Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:Offence starts with the defence, and it's exactly the problem we've had for many years.

Guys that can move the puck up to our forwards, join in the rush and get back and play their position are worth their weight in gold because they create offence. They make the forwards jobs substantially easier.

Not too mention someone that can legitimately run a PP from the point is sorely needed.

This is how we add team scoring, not one guy that can score and additional 30 goals but a defence that can spread scoring around and help 4 guys score 20 goals.

This pick could be huge for the team, he could be what Karlsson is for the Sens but better defensively. Our dmen need to be the smartest players on the ice, and from what I've read this kids hockey IQ is one of his biggest attributes.

I'm excited to see how he develops!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:50 pm

It's early to project much for Olli with any conviction but, using Jacob Trouba as a point of reference, Olli looks to have a lesser slap shot, but better defense, snap shot, playmaking, & possibly - wheels (@ same age). :thumbs:

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:23 am

sagebrush wrote: It's early to project much for Olli with any conviction but, using Jacob Trouba as a point of reference, Olli looks to have a lesser slap shot, but better defense, snap shot, playmaking, & possibly - wheels (@ same age). :thumbs:
Lots of people compare him to fellow Finn Olli Maatta.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:05 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
sagebrush wrote: It's early to project much for Olli with any conviction but, using Jacob Trouba as a point of reference, Olli looks to have a lesser slap shot, but better defense, snap shot, playmaking, & possibly - wheels (@ same age). :thumbs:
With the 5th overall, you'd hope Benning would have picked a player with higher upside than Maatta. Then again, you'd think the horde of blueliners picked ahead of him would have done better. Could be worse, Griffin Reinhart was picked at #4.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:35 am

Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
With the 5th overall, you'd hope Benning would have picked a player with higher upside than Maatta. Then again, you'd think the horde of blueliners picked ahead of him would have done better. Could be worse, Griffin Reinhart was picked at #4.
Well Juolevi is a better prospect than Maatta. The comparison is they play a similar style, good all over the ice, high IQ, similar size and came out of the same program in London. Another comparison is Lidstrom. I don't think anyone is saying Juolevi is the next Lidstrom, just their style of play is similar.

Hopefully our Olli can avoid the injuries and illnesses that have afflicted Maatta.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Well Juolevi is a better prospect than Maatta. The comparison is they play a similar style, good all over the ice, high IQ, similar size and came out of the same program in London. Another comparison is Lidstrom. I don't think anyone is saying Juolevi is the next Lidstrom, just their style of play is similar.

Hopefully our Olli can avoid the injuries and illnesses that have afflicted Maatta.
Yep, much better prospect than Maatta - they are compared because they are similar sized Fins. Maatta is a poor man's Juolevi, and as already said Maatta was hindered by a number of injuries. There a reason Maatta went 22 in his draft year and Juolevi 5 in his.

Griffin Reinhart is almost the exact opposite of Juolevi - not that smart on the ice and slow, while Juolevi is very smart and very mobile. Reinhart was a solid prospect who hasn't developed much since his draft year, hopefully the same doesn't occur with Juolevi.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I just hope that they dont bring him up at least until next year, may the 9 games just so he can see what he needs to work on.

I did like how Benning addressed that he likes how his junior team works with the player development.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Reefer2 wrote:I just hope that they dont bring him up at least until next year, may the 9 games just so he can see what he needs to work on.

I did like how Benning addressed that he likes how his junior team works with the player development.
Something to be said about drafting London Knights. More often than not, they turn out to be at least decent pros. I wonder if Virtanen would have played with the big club if his junior rights were with London instead of Calgary?

Keep this kid in London at least another year. We'll see how he does at the next WJHC.

No hurry to get him to Vancouver while they're still trying to put out the tire fire. At least wait until the smoke clears, along with some more deadwood.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:05 pm

IN, you are correct. Confirmed today that Juolevi will play in London or Vancouver. He is not eligible for Utica. He was drafted by London, selected off of London, not on loan.

For sure he will be back in London.

Wasn't he coming off a knee injury last season? Just saying injuries happen.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:IN, you are correct. Confirmed today that Juolevi will play in London or Vancouver. He is not eligible for Utica. He was drafted by London, selected off of London, not on loan.

For sure he will be back in London.

Wasn't he coming off a knee injury last season? Just saying injuries happen.
Fine by me, I don't see any need to rush him into the NHL as a 180ish pound d-man in the Western conference. One thing we should all be aware of is that London could definitely take a step back next season. Dvorak and Marner are going to be gone, and Tkachuk will probably get a chance to make Calgary. It could be a much weaker team, and that could impact on Juolevi's stats. If Tkachuk goes back to London, along with Juolevi, Max Jones and Tyler Parsons they still have some good pieces but the high octane offence will probably slow down a bit.

Not a big deal, so long as he continues to develop.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:47 pm

He apparently does have a good strength and conditioning plan that I'm sure will be tweaked by the Canucks. As well, Vancouver loves what Hunter does for his kids. Someone asked, would Jake been on Vancouver last year if he played for London. The simple answer is no.

At least one more year in London is exactly where Juolevi should be. He is going to get a chance to play in the juniors again as well.

Looking forward to seeing him at prospects camp.
The only HW the Canucks need

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:09 pm

It's not a guarantee that Marner won't be back in London. Due to his extremely slight frame I would say there is a good chance he will be back in London. The Leaves will be guaranteed Patrick, Liljegren frontrunners in the 2017 draft if they have all 3 pimple faced teenagers in Matthews, Nylander and Marner in the lineup next season
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:He apparently does have a good strength and conditioning plan that I'm sure will be tweaked by the Canucks. As well, Vancouver loves what Hunter does for his kids. Someone asked, would Jake been on Vancouver last year if he played for London. The simple answer is no.

At least one more year in London is exactly where Juolevi should be. He is going to get a chance to play in the juniors again as well.

Looking forward to seeing him at prospects camp.
Can always hope he will surprise at camp. I am definitely warming up to the pick after hearing Benning speak about him and getting a little more informed. I was particularly concerned it was a positional pick rather than a BPA pick, but, according to Benning, Juolevi was BPA regardless of position. Have trusted Benning's eye for young undrafted talent so far, so no point stopping now unless we see evidence to the contrary. Won't know for a few years but putting my trust JB the scout knows what he's doing with this pick.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 am

Cornuck wrote:In other news, I've set up an autocorrect for Olli's last name - typing 'J u' without quotes or the space will spell out Juolevi
We love our abbreviations here. Why not call him OJ? Bieksa is gone so we can even call him Juice.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:04 am

Eating Juolevi Juolevi beans (J_u J_u Beans) to avoid bad Juolevi Juolevi (bad J_u J_u).
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.