Canucks trade MCCann for Gudbranson

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks trade MCCann for Gudbranson

Post by Strangelove »

HERB!!! :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Thanks man!

Pretty stoked about this trade. Gudbranson will be another fan favourite like Bieksa. We filled a long term organizational need by dealing from a position of strength, which is exactly what you are supposed to do.

McCann was a spare part on this team for at least another year, maybe two. He should probably play in the A next season. Longer term this trade could hurt, but I think it's a good gamble.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Don't be surprised if Virtanen is next, heard through a good source that he is about 25 lbs overweight right now. Sounds like he's not following his off season program set out for him in keeping his weight down. Is he another Big Country Reeves off season basket case?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Thanks man!

Pretty stoked about this trade. Gudbranson will be another fan favourite like Bieksa. We filled a long term organizational need by dealing from a position of strength, which is exactly what you are supposed to do.

McCann was a spare part on this team for at least another year, maybe two. He should probably play in the A next season. Longer term this trade could hurt, but I think it's a good gamble.
Affirmative, I envisioned a preseason battle between McCann and Rodin for a top 6 winger spot this upcoming season, but probable AHL duty.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If people think we over paid they need to ask what type of return they would expect for Tanev, Hutton. Hamilton went for a first (our McCann) and 2, 2nds.

We at least get back a pick. This is a good trade people. But ya he'll probably hit a big contract next year. We'll also have to protect him in any expansion draft.

Florida has so many centres and already rumours are starting that McCann will be switched to wing.

As for points from the back end, we'll both Tanev and Hutton will be working with a shooting coach this off season. Plus if Edler is healthy we will get steady production from him. Larson and Stecker are unknowns right now but have potential.

As for Benning adding picks who knows what he will do.
The only HW the Canucks need

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blobbee and Island Knuckle Farm's good buddies over at the Canucks HFBoards are committing hari Kari. It's quite comical
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I like McCann, think he has good upside. But he is a few years away. If he can learn to keep the puck and get his shot going he can carve out a good career. He sucked in the FO circle though. Maybe wing is a good shift for him.

We also have to remember we switched Gaunce back to centre. We had too many 2-4 type centres. I did not and do not see McCann as a number one centre.
The only HW the Canucks need

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hockey Widow wrote:If people think we over paid they need to ask what type of return they would expect for Tanev, Hutton. Hamilton went for a first (our McCann) and 2, 2nds.

We at least get back a pick. This is a good trade people. But ya he'll probably hit a big contract next year. We'll also have to protect him in any expansion draft.

Florida has so many centres and already rumours are starting that McCann will be switched to wing.

As for points from the back end, we'll both Tanev and Hutton will be working with a shooting coach this off season. Plus if Edler is healthy we will get steady production from him. Larson and Stecker are unknowns right now but have potential.

As for Benning adding picks who knows what he will do.
Gudbranson isn't as good as Hamilton or Tanev so those aren't great comparables. I am ok with the deal if the picks are recouped. If they aren't I will be pissed at Iggy for chomping on another GMs cock again. Replace the pick by sealing Hansen and I'm happy. Just as I would have been fine swapping Hunter for Sven. A 2nd rounder for Granlund = YUCK.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I like McCann, think he has good upside. But he is a few years away. If he can learn to keep the puck and get his shot going he can carve out a good career. He sucked in the FO circle though. Maybe wing is a good shift for him.

We also have to remember we switched Gaunce back to centre. We had too many 2-4 type centres. I did not and do not see McCann as a number one centre.
McCann I understand giving up - give to get. Even if Gudbranson is just a #4 guy long term and McCann becomes a top 6 forwards it's still decent value. The 33 pick is a bit too much, would have liked to pick another top prospect there. 4th for a 5th - meh, whatever.

I'm ok with the trade overall, just wish once Jimbo would make a deal where I think right away - good deal for us. Maybe the Kesler deal was a few years back, but other than that it's been tough going. Baertschi's deal looks pretty good too, but otherwise it seems like one pick too many each time. For a guy who drafts as well as Benning does he sure likes to give up picks - now only 11 left out of 14 possible for the next 2 years. He's becoming like Nonis and trading 2nd rounders like it's going out of style.

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Hockey Widow wrote:I like McCann, think he has good upside. But he is a few years away. If he can learn to keep the puck and get his shot going he can carve out a good career. He sucked in the FO circle though. Maybe wing is a good shift for him.

I see one first line center in Henry

A second liner in Bo

A third liner in Sutter

And a couple 13th forwards in Gaunce and Granlund. I'm not seeing this plethora of 2-4 centres.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Shame to see more young skill go out the door, but having Gudbranson patrolling the blueline will be a sight for sore eyes. He'll help make life miserable for all that talent Alberta has been accumulating. Hello McDavid.

Too bad Benning didn't have that Luongo 800k nullified as part of the deal, its kinda not exactly helping the cap situation (and bogus the way Lu has played). The 2nd kinda hurts, I was hoping he'd be able to snag someone like Benson.

May I suggest patience w/ the process...
Diehard1 wrote:I'm ok with the trade overall, just wish once Jimbo would make a deal where I think right away - good deal for us. Maybe the Kesler deal was a few years back, but other than that it's been tough going. Baertschi's deal looks pretty good too, but otherwise it seems like one pick too many each time. For a guy who drafts as well as Benning does he sure likes to give up picks - now only 11 left out of 14 possible for the next 2 years. He's becoming like Nonis and trading 2nd rounders like it's going out of style.
You got that right, couldn't agree more. Its strange, really. Trading is clearly not Benning's forté, scouting/drafting is. Aqua should "promote" him to head scout and bring in a GM who can trade w/o hemorrhaging 2nds.
Attachments
Trader Jim
Trader Jim
CanucksTrades.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I could see Benning having a side deal with Arizona that if Dubois goes at 4 that the Canucks trade #5 (Tkachuk) to Arizona for their 7th & 22nd pick....

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Don't be surprised if Virtanen is next, heard through a good source that he is about 25 lbs overweight right now. Sounds like he's not following his off season program set out for him in keeping his weight down. Is he another Big Country Reeves off season basket case?
Yeah RD.....the guy is a fucking whale right now.....

https://twitter.com/Canucksforkids/stat ... 9688832005

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Regardless of the trade, Benning's apparent lack of emotional attachment to any of his acquisitions is a refreshing change of pace.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

So right now Ryan Kesler plus picks got us Gudbranson, Sbisa, and Sutter.....