Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by Lloyd Braun » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Cornuck wrote:Also, the mood swings are normal for Canuck fans - you'll be sad tomorrow, don't worry. ;)
In the world of sports, I usually like to stand in the optimistic corner of the room.

Which might make me a bad Canucks fan?

Not sure, but I usually save the vitriol and mood-swings for shit that happens outside hockey arenas.

Yup. Definitely a bad Canucks fan.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Can't recall where I read this, but apparently OJ gained 9 lbs over the last half of this season. For a 17 year old playing big big minutes, WJC tourney and a long playoff run to the Mem Cup, that is quite an accomplishment.

6'3" 205 lbs isn't out of the question.

What was Lidstrom's playing weight?

:mex:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:33 pm

6'2, 190lbs
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 am

Juo 6'3 already?, dude gonna be a beast.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:01 am

SKYO wrote:Juo 6'3 already?, dude gonna be a beast.
You gonna need surgery to extract your tongue from your cheek there, Skyo? ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:08 am

If this kid reaches 200 lbs, I'll be mildly surprised but that's about the max one should expect out of him mass-wise. Kid just doesn't look to have the frame for it. Hopefully he can get out of the way of the Jordan Nolans and and Kyle Cliffords flying like cruise missiles at him over the blueline on the dump and chase, or learn Tanev's Gumby skills. Otherwise he'll be toast before his rookie year's up.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:30 am

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:What the fuck does any of the last two pages have to do with Olli Juolevi.
You know the draft pick this thread was supposed to be about.
No kidding...talk about derailing a topic. Isn't there moderator on this site to keep things on track?
That was a Mod and Odd Todd participating in that gong show. They didn't just derail the thread they took a huge crap on it. Disrespectful is what it is.
LOL! Ok Blobby.... :D

It's summer - there's only so much to discuss right now and some threads might get derailed along the way.

Relax, have some fun - things will tighten up closer to training camp.
I was going to reply to Strange's last post, but out of respect for everyone, I'll just leave it as it is. Cheers. :)

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:06 am

Hockey Widow wrote:We just don't have the room to keep him this year. Last year all keeping Hutton cost us was Corrado. Now if he is that good out of camp I'm sure Benning could make the room but I'm in the camp that says let him grow a bit. You know the Canucks will have him on a good training program and one more year with Hunter can't hurt.

If he doesn't crack the line up that means good things about our defence. No? Maybe? :mrgreen:
Well, IMO, this is a guy we really don't want to rush.
His body is still settling down to what it's going to be.
The problem with the NHL level is that there is almost no personal ice time.
There are the games, the team practices and sometimes optional skates which is about the only time you have to work on your own needs. That's not enough so all you can do is substitute in gym and weight room training which I don't think is always good so in a case like this, where the AHL level may well be skipped, another year in junior is probably better and I hate to say that because I'm an impatient fan !!
"evolution"

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I was going to reply to Strange's last post, but out of respect for everyone, I'll just leave it as it is. Cheers. :)
There see! I fixed his brain! :thumbs:

As awesome as Juolevi is, it's almost certain he goes back to junior for one more year.

He's in a good situation there and no way is management gonna rush him...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Cherry Picker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 am

Topper wrote:biggest weakness in the line up, Benning addresses it with Gudbrdson and now longer term with Juolevi.

GENIUS

Juolevi was a brilliant pick.
Much better than Tkabust (harsh, right?)
The defense looks a thousand times better than last year (underestimating? Probably.)
Now don't trade Tanev for any LW in the league.
We may finally have a team strength on defense, don't mess it up now.
Happy if they move Sbisa, Pedan, or Biega for a lesser gritty, skilled winger, maybe in a package with Etem or Granlund, but don't move Tanev for a home run LWer. That just messes up the defense again. Stronger D, covers-up mediocre wingers, but strong wingers won't cover-up a mediocre defense.
We are all Jim Benning.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:09 am

Cherry Picker wrote:
Topper wrote:biggest weakness in the line up, Benning addresses it with Gudbrdson and now longer term with Juolevi.

GENIUS

The defense looks a thousand times better than last year (underestimating? Probably.)
Happy if they move Sbisa, Pedan, or Biega for a lesser gritty, skilled winger, maybe in a package with Etem or Granlund, but don't move Tanev for a home run LWer. That just messes up the defense again. Stronger D, covers-up mediocre wingers, but strong wingers won't cover-up a mediocre defense.
Gotta agree with this. When I look at our D this year I already feel calmer. Strong goaltending and a strong D are going to be our hallmarks.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 am

Cherry Picker wrote:

GENIUS

I agree, keep Tanev for now and if he's traded it should be for a younger center, but do this in the future closer to when the Sedins retire, like the 2018 or 2019 NHL draft, and that's when Juo and Tramz will be ready for a more prominant role.

It'll be the Nashville special, develop dman then trade for asset you need, they got RyJo for Jones, seeing as Tanev doesn't have his value, we'd have to tack on another piece for a younger center who could go on the market then, like Duchene or Reinhart or whatever issue/crisis some team will go in, psycho coach, bad hockey market, cap probs, poor/cash strapped owner, whatever.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Coldsteel79
AHL Prospect

Post by Coldsteel79 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:27 pm

We got good defensive depth this year with Sbisa, biega, and tryamkin all of who can fill in the top4. I honestly think by the end of next season tyramkin is gonna be a top 4 guy, which if he is that will really open up a lot of possibilities.

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Can you get hard kool aid at the same place as hard lemonade & hard cider?

Intoxicating, it appears to be.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm

sagebrush wrote:Can you get hard kool aid at the same place as hard lemonade & hard cider?

Intoxicating, it appears to be.
Yeah , while I like the addition of Erik Gudbranson , I fail to see where the defence has improved leaps and bounds. I think Tanev has another gear, Hutton and Tryamkin should improve a bit, I am not seeing any decent depth beyond the top 4. It's too bad they couldn't have guillotined Sbisa and kept Hamhuis who could babysit on the third pairing and slide up into the top four when injuries occurred.

I see a younger, bigger, tougher defence but it also is an extremely thin defence at the moment.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES