Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Micky »

Meds wrote:
bckev wrote:Good info widow, kind of what I guessed was happening. I see Benning being patient now and waiting to see who he can take advantage of.
Patience isn't signing Sutter, Dorsett, and Sbisa, to contracts that tie up way more than what they should in cap space.

Do you think there is potential that Benning could have landed Loui Eriksson AND another one of the higher end free agents if he had another $3M or so in space?
I really thought something was going to happen with Burrows along the lines of us maybe picking up about 1.5 of his contract for next year.
I heard Burrows say at the end of the year, he was open to talking about anything.
I can only assume that either that wasn't true or JB couldn't find anything that made sense to him.
I thought just getting a 3rd or 4th round pick would have done it and that would have been around the extra money your talking.
Maybe no takers, haven't got a clue.
Could have taken a run at another free agent or maybe even better, just freed up a roster spot to be used by someone who earned it out of camp or found a hockey trade later after the season started.
Doesn't seem likely now..
Last edited by Micky on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:*twiddles thumbs* awaits trade rumours from HW.
LOL

Canucks are in a holding pattern with a couple of potential deals they could make and a handful of FA they like.

Benning is likely to make 1-2 more moves in all of that, not all of the deals nor sign all of the FAs :mrgreen: but unless the offers change he is content to play the long game right now.

Hearing they want to move one D man and it depends upon offers. They would like to move Sbisa but don't be surprised to see Pedan moved.

The Canucks would like to add an experienced veteran D man to play the 7th-8th role if they can. But to do that they need to clear space, cap and roster. They are looking for leadership and a player who can step in during injuries but be comfortable being a scratch, something they don't want with either Biega nor Pedan.

Larsen is penciled in to play third line but first unit PP. One of the reasons he agreed to return to the NHL was to quarterback the PP with the twins.

So the plan is still to upgrade the top six and cull the D core.
Thanks H-dubz.

The bolded part sounds like Kris Russell. ayyyy

Can't wait for the dominoes to drop so the transactions can begin.
I don't think Russell fits that at all. He isn't one to sit in the press box waiting for injuries. IMHO.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: They would like to move Sbisa but don't be surprised to see Pedan moved...
The Canucks would like to add an experienced veteran D man to play the 7th-8th role if they can.
So...keep Sbisa...get him a nice recliner and a pizza in the broadcast booth...and only let him out when we need him. We missed so many man-games on defence last year that if Sbiza was our #7 or #8, he'd still get 45 games. Btw, last season, our 7th-10th d-men played 51,45,13 and 13 games each.
It's his cap. Too much to play that role. Think 1-1.2 million, or even less, journey man.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Meds wrote:
bckev wrote:Good info widow, kind of what I guessed was happening. I see Benning being patient now and waiting to see who he can take advantage of.
Patience isn't signing Sutter, Dorsett, and Sbisa, to contracts that tie up way more than what they should in cap space.

Do you think there is potential that Benning could have landed Loui Eriksson AND another one of the higher end free agents if he had another $3M or so in space?

Yes, which was why Burrows wasn't safe until Lucic notified the Canucks he was signing elsewhere. Lucic let the Canucks know of his intentions before the buy out window closed as he knew the plan Benning shared with him. The Canucks wanted both Lucic and Eriksson and had they gotten both Burrows would have been gone. The money would have been found.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Meds wrote:

I really thought something was going to happen with Burrows along the lines of us maybe picking up about 1.5 of his contract for next year.
I heard Burrows say at the end of the year, he was open to talking about anything.
I can only assume that either that wasn't true or JB couldn't find anything that made sense to him.
I thought just getting a 3rd or 4th round pick would have done it and that would have been around the extra money your talking.
Maybe no takers, haven't got a clue.
Could have taken a run at another free agent or maybe even better, just freed up a roster spot to be used by someone who earned it out of camp or found a hockey trade later after the season stared.
Doesn't seem likely now..
Benning had options with Burrows, from trading him with and without retention to a buy out. Once Lucic was off the table the Canucks assessed the secondary FA market and decided they like what Burrows brings and the cap and term were right. One year, 4.5m then off the books. The fact that they still believe they can land another forward with skill and grit, and think it is in the trade market makes us ok. We have just I've 4m plus whatever we off set in a trade.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: I remember thinking about having Lucic and Kassian on the Canucks at one point, now they both on the Oilers. *yikes*, luckily they are scumbags. :mrgreen:

Virtanen and Dorsett will need another guy helping out the Sedins and Eriksson.
Yeah, we're really soft up front. I would have luved to seen Big Looch and Kassassian together on our team (maybe on a line) too, but it wasn't meant to be. I like the look of our backend though with: Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa and Pedan. It looks like we have some guys with some real size and grit now. I think Miller and Marky Mark will be happy to have those guys in front of them clearing the crease and keeping opposition forwards honest as our goaltenders got "accidently" bumped into far too regularly. Especially the Lou days. I guess Pedan can play 4th line LW on ocassion to help out if needed.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cherry Picker wrote:
Topper wrote:That christ cherry season is almost over and you go back to where ever the fuck you came from.
Gawd, I so badly want to do a yo mamma joke right now, but I need to restrain myself on my first day. Besides we are all Jim Benning.
so ashes to ashes then
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Only Pedan and Grenier left to be re-signed.
nhlfreeagents ‏@NHLFREEAGENTS
Vancouver Canucks signed (F) Michael Zalewski to a one-year two-way $632,500 contract extension #NHL
General Fanager ‏@generalfanager
Michael Zalewski (#Canucks)
1 yr @ $632,500
$100,000 AHL

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1913
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Re Burrows:

I really hope Benning has the guts to consider trading Burrows (and Miller) at the trade deadline. I know they want to make the playoffs, but we cannot simply just let our expiring contracts go for nothing every year. There should be draft picks available for these guys from contending teams. Last thing I want to see is us keep everyone and just miss the playoffs.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Zedlee wrote:Re Burrows:

I really hope Benning has the guts to consider trading Burrows (and Miller) at the trade deadline. I know they want to make the playoffs, but we cannot simply just let our expiring contracts go for nothing every year. There should be draft picks available for these guys from contending teams. Last thing I want to see is us keep everyone and just miss the playoffs.
So this last deadline must have really pissed you off?

Burrows without retention means another shitty contract coming back this way. No thanks just let he and Miller play out their deals and retire or move to another team.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Burrows without retention means another shitty contract coming back this way. No thanks just let he and Miller play out their deals and retire or move to another team.
Yes...the last deadline was a huge disappointment for me. And most of us.
I am hoping (but not assuming) that we can trade Burr without having to retain. I'm ok with us taking on an expiring contract if it means draft picks are also included.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Or surprise everyone and do something with Burrows sooner.

Can't do anything about Miller.

Some say let Burrows play out his contract and while doing so, mentor the young.

Well, in my eyes, he is a guy who has no intention of retiring after this contract and will be extremely avid in getting as much ice time as he can, this year.
I don't know if a guy in his position could be called a good choice for a mentor considering he has to play for himself.

This is not a like or a dislike, just an observation. :arrow:
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote:
Well, in my eyes, he is a guy who has no intention of retiring after this contract and will be extremely avid in getting as much ice time as he can, this year.
Maybe its naive, but I think Burrows is a guy that will do whatever it takes to stay in Vancouver after this year. Dude loves this city, and bleeds blue and green. He's probably the most emotionally-attached player on the roster, and IMO the Canucks could do with a little more passion, even if its at the expense of some skill.

The way Burrows clawed his way up from the bottom of the barrel, and his all-out approach to playing the game, has made him my favourite Canuck since before he joined the Sedins and ran four straight 25-goal seasons.

I could actually see him staying on a $1 million contract, because this is really where his heart is.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Let's just wait and see how much game the guy has left before we suggest re-signing him.

There's no doubt he's the heart and soul, but if he can't play at this level anymore, he's of absolutely no use.

Here's hoping he has an injury-free bounce back season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks sign Mike Zalewski to a one year, two way deal. Just under $700,000k NHL salary, $100,000 AHL salary.

Only Pedan and Grenier left to get under contract.