Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:54 pm Saw on twitter that Boeser popped a Hattie in first game of Da Beauty League today.

Indicates good things regarding his back injury.
And wrist, legitimate nhl snipes
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Out: Sedin, Sedin, Vanek, Jokinen, Dowd

In: Petersson, Gaudette, Goldobin, Hughes

Tire fire of offence? Time will tell.

Infusion of speed? Absolutely no doubt
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

*DP
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All this Quinn Hughes talk I think is good for Juolevi - he's assumed to be starting in the AHL already, but now that he is out of the micro Vancouver spotlight, maybe he steals the preseason show, the darkhorse Finlandian.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BladesofSteel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm*DP
-bumping change purses sure lowers the flagpole though
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

BladesofSteel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm In: Petersson, Gaudette, Goldobin, Hughes
One of these things is not like the others: elite, elite, crap, elite.

Just because Botchford sings Goldobin’s praises at every opportunity doesn’t mean he is no longer a bubble player at best. The guy is carried by Virtanen in garbage games at the end of last season and puts up a few points and now he is being grouped with Pettersson, Gaudette and Hughes?

If Botchford were GM the top line would be Goldobin, Gagner, and Leipsic. The guy is either an idiot or hopefully for his sake playing the devil’s advocate. He has an excellent eye for defensively weak, semi-skilled players who can only play on a team’s top six and will always disappear in crunch time. I think the man fantasizes about bringing back those sub-500 Tanti/Shriko line-ups of yesteryear. After a stint in Utica, Dahlen and Lind are replacing those mediocre players, likely by Christmas. Goldobin and Gagner are not long for this team. Leipsic might win a 13th forward job if he is lucky. There is a better chance Goldobin will be in the KHL after this coming season than he’ll be on the Canucks. Gagner should be gone before the season starts, but if not, he’ll be traded by the deadline. He had his chance to get his buddy Tavares to sign in Vancouver and he blew it, so his days of place-holding are numbered.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 am
BladesofSteel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm In: Petersson, Gaudette, Goldobin, Hughes

Just because Botchford sings Goldobin’s praises at every opportunity doesn’t mean he is no longer a bubble player at best. The guy is carried by Virtanen in garbage games at the end of last season and puts up a few points and now he is being grouped with Pettersson, Gaudette and Hughes?

If Botchford were GM the top line would be Goldobin, Gagner, and Leipsic. The guy is either an idiot or hopefully for his sake playing the devil’s advocate. He has an excellent eye for defensively weak, semi-skilled players who can only play on a team’s top six and will always disappear in crunch time. I think the man fantasizes about bringing back those sub-500 Tanti/Shriko line-ups of yesteryear. After a stint in Utica, Dahlen and Lind are replacing those mediocre players, likely by Christmas. Goldobin and Gagner are not long for this team. Leipsic might win a 13th forward job if he is lucky. There is a better chance Goldobin will be in the KHL after this coming season than he’ll be on the Canucks. Gagner should be gone before the season starts, but if not, he’ll be traded by the deadline. He had his chance to get his buddy Tavares to sign in Vancouver and he blew it, so his days of place-holding are numbered.
Goldobin > Jokinen

The point is there are younger, faster, more hungry kids coming in to training camp this year that should provide a more balanced attack. If it not for his work ethic, I would have given up on Goldy already. His skills are undeniable, his attitude (while cocky) is good and he's got Igor for an agent/mentor which are all good signs.

But if you'd rather...

Dahlen < Jokinen

My argument still stands.

Side note: Don't ever confuse my opinions of being in any way influenced by Botchford again. :evil:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 am

You may be right, but I really thought Goldobin’s play improved markedly at the end of the season. That isn’t to say he is “elite” but it may be a sign that his stars are changing (in the right direction). Maybe it’s just typical over-valuation but I’m definitely not ready to give up on him just yet.

Also, while I’m fully behind Gaudette, so far his play in the big league hasn’t exactly been a revelation. For sure give the kid time but calling kids elite before they have established anything in the NHL usually makes me a bit nervous (that goes for Elias and Quin too). Brock I’m pretty comfortable with. :mrgreen:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I hope Gaudette becomes a great player but he is not elite yet.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

To clear up confusion, he’s an elite prospect, not elite NHL player, at least not yet. I think winning the Hobey Baker award makes him that. I think ultimately he’ll be a good second line NHL centre. Still, defensively he is already more valuable than Goldobin or Gagner. With Goldobin and Gagner there are more goals scored on both ends of the ice. But you likely give up three goals to get one. With Gaudette there may be less scoring, but at least the team breaks even.

Sorry for the comparison to Botchford, just any support for Goldobin reminds me so much of his recent diatribes that make me just cringe. Give up on Goldobin, his time on the Canucks is coming to an inglorious end no matter who his agent is.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've lowered my expectations on Goldobin, but I'm not quite to ready to drive him to the airport.

One stat has me retain my interest. We all love Boeser's shot of course, and I've 'felt' that Goldobin wasn't on the same level - but with a 16% shot percentage (vs Brock's 16.2) - but what I can't find is a state for 'shots at net', vs 'shots on net', and maybe that's where Brock shines? Maybe that's what I'm seeing, Goldobin just missing the net a lot more often?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

And then there's Gaudette's 4 posts at the end of last year that say Hi. ;)
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 am I've lowered my expectations on Goldobin, but I'm not quite to ready to drive him to the airport.
That’s okay. I can take him. I’ll even save a seat for Gagner. :)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I put Goldobin, Dahlen and Leipsic all on the same level of potential offensive wingers.

Dahlen being the youngest still holds the most upside imo. But if one of the 3 turns into a bona fide top-6 winger (40+ points), that's still a very good return for Furrows, Hansen and Holm. If 2 of the 3 turn out, then I'd call it an excellent return.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Gold was turning things around later in the season and I was impressed with the way he finished, Dahlen is unknown, Lipstick is a pig.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.