Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck select Olli Juolevi - #5 pick

Post by 2Fingers »

It is not a bad pick but damn it leaves the forwards very thin in 2 - 4 years.

Who do we have that could be considered 1st line player or potential?

Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser (sp)

The biggest positive is that I believe it is easier to sign a good FA at a forward position vs. a defender so if Juolevi is a 40 - 50 point guy then this is a good pick. If he turns out to be another Hamhuis then this was a really bad pick. Again only time will tell.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Hockey Widow wrote:Yes our D is looking up.

Brisbois
Trymakin
Gudbranson
Juolevi
Stecher
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

If he turns out to be another Hamhuis then this was a really bad pick. Again only time will tell.
Well, by your logic wouldn't you also have to wait to see how Tkachuk pans out?

Take care...
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

more scouting reports:

ISS:
"Smart two-way defender with size. Fluid skating stride with quickness and speed. Very effective running PP, has a very high panic threshold when being pressured. Changes angles well and can walk the line to open up shooting lane. Not physical, relies on body positioning and a good stick to defend. Very good skater with mobility, good gap control and pivots. Retrieves drop-ins quickly. He has solid point production this year, which is due to the way he reads the ice so well and finds the open man. Ability to slip the first man in on the fore check. Equally as good on defense as he is on offense. Close to being NHL ready. Still needs to get stronger physically as he has a lanky frame."

Eliteprospect

" competitive spark plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman who can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blue-liner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations"
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rikster wrote:
If he turns out to be another Hamhuis then this was a really bad pick. Again only time will tell.
Well, by your logic wouldn't you also have to wait to see how Tkachuk pans out?

Take care...
What???

Sorry have no understanding of what you are trying to say.

But i can be clearer for you if needed, a Hamhuis type player is easier to get and easier to develop - is that clear for you?

Of course you have to wait for Tkachuk to develop, still dont understand what you are trying to say.

take care
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Juolevi sounds like a good pick. That's pretty exciting if he can play in Utica as early as next year (if he's ready).

My frustration is; after that absolutely horrid season, we got punted in the balls by the draft lottery. Instead of moving up to get one of those two potential super stars, we moved down to a spot where there is more question marks. Seeing everything work out pretty great for Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton was salt in the wound.

I was pretty excited with PL Dubois. Columbus going a bit off the board there was disappointing. It is going to be a hell of a lot harder to replace Hank than getting another T4D.

First line type players and #1D men are what you want to get with your high picks after awful seasons. I don't get the sense that we just drafted an Aaron Ekblad or anything, so I think this draft was a bit of a failure in that regard.

That being said, organizationally, we aren't so bad at wing. If Juolevi turns out to be a top pairing defender in the next few years, we'll all be laughing.

So, I'm not gutted, but this is certainly not how I dreamed things would end up draft-wise after that terrible season.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

^^^^^ - exactly Herb
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't mind Juolevi, defence is at an all time premium so it seems, and his IQ hockey sense and skating are off the charts and those type of D are in vogue for the way the game is played now, but when you are picking this high and your 1st line is 36 years old with maybe 2 years shelf life left one would think that drafting a forward would have been best. No offense to Horvat, Virtanen and Boeser but I am hard pressed to consider them elite 1st line talent. We just gutted the futures to get a 24 year old Gudbranson, throw in a 22 year old Hutton, 20 year old Tryamkin, Stecher, 25 year old Tanev and loads of hockey left in Edler I didn't think our D was in bad shape, but what the fuck do I know, eh? I do know that you can't find 1st line talent in free agency unless you want to buck up $10 million for a Stamkos nor trade for it unless you want to absolutely gut the farm and right now our farm is rather thin. 1st line elite talent is 9 times out of 10 drafted high by said team. I doubt we will be drafting this high again with this big push to make the playoffs. My two cents. I guess we gotta keep our fingers crossed that Horvat centering Boeser and Virtanen will turn into a quality first line after the twins are done. I just don't see the high end talent there. Not saying that Tkachuk is first line elite skill set, but the chances are decent that he will be. To be honest, Keller and Nylander may turn out to be better 1st line talent than Tkachuk. Tkachuks skating is a concern, especially since the game is about speed now. Some scouts felt that Nylander was extremely undervalued heading into the draft.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Watched a couple of highlight clips on Juolevi. What stands out for me are his passing and calmness with the puck. He doesn't have a bomb from the point but does get the puck through for a shot on net. He controls the point well and can skate real well. The clips I saw were all offensive highlights so I didn't get a read on the D side of his game. But I got excited thinking he has the potential to be that quarterback type on D. Kid has some real offensive upside.

Listened to a couple of media clips after he was selected. He comes across as a mature 18 year old. Even though he still needs to work on his English he is well spoken, funny, thoughtful. He gives more than one word answers and all the usual platitudes.

He was asked why he chose London over staying in Europe. He gave three reasons. First, his home team is actually in the KHL and he felt it was a little too much of a jump for him at the time. He didn't feel he would get the playing time he need to continue his development. Second, he said Hunter is considered one of the best, if not best, junior coaches in the world. He stresses development above winning and puts his efforts into helping players identify and work on whatever it is to transition into the NHL. Third, he wanted a head start on North American ice.

The kid comes across as a very cerebral player. He said the strongest part of his game is O and developing his D game is what he wants to improve upon. Asked about his size he said it's not going to be an issue. He has a strength and conditioning plan and has already noted improvements.

Asked where he wanted to play next year, Europe, London, Utica he responded, Vancouver. Said he was going to come to camp and work his..........really hard to make the team.

Warming up more to this pick.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Reefer2 wrote:It is not a bad pick but damn it leaves the forwards very thin in 2 - 4 years.

Who do we have that could be considered 1st line player or potential?

Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser (sp)

The biggest positive is that I believe it is easier to sign a good FA at a forward position vs. a defender so if Juolevi is a 40 - 50 point guy then this is a good pick. If he turns out to be another Hamhuis then this was a really bad pick. Again only time will tell.
Are you high, Reef? If he turns out to be Hamhuis in his prime then its a very good pick. Not a #1 but a solid 2-3. There are very few true no.1s in this league, perhaps none in this draft.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Are you stupid Clam - great we have a #1 shut down D man but then I guess we will win every game 1 - 0.

A safe player like Hamhuis is easier to get and develop than a top 3 forward scoring player if you are developing through the draft. Hamhuis will not and cannot win a game or series by putting the team on his back.

I have already said that getting top 3 players in FA is sometimes easier than a top 2 defender so maybe Benning believe he can fill the gaps in FA by throwing money at specific players.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In other news, I've set up an autocorrect for Olli's last name - typing 'J u' without quotes or the space will spell out Juolevi
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

herb wrote:Juolevi sounds like a good pick. That's pretty exciting if he can play in Utica as early as next year (if he's ready).

My frustration is; after that absolutely horrid season, we got punted in the balls by the draft lottery. Instead of moving up to get one of those two potential super stars, we moved down to a spot where there is more question marks. Seeing everything work out pretty great for Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton was salt in the wound.

I was pretty excited with PL Dubois. Columbus going a bit off the board there was disappointing. It is going to be a hell of a lot harder to replace Hank than getting another T4D.

First line type players and #1D men are what you want to get with your high picks after awful seasons. I don't get the sense that we just drafted an Aaron Ekblad or anything, so I think this draft was a bit of a failure in that regard.

That being said, organizationally, we aren't so bad at wing. If Juolevi turns out to be a top pairing defender in the next few years, we'll all be laughing.

So, I'm not gutted, but this is certainly not how I dreamed things would end up draft-wise after that terrible season.
pretty frustrating that columbus took our draft position and then took our pick

Canuck luck seems all any of us can count on.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning, post round one interview.

Had Juolevi ranked 5th on their chart. Dubois 4th. Took PBA according to their rankings.

Was asked to comment on Columbus selecting Bubois. Said I don't comment on what other teams are doing.

Was asked to compare Taychook and why he passed on him. Benning said he doesn't comment on players on other teams. Then said Taychook had a great year and they debated but in the end believes you build from goal out and Juolevi was a higher need than a winger.

Was asked if he wanted more picks, ya duh stupid question eh. Benning chuckled and said well ya I'd like more picks. Went on to say that organizationally we don't have the assets to really trade for picks other than our future core, of which we gave up a couple of pieces to land Gudbranson. Said he felt we now have depth in all positions so that moving forward we can keep our picks and begin to add more. Wants to be like some of those teams that have a lot of picks so they can move up and down in the draft. Described that as fun.

No comment on the up coming FA period.

On where Juolevi plays next year. If he can add muscle and improve his strength he has a chance to play in the NHL but feels going back to London for at least a year is better for him. He spoke highly of the London program and said he has no problem with him returning there. Said much the same thing about Boeser returning to UND. Said another year at London can do Juolevi a lot of good. Just may not be ready to play against men yet. Speed, O, hockey IQ, he's ready for the NHL but his strength just isn't there. Said it depends upon the summer he puts in and how he shows at camp.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote:
herb wrote:Juolevi sounds like a good pick. That's pretty exciting if he can play in Utica as early as next year (if he's ready).

pretty frustrating that columbus took our draft position and then took our pick

Canuck luck seems all any of us can count on.
See I think Columbus screwed it up. If Vancouver had the third they would have taken the other Finn. Edmonton was set to take Juolevi. Columbus could have traded down and grabbed an asset from Vancouver and still got their player. Benning gets flak for not trading down to pick Juolevi and grabbing another pick. But Columbus gets a pass?

It was more of a sure thing for Columbus trading their pick and getting their man than it was for Vancouver trading down and getting their man.