2016 Free Agent Hunt

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2016 Free Agent Hunt

Post by Diehard1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Doc, maybe you should send Lucic some tape?

Some of my buddies told him he was nuts for going there but Chiarelli did a good job selling him on how important he was. He will be getting a leadership role and a green light to control the dressing room. Mostly he was greedy thinking about 20+ more points riding shotgun with McJesus.

But his final decision hasn't been made. He has Calgary, Anaheim, Dallas and the two Florida teams to check out yet. One of my friends told me he thinks if Dallas can make the cap work he'll end up there. He knows Gagliardi and I'm sure there will be a full court press. The weather is nicer. Perhaps once in Dallas he will feel differently. WTF does 20+ more points mean if you are on your last contract anyway?

With the state of the Canucks he doesn't want to be in this market. If they were a contender it would be a fun place to finish his career but with where we are at he knows he would be a lighting rod for criticism. He doesn't want the grief from family and friends especially since he plans to retire to Vancouver.
All makes sense. I agree that Vancouver isn't ready to go all in on a player like Lucic. Neither is edmonton, but I can see him choosing there given Caggiula and Schultz did the same. They still need a top level dman more than anything even if they get Lucic.

If I'm Benning I'm focussed more on guys like Eriksson, Brouwer, McGinn, Stempniak. Second tier guys except for Eriksson. Can probably get them on shorter term deals for slightly less money than guys like Lucic, Ladd.

I'd also expect them to go after a guy like Boedker - he's young and fast, basically another Jannik Hansen though will cost probably twice as much per season if not more.

rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm

If I'm Benning I'm focussed more on guys like Eriksson, Brouwer, McGinn, Stempniak. Second tier guys except for Eriksson. Can probably get them on shorter term deals for slightly less money than guys like Lucic, Ladd.
Hey DieHard, I'd go there only if there is fair value for the contract otherwise I'd wait and attack the secondary market which is teams with cap issues....

And I have no problem with Lucic going to Edmonton or Calgary for that matter...

These Alberta teams have sucked for years and years and its about time they make their way up the standings so that we aren't competing with them for a draft lottery pick....

As long as the Canucks ice a hard working team with lots of youth, I'm on board with the rebuild...

Take care...

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:19 pm

rikster wrote: Hey DieHard, I'd go there only if there is fair value for the contract otherwise I'd wait and attack the secondary market which is teams with cap issues....
THIS is what I'd like to do if we don't get Looch....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 pm

rikster wrote:
Hey DieHard, I'd go there only if there is fair value for the contract otherwise I'd wait and attack the secondary market which is teams with cap issues....

And I have no problem with Lucic going to Edmonton or Calgary for that matter...

These Alberta teams have sucked for years and years and its about time they make their way up the standings so that we aren't competing with them for a draft lottery pick....

As long as the Canucks ice a hard working team with lots of youth, I'm on board with the rebuild...

Take care...
Hey Rikster, long time! How are things?

I fully agree, I'd like to see them play in the secondary market and ice a hard working, young team that we can all watch improve over a season. I doubt that's what they will do given all what we've heard though.

Tough to tell what will happen given the negativity around the Canucks given they aren't very good. Will Eriksson sign here? Lucic? Ladd? I doubt we ar ether first choice but that might not matter given the lack of funds available this year.

Only a few more days and we will have some answers.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:12 pm

I think Eriksson is still a possibility but I don't want to be the team that doles out more than 4-5 years. The secondary market it is.
The only HW the Canucks need

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:19 am

Benning has yet to pull off a major trade to put his stamp on the team.

Tic Tock

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:48 am

BladesofSteel wrote:Benning has yet to pull off a major trade to put his stamp on the team.

Tic Tock
What's your definition of a major trade? Kesler? Sutter? Gudbranson? Other?

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:54 am

If Lucic and Stamkos are total no goes, than sign the B-minus talent to a short deal and just tank for top-5 picks.

It's pretty clear that the rest of the league wants nothing to do with the shit team that Gillis built, and don't see Benning's overpaid additions as making for even a playoff team.

Without Gillis' dead weight: Higgins and Burrows.

and

Benning's immovable contracts: Sutter, Sbisa, and Dorsett.

We could afford to sign 2 or 3 top free agents and turn things around quickly. Not happening.

It's hard to fault Benning for Sutter though, it's not as crazy overpaid as some, and there was no way to predict that players like Ladd, Stamkos, Lucic, Eriksson, etc., would be hitting the UFA market.

I don't expect Gudbranson to sign an extension here either. Vancouver is a more desirable city to live in than any other in Canada, but the future of this team is bleak, and as an UFA he will probably get at least as good of an offer as Benning will make him.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:01 am

Isn't he RFA?

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:36 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Isn't he RFA?
Yes, you're right, my bad.

Doesn't change the fact that if he has a good season here that he might play hardball on the contract just to force a trade. A mid-20's top-4 RHS D is a hot commodity and would have no problem getting his desired contract on the open market, and if that's just one year away he might chance signing a one year deal for the sake of his own freedom.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 am

People going on that no decent FA wants to sign in Vancouver because the future is bleak is overplaying the case a tad. The Canucks are not the Leafs of the past decade; nor are they appreciably worse in outlook than Winnipeg, Ottawa, New Jersey, Arizona (who managed to convince Goligoski to sign there), Calgary or even Ottawa for that matter. If a player doesn't sign here, it will likely be because of money/term, wanting to 'win now', be a bigger fish in the room than before, or hoping they won a lucky ticket of a big pay day and with a team that ends up being a contender. Of those, Calgary may be the closest to the latter and they'll have cap considerations when their home-grown stars come to collect their next contracts.

If Benning lands a UFA under age 30 who can make an impact for the term of his contract (and it will almost certainly be a long one), then the guy has hit a grand-slam and I don't think it's impossible even if is somewhat unlikely.

I think what we'll see are more Vrbata-like contracts - guys who'll be around for a bit who can help this team get into the playoffs (and make more playoff revenue for Aqua Bros) and be good role-models for the youngsters while they grow into bigger roles, but will cost a fair penny anyway. If Francesco is willing to sign the cheques, so be it. That's why I'm bracing for a Loui Eriksson and/or Darren Helm and/or J-M Liles.

I think this team is about 2-3 years away from that Stamkos/Lucic-calibre FA, and even then it will have to make sense considering the development of the next generation of home-growns.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:29 am

Tough to tell what will happen given the negativity around the Canucks given they aren't very good. Will Eriksson sign here? Lucic? Ladd? I doubt we ar ether first choice but that might not matter given the lack of funds available this year.
Good to chat again DieHard, things are going ok....Hopefully the same with you....

I lol at the notion that free agents won't sign here, just ask the wives if they would rather be in Winnipeg or Edmonton or Vancouver....

And I hate to bring world affairs into the mix, but with everything that is happening below the border and internationally I would think that makes Vancouver an even bigger draw for players...

As I've said in another post, free agents who are looking for term don't look at snapshots in time and say I won't sign in Vancouver because today they are not a very good team...

Because the chances that the team they sign for a long term will be competitive for the duration of their contract is almost zero...

They are looking for fit for their families and is there a better place for a millionaire to raise a family than in Vancouver?

And while Benning is not very good in front of a microphone he is very well regarded around the league especially by agents....

What a 180 from Gillis whose negotiating tactics as a player agent and as a GM was to hold out to the very last minute which worked as an agent but not so good as a GM...

Benning is decisive and quick which isn't always the best way to maximize value but it is respected by the agents and players....

I see the media is going on about Edmonton and the arena being a draw for free agents along with McDavid...

All righty then, 41 nights are played in their shinny new arena and that will make players want to sign there? That might make sense until you consider that you have to leave that arena and walk out into the cold and dreary city of Edmonton in the midst of another one of their long and dreary winters..

I'm sure their wives are into that...

Take care...

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:59 am

7 for 7 for Lucic, no way. I still see Okposo as the diamond in the rough here. Not that he'd come cheap, but he fills a lot of needs and can be obtained on more reasonable terms than that. He may have no interest in Van, can't argue with that, but I'm pleased Lucic seems to be looking elsewhere, and I think he is right to see the hometown issue as too much pressure. It's a bad fit.

If the Canucks don't get any of the top guys, they need to have patience. The cap will mean some next tier UFAs have to bring their prices down.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 am

In this new NHL, rebuilds and dynasties (windows), are not going to take or last, as long as they use to.

Fairly simple reasons actually.

Barring something radical happening in the world money market, with the long term CBA and coinciding long TV contracts, etc., the cap will not make massive moves up or down. now. More teams are spending almost to the max just a few are not.

The other reason, though it seems like a small little rule change, is the three year entry level system as opposed by the old two. This is having a massive impact on the league. The owners basically wanted it, not so sure it is having the effect they desired.

The transitional contracts, that were so popular are disappearing. Three years is proving to be enough time for a player to either develop into a good player or, for lack of a better word, flop.

So what you have now is entry level pay to "THE BIG BUCKS'.

I think as more time goes by, this will become even more obvious.

It really is going to take genius like managing to keep fielding a competitive product year after year now.

Hell, you could give a team the top four picks three years in a row and they would have a little fun for a while but after three years, they'd be F, well, what the birds and bees do!

2 more sleeps, then we know what we get.......rock&roll.... :devil:
"evolution"

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:54 am

The Aqualinis are the problem. Meddling spoiled rich kids out of touch with the fan base. Won't be long til they ass can Benning. First Nonis, then Gillis, clock is on for Benning. Nevermind players not wanting to come here, not many GMs would want to come here either. Aquas need to sell.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate