Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Soapy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Also.... if the Canucks had any indication that he might go back to Russia....
why not trade him at the deadline for ANYTHING !!
What playoff team would not want him for depth....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Pretty rough day to be a Canucks fan. You expect the disappointment of losing the draft lottery but this one came out of nowhere. Tryamkin was the most exciting defenceman prospect in a long time. Pretty hard to replace a player like that. What a shame.

rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm

I might be way out on a ledge with this one, but as someone who enjoys following American politics I've often wondered if the blow back from the Russians meddling in American politics could impact some of their players decisions to stay or come to North America?..

I can see how some Russian players might feel uncomfortable living in North America, especially those playing in US cities and it might be especially uncomfortable for the wives, especially when their husbands are on the road...

Not to mention their school age children....

Take care...

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Soapy wrote:Also.... if the Canucks had any indication that he might go back to Russia....
If Benning traded him for <anything>, and Tryamkin then stayed with his new team, Benning would have been roasted for it by fans and media who knew nothing (except for alleged rumours of discontent in the dressing room) about what really happened.

Russian players. You win some, you lose some.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Soapy wrote:Also.... if the Canucks had any indication that he might go back to Russia....
If Benning traded him for <anything>, and Tryamkin then stayed with his new team, Benning would have been roasted for it by fans and media who knew nothing (except for alleged rumours of discontent in the dressing room) about what really happened.

Russian players. You win some, you lose some.
Totally agree.
My point is that they got nothing....
even if he stayed with the new team we would have SOMETHING !!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Soapy wrote: My point is that they got nothing....
even if he stayed with the new team we would have SOMETHING !!
I'd rather keep his rights and let him develop over in the KHL so if/when he decides to come back we could have a more developed tryamkin and one heck of a dman, + the team will be in a better position in the rebuild in a couple years. That's when I think we'll see the return of the tryamking.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Maybe he looked around one morning and felt like Gulliver in Lilliput....and just like Gulliver all he wanted was to go home
nobody forks...with the jesus

Cherry Picker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I thought he was the second best defenseman on the Canucks, after Tanev. Totally NHL ready and could play on any club. Going away to Russia to develop is nothing anyone was taking about prior to his signing with the KHL so that seems like a crap rationalization after the fact. He was developing just fine here. Huge loss! Miller seemed to really like him. Won't be surprised if this affects Miller choice of team, and he resigns elsewhere, which is what I want, but not for the reason that the management failed to resign Tryamkin.
We are all Jim Benning.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm

It really is a gut punch out of nowhere. But let's breakdown what is being written by various sources.

1) Trymakin felt he was in shape to start the season and was surprised and confused by the Canucks sitting him for the first ten games.

2) Canucks tried, publicly and privately, to pressure Trymakin to go to Utica to start the season. It appears, rightly or wrongly, they wanted him in Utica.

3) Trymakin was upset and wanted to go back to Russia but the Canucks refused to let him out of his contract.

4) Injuries happen, he gets into the lineup. He becomes one of our more consistent Dmen but out of Hutton, Stetcher, Sbisa, Edler, Tanev, he gets the least amount of ice time, just under 17 minutes a night. Some games he play 11-12 minutes, other he's up at 20 minutes. He doesn't understand why.

5) he has issues with both Willie and Lidster.

6) he is very very close to his family, especially his grandparents who he wants to be able to spend more time with.

7) His wife misses Russia.

8) Russia is trying to get as many players back in the KHL with promises of an Olympic roster spot. Winning gold at the Olympics is a national duty. Playing in the KHL now would give him a huge shot at doing this.

9 He's 22, reluctant to come to the NHL in the first place, homesick, full of national pride, unhappy with how's he perceived the Canucks have treated him, newly married, on a losing team with a direction he doesn't understand.

Canucks claim it was family reasons. They aren't going to say much else. Trymakin says it's frustration with the Canucks and family reasons. A few reporters are saying they saw this developing right from the start of the season but that Trymakin didn't talk much, or make an effort to talk much. One reporter says he had hoped
picking up Goldobin would help. Rumours are that the contract cap and term were not an issue.

We may never know and I have no inside info to offer up a more accurate or complete picture. But it sounds more and more that "family" reasons was part of the problem but certainly, not by a long stretch, the whole problem. The lure of Olympics certainly plays into this. But it appears the bigger issue is Trymakin's perceived treatment by the Canucks was the catalyst. And it was more than coaching because that issue was resolved. This started by the pressure being placed on him to go to Utica and festered all season. Was the pressure warranted or was Trymakin being unrealistic in his expectations and unwilling to earn his roster spot?

Let's hope in two years he's ready to come back. I feel the way I did when Bourdon died. This really sucks.
The only HW the Canucks need

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Damn, Tryamkinsoraus was one of my fave Canucks this past season. It seems like my fave Canucks these days always ends up traded, leaving by free agency or simply doesn't want to play here any more. I really liked his monstrous game and his potential was scary.

I am a bit surprised by this move. At the players' year end interviews, he said he planned to stay with the Canucks and he really seemed to like his teammates. I guess he had to hide his true motives cuz the press probably would have been all over him if he said he was looking @ returning to Russia. Anyways, hopefully he comes back in a year or 2. Maybe once the Olympics are over, he'd look @ coming back. I guess we don't really need him anytime soon anyways as our team is rebuilding. Hopefully he'll come back when our team is treading upwards again and then his contributions to the team would be much more impactful.

Boy, we really have bad luck with our latest Russian imports: Kirill Koltsov, Artem Chubarov and now Tryamkin. I can see why MG stayed away with them.

bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm

I like Tryamkin but I think he is over estimating his ability at this point in time. I think if they can trade his rights and get good value, I would do it. If they can't then you hold on and hope he comes back and that he has improved and matured in his time back home. I am curious how long a contract he signed.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm

bckev wrote:I like Tryamkin but I think he is over estimating his ability at this point in time. I think if they can trade his rights and get good value, I would do it. If they can't then you hold on and hope he comes back and that he has improved and matured in his time back home. I am curious how long a contract he signed.

His rights are worth shit. A fifth or six rounder. Perhaps a conditional pick, if he signs, if he plays x games, that sort of thing. Then maybe a second. But right now he's worth shit in a trade.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Just bad luck I guess. I don't blame Elmer for this as some people are. Willie made an idiotic comment after the Dallas game but that shouldn't have caused this. Probably a lot of factors at play here. Maybe in a few years he has a change of heart. I would be offering E G 12 million over 3 years now though.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks were heavily pursuing Darren Raddysh before Trymakin left, I bet they step that up once his playoffs are done.
Yeah sounds like Raddysh really wants to sign here, that would ease the blow of trams ditching the nhl...for now.

Sbisa can go to Las Vegas still.

Deal Edler or Tanev still to a veteran contender, continue on the rebuild of moving vets for youth/picks/prospects, sign a veteran defensive dman two years.
Where have you heard that Raddyish wants to sign here ?
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks were heavily pursuing Darren Raddysh before Trymakin left, I bet they step that up once his playoffs are done.
Yeah sounds like Raddysh really wants to sign here, that would ease the blow of trams ditching the nhl...for now.

Sbisa can go to Las Vegas still.

Deal Edler or Tanev still to a veteran contender, continue on the rebuild of moving vets for youth/picks/prospects, sign a veteran defensive dman two years.
Where have you heard that Raddyish wants to sign here ?
Ya that was interesting. I've read Vancouver is on his list as he is being heavily pursued but I haven't heard he really wants to sign here. There are a number of teams further along in their development that would offer him a better option, fit and rankings wise I mean.