Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14370
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Micky »

Per wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am Look at how fragile modern day tennis players are.
It's a joke.
You are saying that tennis players are fragile because they mainly practice off ice? :|

Of course, Björn Borg was an excellent skater, and probably would have made the WJC roster had he not decided to focus on tennis, but I had no idea ice practice was considered that important for tennis players in general.
Don't be such a goof Per.
Look at all the multi colored drinks they have. or have been made to believe, they feel they have to drink.
At a certain time, in a certain sequence.
It's comical.
"evolution"
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12310
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am Look at how fragile modern day tennis players are.
It's a joke.
You are saying that tennis players are fragile because they mainly practice off ice? :|

Of course, Björn Borg was an excellent skater, and probably would have made the WJC roster had he not decided to focus on tennis, but I had no idea ice practice was considered that important for tennis players in general.
both are explosive sprint sports
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Puck »

I'm not going to investigate this, but I suspect modern tennis players are in better shape than any previous generations in exactly the same way as all the athletes in other sports.

Mick you're kinda jumping up and down and ranting more than usual ;)
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3216
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by ESQ »

Kinda funny how women's and men's tennis is still being dominated by players who've been peaking for 13-18 years...

What's in those multi-coloured drinks anyway?!
User avatar
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Carlyee »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am No-Way. Don't believe it.
It's all about money and how to extract it from players by making them think they need expensive off-ice programs.

It's just like "energy drinks" are good for athletes.
May as well drink poison!

It's the money they bring. It's freaking huge.

Look at how fragile modern day tennis players are.
It's a joke.
I try not to post here but I feel I must try and offer you a little insight to training. This is not an all encompassing post but cherry picked to try and assist you. Because it is pretty clear you don't really understand what's going on.

Take a look at this:

https://www.ptdirect.com/training-desig ... n-overview

There are plenty of sources you can reference to learn about the 3 energy systems that humans use. With respect to your line of reasoning, while it varies slightly from source to source the consensus appears to be that tennis players actually derive more of their total energy from the ATP PCr energy pathway than hockey players do. Ignore body contact and consider this as well, tennis is a higher impact sport than hockey. So tennis athletes use the best energy system more and put more strain on their body than a hockey player does. Tennis was a poor comparison to choose.

Your posts appear to indicate that you have not performed at a high physical level. This is an assumption on my part. Try not to get defensive, I have not in a very long time either. But one coach I had said something like this "who told you practice makes perfect?, He was an idiot, perfect practice makes perfect". Practicing, and perfecting skills can only happen once the basics are covered. In other words dry land or off ice training builds the foundation for on ice training. Strength, endurance, speed, flexibility, agility and discipline can all be improved with off ice training. Once these factors are locked in on-ice training, or specialized training is used for skill set improvements, systems practice etc. Boil this down to the lowest denominator, who has more fun playing adult rec league hockey? The guy that works out 6 days a week or the guy that plays hockey once a week? Who is more useful to his team?

Ice time is more expensive than gym time too. So I really can't understand what you are throwing cost into the argument for.

Here is some more reading, in no particular order.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-ener ... rainer.htm

http://www.itftennis.com/scienceandmedi ... rview.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3281210

For the sake of not getting my post deleted I would like to add that. Pettersson, in his early 20s can easily add muscle without sacrificing the other factors that make him the most exciting prospect to me in a long time. It will take longer and one has to be cognizant of not bulking for the sake of bulking. Fine line.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:49 pm
I try not to post here...
Personally, I'd like to see more posts of this calibre.

I'm looking forward to DHA weighing in on the topic of off-ice training, as well.
Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:49 pm
For the sake of not getting my post deleted....
In spite of the impression that some of them like to create, the Mods here exercise a light touch. There's no reason to expect anything in that post to be deleted. (Or was that comment a joke that went over my head?)
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Aaronp18 »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:49 pm I try not to post here but I feel I must try and offer you a little insight to training. This is not an all encompassing post but cherry picked to try and assist you. Because it is pretty clear you don't really understand what's going on.

Take a look at this:

https://www.ptdirect.com/training-desig ... n-overview

There are plenty of sources you can reference to learn about the 3 energy systems that humans use. With respect to your line of reasoning, while it varies slightly from source to source the consensus appears to be that tennis players actually derive more of their total energy from the ATP PCr energy pathway than hockey players do. Ignore body contact and consider this as well, tennis is a higher impact sport than hockey. So tennis athletes use the best energy system more and put more strain on their body than a hockey player does. Tennis was a poor comparison to choose.

Your posts appear to indicate that you have not performed at a high physical level. This is an assumption on my part. Try not to get defensive, I have not in a very long time either. But one coach I had said something like this "who told you practice makes perfect?, He was an idiot, perfect practice makes perfect". Practicing, and perfecting skills can only happen once the basics are covered. In other words dry land or off ice training builds the foundation for on ice training. Strength, endurance, speed, flexibility, agility and discipline can all be improved with off ice training. Once these factors are locked in on-ice training, or specialized training is used for skill set improvements, systems practice etc. Boil this down to the lowest denominator, who has more fun playing adult rec league hockey? The guy that works out 6 days a week or the guy that plays hockey once a week? Who is more useful to his team?

Ice time is more expensive than gym time too. So I really can't understand what you are throwing cost into the argument for.

Here is some more reading, in no particular order.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-ener ... rainer.htm

http://www.itftennis.com/scienceandmedi ... rview.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3281210

For the sake of not getting my post deleted I would like to add that. Pettersson, in his early 20s can easily add muscle without sacrificing the other factors that make him the most exciting prospect to me in a long time. It will take longer and one has to be cognizant of not bulking for the sake of bulking. Fine line.
:thumbs:

Always nice to have factual information posted and referenced instead of personal opinions pulled from nether regions!

Honestly didn't have the energy to get into it so well done Carlyee.

There's an article that was posted the other day, can't recall if someone posted here or I saw it somewhere else about Elias' older brother Emil. He was drafted a few years ago and was even slighter than Elias. He's now 23 and weighing in at about 185lbs at 6'1" and putting up decent numbers in the AHL.
http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.23277398

So Elias has a head start in the weight and height category and may just be one of those guys who matures physically a little later than others much like his bro. It'll come with time and training! The skillset is there, he's way above his brother in that department. If he winds up at a playing weight of 185 at 6'2" he won't be too bulky and should have no issue maintaining his skill level, likely improving on it with better on ice strength and balance.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14370
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Micky »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:49 pm
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am No-Way. Don't believe it.
It's all about money and how to extract it from players by making them think they need expensive off-ice programs.

It's just like "energy drinks" are good for athletes.
May as well drink poison!

It's the money they bring. It's freaking huge.

Look at how fragile modern day tennis players are.
It's a joke.
I try not to post here but I feel I must try and offer you a little insight to training. This is not an all encompassing post but cherry picked to try and assist you. Because it is pretty clear you don't really understand what's going on.

Take a look at this:

https://www.ptdirect.com/training-desig ... n-overview

There are plenty of sources you can reference to learn about the 3 energy systems that humans use. With respect to your line of reasoning, while it varies slightly from source to source the consensus appears to be that tennis players actually derive more of their total energy from the ATP PCr energy pathway than hockey players do. Ignore body contact and consider this as well, tennis is a higher impact sport than hockey. So tennis athletes use the best energy system more and put more strain on their body than a hockey player does. Tennis was a poor comparison to choose.

Your posts appear to indicate that you have not performed at a high physical level. This is an assumption on my part. Try not to get defensive, I have not in a very long time either. But one coach I had said something like this "who told you practice makes perfect?, He was an idiot, perfect practice makes perfect". Practicing, and perfecting skills can only happen once the basics are covered. In other words dry land or off ice training builds the foundation for on ice training. Strength, endurance, speed, flexibility, agility and discipline can all be improved with off ice training. Once these factors are locked in on-ice training, or specialized training is used for skill set improvements, systems practice etc. Boil this down to the lowest denominator, who has more fun playing adult rec league hockey? The guy that works out 6 days a week or the guy that plays hockey once a week? Who is more useful to his team?

Ice time is more expensive than gym time too. So I really can't understand what you are throwing cost into the argument for.

Here is some more reading, in no particular order.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-ener ... rainer.htm

http://www.itftennis.com/scienceandmedi ... rview.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3281210

For the sake of not getting my post deleted I would like to add that. Pettersson, in his early 20s can easily add muscle without sacrificing the other factors that make him the most exciting prospect to me in a long time. It will take longer and one has to be cognizant of not bulking for the sake of bulking. Fine line.
You would be best served not to try and assume. You will hurt whats' left of your brain.
I will leave for a while but let me make one thing very clear.
Don't ever think you are even remotely capable of judging me, shit for brains, or whatever you are. :stupid:
"evolution"
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Aaronp18 »

Image
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5625
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm Micks post
Hi Mick,

I thought his post was well done and informative.

I also didn't think he came across wrong, I have seen much worse here.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm Micky's Post
Hi Carlyee,

Obviously, you need a bit of a thick skin to post here, but please don't be discouraged.

Feel free to disregard Micky; I'm pretty sure everyone else does.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28222
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:49 pm I try not to post here...
What? WHY?!!

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm You would be best served not to try and assume. You will hurt whats' left of your brain.
I will leave for a while but let me make one thing very clear.
Don't ever think you are even remotely capable of judging me, shit for brains, or whatever you are. :stupid:
Oh I see. :look:

Too bad because I think you're a bit of a fan favorite around here Carlyee...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13159
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Old Fred losing his shit lol.

Throw on a new layer of gold bond and polident up your chicklets bro....youre looking a little rough
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 am
Location: in my computer

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by sk8er »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm You would be best served not to try and assume. You will hurt whats' left of your brain.
I will leave for a while but let me make one thing very clear.
Don't ever think you are even remotely capable of judging me, shit for brains, or whatever you are. :stupid:


Well, that is totally uncalled for, I thought the poster made great points and this is the response? Way to go fred
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5103
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Carl Yagro »

Way to go, Fred.

A good poster comes respectfully with facts and you go off on your "Respect your Edlers, don't judge me (but I'll judge you) schtick".

Even Reefer thinks you're wrong. Let that sink in.

There's a reason Corn created the Angry Old Senile Man Yelling at Clouds thread. Go take a nap.
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Post Reply