Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by Topper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm intrigued to see what Tramking brings as he becomes more familiar with the NHL ice and game. I'm expecting him to start laying some folks out and he won't even be extending himself doing so.

How high is his ceiling?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:56 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:Tanev and Edler 23 min/game
Hutton Guds 22 min
Tree Larsen 17 min

Mobile, physical, offensive ability. I have no problem with this top 6.
2 extra minutes = too many men on ice. :mrgreen:

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Topper wrote:I'm intrigued to see what Tramking brings as he becomes more familiar with the NHL ice and game. I'm expecting him to start laying some folks out and he won't even be extending himself doing so.

How high is his ceiling?
Plus his conditioning should be a lot better for the upcoming season. He emptied the tank early most nights, but hopefully he's better prepared now.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Coldsteel79
AHL Prospect

Post by Coldsteel79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Topper wrote:I'm intrigued to see what Tramking brings as he becomes more familiar with the NHL ice and game. I'm expecting him to start laying some folks out and he won't even be extending himself doing so.

How high is his ceiling?
I think he can be a top 2 guy but I drink kool aid

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Coldsteel79 wrote:

How high is his ceiling?
I think he can be a top 2 guy but I drink kool aid
I traded for him a hockey SIM league and i gave my left nut so he better be top 2 :mrgreen:

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Does no one here hold out any hope for the younger Subban for this year ?

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:Does no one here hold out any hope for the younger Subban for this year ?

Not this year, no. The Canucks wanted to get him a few NHL games last year but even with all the injuries they couldn't get him up. I do think they will try to get him some games this year though, just not enough for him to be a regular. The knock on him is still his defensive game and with players like Stecher, Juolevi, and Larsen playing similar offensive roles but better defence I think he has fallen in the depth chart.

If he doesn't impress at camp and doesn't have a great start in Utica I could see him being on the next wave of prospects being moved out.
The only HW the Canucks need

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 pm

I find it hard to believe the aforementioned three players are miles ahead of Subban defensively at this point. Larsen by all accounts was a trainwreck in his own zone with the Coilers a few years ago. Stetcher and Juolevi have never played in the league. The kid has a lot to learn for sure but that is fascinating that those three players have leapfrogged him that quickly.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Coldsteel79
AHL Prospect

Post by Coldsteel79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I find it hard to believe the aforementioned three players are miles ahead of Subban defensively at this point. Larsen by all accounts was a trainwreck in his own zone with the Coilers a few years ago. Stetcher and Juolevi have never played in the league. The kid has a lot to learn for sure but that is fascinating that those three players have leapfrogged him that quickly.
Larsen played in a better league than the ahl though, I remember hearing Benning say he plans on getting subban call up time this season.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I find it hard to believe the aforementioned three players are miles ahead of Subban defensively at this point. Larsen by all accounts was a trainwreck in his own zone with the Coilers a few years ago. Stetcher and Juolevi have never played in the league. The kid has a lot to learn for sure but that is fascinating that those three players have leapfrogged him that quickly.

Fair points Blob. Just my opinion. Subban will see the NHL before Stecher and Juolevi for sure but I think their potential exceeds his currently. If Benning "had" to trade one of the four who do you think he'd part with?

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Coldsteel79 wrote:
Larsen played in a better league than the ahl though, I remember hearing Benning say he plans on getting subban call up time this season.
That was also the plan last year yet they couldn't get him into a game. I really hope he gets a chance this year.

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:23 pm

In my mind the top five are set, so there is only one spot open in the starting six. They shouldn't keep any young player up as the 7th or 8th dman to sit on the bench. Biega, Sbisa and Pedan likely fight over bench warming duty. Subban, Stecher and even Juolevi have a small chance to steal the sixth spot from Larsen, but they would need to play out of their mind amazing to get it. Just not likely to happen, but never say never.
We are all Jim Benning.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
In my mind the top five are set, so there is only one spot open in the starting six. They shouldn't keep any young player up as the 7th or 8th dman to sit on the bench. Biega, Sbisa and Pedan likely fight over bench warming duty. Subban, Stecher and even Juolevi have a small chance to steal the sixth spot from Larsen, but they would need to play out of their mind amazing to get it. Just not likely to happen, but never say never.

Yup, it's like Vey and Kenins last training camp, they all but had a locked up spot till mccann and virtanen outplayed them.

Now this year, larson pretty much has a spot locked up, unless one of Stecher/Subban really outplay him.

I just think Subban needs another year of AHL pro play to keep on learning the defensive side as best he can, but like Krug, he'll be best used with situational minutes, pure offensive zone deployment for his career if he makes it, but yeah one more of development would be great for him and probably Stecher when it's all said and done by the end of September.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Coldsteel79
AHL Prospect

Post by Coldsteel79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
I really hope Jim is able to sneak pedan through waivers for a full season in the ahl. I got the feeling this is gonna be another corrado situation, except that I think pedan has a good shot at being a bottom pairing nhl defender.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Suban does not matter, he won't be invited to the parade.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.