2016 Draft Summary

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How do you rate this year's draft?

A+
4
11%
A
3
8%
B
13
36%
C+
10
28%
C
3
8%
D
3
8%
F
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 36

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by ukcanuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:44 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Lol this team is no better than when they finished the year. Gartieg, Stetcher and one pick in the top 60 improves the team greatly? With the decaying of the twins, the departure of Hamhuis and a worse coaching staff it's probably a worse team at this point. Who knows how free agency shakes out? There's some potential there but I'm not sure how much of a destination Rainouver is these days.
I'm beginning to think the dude is right, you're brain must be addled by too much coke, booze and heartless whores over too many years in dive bars or wait, was that what you said about the dude? I can't keep up, trolling seems to flow with the tide and GMs.

Anyway, the team doesn't have to be better, we are only in the second year of the rebuild. you are a builder aren't you or at least you nailed some planks together in a cabin upcountry if I'm right?

Well theres this think called a foundation that the finished product sits on. The thing is, while the foundation is being laid, at first its basically a whole in the ground but eventually as pieces are laid down it still doesn't look like much more than a whole the ground ...see where I'm going with this?

Maybe year three we will see a little bit of traction, but realistically contender status is still at least three years away.


Getting back to the thread I included Gudbranson as part of the draft when I gave Benning a B. He got us two good pieces for the D.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4513
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Reefer2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am

HW - to me the problem is not the pick, we have no idea how he will turn out but that the fact we had a top 5 pick and the guy we picked does not have #1 pairing screaming his name. Of course he can turn into the next Doughty which would make everyone happy.

What bothers me is that we dont have anything drafted that has shown to be #1 line material and get 70+ points in a season except may Horvat. Too early for Virtanen and no idea on anyone else still playing in Juniors.

Tkachuck seems to have that 70ish points per year coming from him but like you said we havent seen him play so who knows. Our D is set so I hope to God Benning does not draft or trade for anymore D in the next 12 months unless it is a damn good deal. The team needs to concentrate on the forward position.

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by rikster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:31 am

Tkachuck seems to have that 70ish points per year coming from him but like you said we havent seen him play so who knows. Our D is set so I hope to God Benning does not draft or trade for anymore D in the next 12 months unless it is a damn good deal. The team needs to concentrate on the forward position
I'm going to guess that you haven't seen any of these kids play so why so adamant that a mistake was made?

Columbus, Vancouver and Calgary addressed some of their bigger needs while Edmonton added to their strength...

lol that our D is set....

McDavid helped the Oilers move up 8 points and down from 3rd worst to 2nd worst in the league standings so who ever the Canucks drafted this year will not return the team to contender status...

That will take multiple drafts and time which is something some seem to be having a hard time understanding or accepting...

I'm going to go to bed every night this up coming season hoping that the Hockey Gods finally say enough is enough and they get to draft their centre man next season, and early indications are that Nolan Patrick is going to be a really good one....

And if they aren't in a position to draft that elite centre prospect and another elite defenseman is the best player on the board when the team selects then I'm sure Benning will make that pick regardless of your assertion that the back end is set...

Take care...

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4513
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Reefer2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 am

rikster wrote:
Tkachuck seems to have that 70ish points per year coming from him but like you said we havent seen him play so who knows. Our D is set so I hope to God Benning does not draft or trade for anymore D in the next 12 months unless it is a damn good deal. The team needs to concentrate on the forward position
I'm going to guess that you haven't seen any of these kids play so why so adamant that a mistake was made?

Columbus, Vancouver and Calgary addressed some of their bigger needs while Edmonton added to their strength...

lol that our D is set....

...
Whats the matter are you hard on reading and comprehending?

I said we haven't seen him play?

Also if you don't think we have a set D with Hutton, Tanev, Gud and now this guy and the others we have waiting in the wing then what would you suggest is set? Maybe PK, Karlsson, Doughty all on the back end?

User avatar
rikster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by rikster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:50 am

It's official.

Benning is a fucking idiot
My reading and comprehending is fine, its more of a pet peeve with posters who fly off the handle without knowing jack squat about what they are upset with...

We are all sharing opinions, its not about being right or being wrong but what might be helpful is after you make such a drastic statement of fact try explaining to us why Tkachuk was the absolute right pick and Juolevi was absolutely the wrong pick...

In researching your decision you might even find that your initial reaction was wrong and you might save yourself from looking foolish...

Later

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by herb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:I'm not an "everything is sunshine and roses" kind of guy, but I think this is an unduly pessimistic assessment. On paper, the Canucks are already better than they ended the season. Replacing an over-matched McCann with what has every indication of being a stalwart top-4 D would be expected to be worth at least 10 points in the standings. I'm not a Sutter fan, either, but he will be an upgrade on Linden Vey. Any decay in the Sedins (not a given that it would be detectable this year) should be more than offset by the (far more likely) improvement in the under-25 crowd. It is also not yet determined that the defensive corps will lose Hamhuis. Even without new free agents, I think there is at least some reason to suspect that Rodin will be an improvement on an unmotivated Vrbata. Given that Gulutzan was in charge of special teams, and the special teams weren't very good last year, I think there's at least a chance that coaching staff will be improved.

So no, still not Cup contenders, and maybe even not playoff contenders with the talent available as of tonight, but still, probably better than the team at the end of the season.
Agreed. Last year, pretty much everything went wrong from injuries to our rookies looking very over-matched for the most part. It's likely that less goes wrong next year.

Our defense should be better. Guys like Edler, Sutter, Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi and Virtanen should have more of an impact. There's a good chance Benning signs a big name FA who should have a bigger impact than Vrbata did last year. Hey, at least we're not likely to have Vey on the roster.

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7016
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by micky107 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 am

People; If there are guests looking in on our forum, they may start getting the idea there are no other ways to address the teams needs except for the draft and free agency.
Sorry. That was a tad sarcastic but there are hockey trades to be made that do not include your draft picks, UFAs or RFAs. It's the time of year, I guess.
As we draw closer to the point where teams #1, look at things during or after camp and #2 must have their cap in order by seasons start. These too are good times for trades. Then there is right after the Christmas break as well.
My long winded point is that some trades can happen and be good for both teams.
Doubtful we can trade with Edmonton, too bad. They are horridly weak at the back. We could use a sniper.
A deal like Sbisa for RNH, isn't so far fetched. Even Sbisa for Yakapov could make some sense.
I'm not going to give up on us being competitive next year just yet... :sly: :sly: :sly:
"evolution"

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10512
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Topper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:14 am

Many appear upset at who was drafted by other teams not who Vancouver drafted. Benning's job is to develop Vancouver's roster by filling Vancouver's needs. His job does not entail drafting players that other teams need but Vancouver does not.

I'll go way out on a limb here, having never seen Sneeze play, and say he's closer in play to Ferland than Daddy or Grandpa.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14041
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:36 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Lol this team is no better than when they finished the year. Gartieg, Stetcher and one pick in the top 60 improves the team greatly? With the decaying of the twins, the departure of Hamhuis and a worse coaching staff it's probably a worse team at this point. Who knows how free agency shakes out? There's some potential there but I'm not sure how much of a destination Rainouver is these days.
I'm beginning to think the dude is right, you're brain must be addled by too much coke, booze and heartless whores over too many years in dive bars or wait, was that what you said about the dude? I can't keep up, trolling seems to flow with the tide and GMs.

Anyway, the team doesn't have to be better, we are only in the second year of the rebuild. you are a builder aren't you or at least you nailed some planks together in a cabin upcountry if I'm right?

Well theres this think called a foundation that the finished product sits on. The thing is, while the foundation is being laid, at first its basically a whole in the ground but eventually as pieces are laid down it still doesn't look like much more than a whole the ground ...see where I'm going with this?

Maybe year three we will see a little bit of traction, but realistically contender status is still at least three years away.


Getting back to the thread I included Gudbranson as part of the draft when I gave Benning a B. He got us two good pieces for the D.
Amen Father Mulcahey!!

I'm a realist, not a pessimist. You and some of the others think the team is bloated with top end young talent and is a top notch organization. It's a tire fire and has been for a few years. I liked the pick and I liked the pickup of Gudbranson. We all know there are some horrific contracts that some of us hate and for good reason. I loathe the pissing away of young assets and 2nd rounders for scrubs like Vey and Granlund. Elmer scares the hell out of me with money to play with on July 1.

As an asside it's too bad they can't shoot Sbisa out of a cannon and give Hamhuis his money. Problem is no team will touch Sbisa unless the Dagos are retaining 50%.
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10512
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Topper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm

While not bloated with top end talent, it is a hell of a lot farther along than two years ago. There is still road ahead.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 19922
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Strangelove » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I'm a realist, not a pessimist.
Yeah... most pessimists delude themselves into believing they are "realists".
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2933
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 pm

er and one pick in the top 60 improves the team greatly? With the decaying of the twins, the departure of Hamhuis and a worse coaching staff it's probably a worse team at this point. Who knows how free agency shakes out? There's some potential there but I'm not sure how much of a destination Rainouver is these days.
Read the post, pal. I didn't say we improved greatly, I said that compared to the rest of the bottom feeders, we have done better than them.

And it's A bit of an assumption that the coaching staff will be worse, seeing as they haven't hired a guy yet to fill e slot..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 6680
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am
HW - to me the problem is not the pick, we have no idea how he will turn out but that the fact we had a top 5 pick and the guy we picked does not have #1 pairing screaming his name. Of course he can turn into the next Doughty which would make everyone happy.

What bothers me is that we dont have anything drafted that has shown to be #1 line material and get 70+ points in a season except may Horvat. Too early for Virtanen and no idea on anyone else still playing in Juniors.

Tkachuck seems to have that 70ish points per year coming from him but like you said we havent seen him play so who knows. Our D is set so I hope to God Benning does not draft or trade for anymore D in the next 12 months unless it is a damn good deal. The team needs to concentrate on the forward position.
:wow:

Reef was all over the future on that one

Page 2 Aaron saying wait for 2018/2019 to bring out the pitchforks :lol:

Or Topper calling him closer to ferland than fat walt. :lol:

Its funny going back over these things sometimes.
nobody focks...with the jesus

Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3293
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: 2016 Draft Summary

Post by Hank » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am
Reefer2 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am
HW - to me the problem is not the pick, we have no idea how he will turn out but that the fact we had a top 5 pick and the guy we picked does not have #1 pairing screaming his name. Of course he can turn into the next Doughty which would make everyone happy.

What bothers me is that we dont have anything drafted that has shown to be #1 line material and get 70+ points in a season except may Horvat. Too early for Virtanen and no idea on anyone else still playing in Juniors.

Tkachuck seems to have that 70ish points per year coming from him but like you said we havent seen him play so who knows. Our D is set so I hope to God Benning does not draft or trade for anymore D in the next 12 months unless it is a damn good deal. The team needs to concentrate on the forward position.
:wow:

Reef was all over the future on that one

Page 2 Aaron saying wait for 2018/2019 to bring out the pitchforks :lol:

Or Topper calling him closer to ferland than fat walt. :lol:

Its funny going back over these things sometimes.
But you also have to wait for a longer-term assessment too... gauge in 10 years, 15 years, career. It used to be the prime years were from 27-32ish. Now the prime starts much earlier.

You can come flying out the gate but have one foot in the minors by your prime... like Gagner for example and maybe even Eberle if he didn't get rescued by NYI. You have Ehlers and Laine and Nylander, guys on great teams but already kind of losing their luster. Maybe they bounce back, maybe it's a worrying trend going forward.

We had the Sedins vs. Comrie and Havlat argument. The best guys from 1999 were Swedes (twins, Zetterberg) and Barrett Jackman.

Juolevi just turned 21 less than a week ago. If it wasn't for his back luck he would have been an NHLer with Hughes last year. That's not bad for a 20 year old Dman.

So writing it in stone at this point is kind of silly. And we do have 1st line material in Petey and Brock.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Post Reply