2016 Conference Finals

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

2016 Conference Finals

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tampa/Pitsburgh
St. Louis/SJS

Stamkos practiced today without the no contact jersey. Medical staff are changing up his medications trying to move forward to get medical clearance to play. Stamkos says he expects to get back in the Conference Finals, but not game 1. Tampa still has him on LTI with no update. So we are still waiting to see if he can return.

Game one in the East goes tonight. Normally I'd give the edge to Tampa but the Pens had a pretty strong second round and Murray is having a great playoffs. Although MAF is healthy and wants to play. Pens have a goalie controversy at the worst time. Rumours swirl that this is MAF's team and he will get the net but will have a short leash. We'll see I guess.

Pens in 7.

In the West, all of my dreams, except one have come true. I really wanted Nashville to take out those Sharks. But I will be pleased to see them lose in the Confetence Final! Blues are rolling but goaltending, to me, is still an issue with Elliot running hot and cold. If Elliot stabilizes he will be the difference maker. They too have a goalie controversy but unlike to Pens, in St. Louis it may be the case of the lesser of two evils.

SJS meanwhile are rolling along nicely with very few injuries to speak of. They are looking good, unfortunately.

I take St. Louis is 7.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2016 Conference Finals

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Stamkos practiced today without the no contact jersey. Medical staff are changing up his medications trying to move forward to get medical clearance to play.
Stammer had no need to wear a no-contact jersey because it was a no-contact practice.

He will remain in a no-contact situation until he's 100% off the blood-thinners.

Which may be very soon according to reports... but who knows?

It is very difficult to remain in top shape while on blood-thinners (speaking from experience).

So yeah, he'll definitely be rusty.

Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that this injury will not affect him moving forward.

His was not a clotting problem such as Dupuis and Timmonen had.

His was a thoracic outlet syndrome caused by an "extra" rib:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_ ... e-Walden-4

(the "neck rib" he had removed is the size of a finger)

This "extra" rib was the sole cause of the blood clot... and now it's gone!

There is no doubt in my mind that Stamkos will return to 40-goal form (clot was likely hampering him for awhile).

Stamkos is one of my favorite players in the game today so Jimmy

... offer him 7 X $13M if he goes UFA, please and thank you! :thumbs:

EDIT: btw I'm cheering for the Pens to win the Cup
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If going the Stamkos route, the Sedins should be asked to waive and try to move them while they still have life!
It's just business.
"evolution"
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tampa/Pitsburgh
St. Louis/SJS

Stamkos practiced today without the no contact jersey. Medical staff are changing up his medications trying to move forward to get medical clearance to play. Stamkos says he expects to get back in the Conference Finals, but not game 1. Tampa still has him on LTI with no update. So we are still waiting to see if he can return.

Game one in the East goes tonight. Normally I'd give the edge to Tampa but the Pens had a pretty strong second round and Murray is having a great playoffs. Although MAF is healthy and wants to play. Pens have a goalie controversy at the worst time. Rumours swirl that this is MAF's team and he will get the net but will have a short leash. We'll see I guess.

Pens in 7.

In the West, all of my dreams, except one have come true. I really wanted Nashville to take out those Sharks. But I will be pleased to see them lose in the Confetence Final! Blues are rolling but goaltending, to me, is still an issue with Elliot running hot and cold. If Elliot stabilizes he will be the difference maker. They too have a goalie controversy but unlike to Pens, in St. Louis it may be the case of the lesser of two evils.

SJS meanwhile are rolling along nicely with very few injuries to speak of. They are looking good, unfortunately.

I take St. Louis is 7.
Ha! you would go with the prevailing 'favourites'. :P
I will say that the Shark attack will be too much for the la Blue machine.
The Lightening are proving to be more resilient than most hockey experts predicted and IF the StamMan returns I think it will turn the tide.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only reason Doc wants the Pens to win the Cup is so the leaves pick 30th. Nice bookends though, 1st and 30th.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote:If going the Stamkos route, the Sedins should be asked to waive and try to move them while they still have life!
It's just business.
Except that the Sedins with Stamkos could actually make a legitimate 1st unit PP threat!

We're fine with the twins and Stamkos on the books until the their current deals expire, then we have Bo, Tramkin, and Hutton to re-up. So Hank and Dank take a discount and play second fiddle to Stammer and the rest of the top line!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sharks and Pens in the Final.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

How come Bishop is not in net? Tuned in late.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:How come Bishop is not in net? Tuned in late.
Stretchered off. Looks like knee/ankle.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:How come Bishop is not in net? Tuned in late.
Stretchered off. Looks like knee/ankle.

Could be a blessing for them :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:The only reason Doc wants the Pens to win the Cup is so the leaves pick 30th.
:thumbs:

Mid-season, most Leafers had themselves convinced that Pens pick would be 16th - 18th. :D

But back on topic, cue the Penguin comeback...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blood thinners are more commonly known as Rat poison.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
micky107 wrote:If going the Stamkos route, the Sedins should be asked to waive and try to move them while they still have life!
It's just business.
Except that the Sedins with Stamkos could actually make a legitimate 1st unit PP threat!

We're fine with the twins and Stamkos on the books until the their current deals expire, then we have Bo, Tramkin, and Hutton to re-up. So Hank and Dank take a discount and play second fiddle to Stammer and the rest of the top line!
The way I look at it, why wait?
We are VERY attached to them and that is clear all round this town but we are rebuilding and in all fairness to them, if a hockey deal could be made for them to go to a contender, whether it be together or not, and we get a piece, high draft, or something younger that helps our team now, isn't that just another part of due diligence?
I'm not saying do it just to make change. Just explore all options, leave no stone unturned, that's all...
"evolution"
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

micky107 wrote:
The way I look at it, why wait?
We are VERY attached to them and that is clear all round this town but we are rebuilding and in all fairness to them, if a hockey deal could be made for them to go to a contender, whether it be together or not, and we get a piece, high draft, or something younger that helps our team now, isn't that just another part of due diligence?
I'm not saying do it just to make change. Just explore all options, leave no stone unturned, that's all...
Although I don't see the Sedins going anywhere ... ever ... I agree 100%. If there is a deal that makes our club better then JB should have no problem approaching the twins to waive. They are class acts through and through and if they happen to get approached and choose not to waive they will remain class acts. They shouldn't let it affect their demeanor, on or off the ice. This is always my biggest concern when players get asked to waive a NMC.

I can see a future with Stamkos if he chooses to sign here. However, if he does make it to UFA I would expect any team that has the space to offer him a max $ contract. He'll have options.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I see a St.Louis vs. Pittsburgh final, myself. San Jose are perennial chokers in the post season and St. Louis is just too well coached and too deep on D to let it slip by. Regardless of what happens in the West I see the winner of the East taking it home. Too long of series in the West and much more physically demanding. They will be tired.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.