plays from the back end,” Nemisz noted. “He has a really, really good shot from the blueline too. There’s a dangerous wrister that always seems to get through. He’s got a real good hockey IQ. He’s got a really good pulse for the game and he’s a guy we lean on to provide offence.

“He’s done a good job balancing that because when we really need him to push for offence, he can create, but he can also lock it down and play a real structured game.”

Skating is a must-have skill for a modern defenceman as the game gets faster and faster.

If Brassard’s not going to be the quickest guy on the ice, he feels he can compensate in other ways.

“Positioning, gap control, always being up with the play, always being hard on forwards and hard in the D zone with physical play, I think those are the biggest things a defenceman nowadays needs to succeed,” Brassard explained. “I’ve been told to continue to work on those things and I think I’ve been doing that pretty well this year.”

Brassard has collected 60 penalty minutes in 64 games, two minutes at a time with no fighting majors. In 2014-15, playing for the midget AAA Barrie Colts, he rolled up 172 minutes in 50 games, but Brassard said he doesn’t often drop the mitts.

“I definitely wouldn’t classify myself as a fighter, but I would classify myself as a hard guy to play against,” he said. “I play against top lines night in and night out and I try to get under their skin. Sometimes the ref will take both guys, or just me if I’ve crossed the line a little bit.”

“He’s always involved physically and he’s right on that edge,” Nemisz added. “You notice him every single game. He’s never sleep-walking out there. He’s an impact player for us every night.

When I talked to him, Brassard said he had recently been playing on the Oshawa D with William Ennis, a draft-eligible 2000-born defenceman.

“He’s a left-handed guy who’s kind of more of a defensive shutdown guy,” Brassard said. “I think we really pair well together where I can join the rush and know that he’ll be back. I’m really hoping he’ll hear his name called on draft day because I really think he’s one of the most underrated guys in this draft.”

“He’s flying under the radar, but he’s a really good guy to play with.”

I mentioned off the top that Brassard now looks like a good candidate to play in Utica next year.

The transition to pro is a tough one for juniors, a leap that separates prospects from suspects.

“I’m all learning at this point. I’m taking everything my coaches and the Canucks tell me and trying to work on it, trying to make them happy so maybe I’ll be lucky enough to earn a contract in the next year or two,” Brassard said. “I’d be happy coming back to Oshawa because I think we’re heading in the right direction and I think we’ll be really good next year, but if I am lucky enough to earn a contract, I’d love to start my pro career in Utica and hopefully take off from there.”

https://www.nelsonstar.com/sports/vanco ... th-oshawa/
Canucks should take William Ennis 5th round next draft.

And today Brassard is back with Oshawa as an overager, so the Canucks will likely sign him after his season is done with Oshawa where he'll be with Utica next year.
2017-18 OHL pGPS Cohort Map. Ryan Biech: "Matt Brassard has provided great value for a 7th round selection - nothing is certain, but 18.9% of comparable players were NHL regulars."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Update on a few prospects playing down south:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -300637550
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

MacEwan has 4 points in 2 games in Utica.
Dahelen has 2 points in two games.

Lind and Palmu have played one game each. Jasek and Gadjovich haven’t dressed yet. Apparently Juolevi has played decently in his first two games
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Kind of excited to see Gaudette tonight.. hope he slots in well.

Should be an interesting change to the way the second line looks. Little more banging out there.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 am Kind of excited to see Gaudette tonight.. hope he slots in well.

Should be an interesting change to the way the second line looks. Little more banging out there.
Yeah he'll bring the same youthful energy to the team, here is where it's nice to have quality prospects ready to play in pros' thanks to good drafting + development. :thumbs:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

OJ developing well in Utica.
Ryan Johnson on Juolevi:

I'm extremely happy. This is the best I've seen Olli in a sense of level of engagement.

He's aggressive. We know what kind of hockey sense he has, but he's being physical.

He's being engaged in the games, with his teammates.

He's playing anywhere from 19-23min
:thumbs: He's playing Chris Tanev minutes with Utica right now.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm OJ developing well in Utica.
Ryan Johnson on Juolevi:

I'm extremely happy. This is the best I've seen Olli in a sense of level of engagement.

He's aggressive. We know what kind of hockey sense he has, but he's being physical.

That is extremely good news. Couldn't be better.
The terms "level of engagement", "aggressive and being physical", are about the most positive spoken of him since the OHL. :)
"evolution"
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm OJ developing well in Utica.
Ryan Johnson on Juolevi:

I also like the positive reviews he gave of Brisebois,Chatfield & Sautner.
Things might not be as dire on D prospects as we thought
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

An angry pipecleaner!
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm An angry pipecleaner!
LOL! +1 :D
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hey how's Quinn Hughes doing this fall? Havent really delved into it...anyone?
If you need air...call it in