Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by 5thhorseman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 am

micky107 wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
micky107 wrote:I saw this coming ...
So how come you didn't post anything about it?
I did in regards to how much money he would be seeking in a new contract.
You didn't mention money in our original post. You inferred that you saw Tryamkin's departure coming. And if you go by the reports out there, his discontent has to do with minutes played.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am

5thhorseman wrote:
micky107 wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
micky107 wrote:I saw this coming ...
So how come you didn't post anything about it?
I did in regards to how much money he would be seeking in a new contract.
You didn't mention money in our original post. You inferred that you saw Tryamkin's departure coming. And if you go by the reports out there, his discontent has to do with minutes played.
I don't ride the asses of "reports out there" and believe them because they're on the radio or TV or Google.
Minutes of course was a factor.
Oh, but wait. As I'm posting, Benning just made a generic statement about they are disappointed and it was about family and oh ya, some sort of 2 year offer, NOT DISCLOSED !!!
"evolution"

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

Wonder what part if any the Olympics are playing in this???
You are who you hang with.....

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by theman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

No I didn't see this coming but am not surprised by it. When he didn't speak any English at all in the end of season press conference I wondered how much he enjoyed being here. I wonder if his wife had anything to do with this. Not everyone is good at picking up a new language and if both were struggling to adapt to life in Canada(and the language), I can understand this decision by him.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

Canucks offered a two year extension, don't know the money. Trymankin wanted to leave for family reasons. A lot to do with his new wife having a hard time fitting into North American life. Never saw this coming though. By all accounts he was happy here and wanted to make a go of it in the NHL.

Canucks didn't really have an inclination this was going to happen until his exit interview. Of course they always knew it was a possibility.

This is a gut punch. He was one reason for optimism in the toughness department.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 am

Almost lost in this is that Larsen also returned to the KHL on a two year deal. :mrgreen:

Hope we don't lose Sbisa now in the expansion draft. Maybe the idea of exposing Edler was a good one after all.

You know when you think back and read what Tryamkni has to say, about almost leaving at the start of the year, about being frustrated with his ice time, pairings, role on the team overall, you HAVE to think the Canucks knew this was a strong possibility. This may account for them, in part, not trading a D during the season because even if the fans had him penciled into the top six D the team may have had its doubts.

Can't blame his decision on Willie though as Willie was fired. Meaning a new coach and new opportunities. But a new contract and if he is already feeling no love, would be like a prison sentence. Hope he didn't spread his discontent too much to Goldobin.

Oh well, he was a reluctant Canuck to begin with. They had to really sell him on giving it a try. But man, at 22, even with all that potential, some people just don't want to put in the time. His time in the KHL was easier. He didn't have to work as hard, his training and physical fitness levels can return to normal now.

Gawd this sucks. A bright light of hope diminished on a day one should be celebrating Calgary's exit!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 am

Canucks were heavily pursuing Darren Raddysh before Trymakin left, I bet they step that up once his playoffs are done.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 pm

It's possible more info will be coming this afternoon.

It's easy to cite many things but I'll still be waiting to hear what the 2 year offer was.
I'm going to bet it was identical to that given to Hutton and explained that this is what we offered Ben after his first full year, so this is what we're offering you.
Not even close to good enough, not for a guy with virtually no ceiling and a tremendous fan favorite, but wait!
WE DON'T HAVE THE CAP SPACE.
Horvat was invited to the Worlds but declined because he needed to concentrate on his negotiations with the Canucks.
Still a lot of work to do in signing RFAs and being able to field a team for next year.

Without Eriksson, would we have been worse? What is, or would have been wrong, in keeping 6 million plus in cap space when you are rebuilding a team, "properly".
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks were heavily pursuing Darren Raddysh before Trymakin left, I bet they step that up once his playoffs are done.
Yeah sounds like Raddysh really wants to sign here, that would ease the blow of trams ditching the nhl...for now.

Sbisa can go to Las Vegas still.

Deal Edler or Tanev still to a veteran contender, continue on the rebuild of moving vets for youth/picks/prospects, sign a veteran defensive dman two years.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote:This really pisses me off... he's a fucking baby whiner... oh and thanks twitchy
We will never know the truth. Tryamkin might want to be back home to his wife or language and culture are still a problem for him. Indeed, this is a huge blow to the Canucks defense. Pedan might finally have his chance now.

I wonder Tryamkin has an out clause that he can still sign with the Canucks before the season starts.
As far as I know there is no agreement in place between the KHL and NHL. I believe players can retire from either league and go join the other.....the team they are retiring from simply owns their rights if they return. If ircc the Canucks own Tryamkin's rights until 2022.

This is indeed a kick in the biscuits. There is obviously more to this than just ice time though. If he was pissed about his ice time, and the coach that wouldn't play him has just been shown the door, it makes no sense to depart because you don't think you'll get your playing time.

Either he got a low-ball offer from Jimbo in early talks, or he simply wants to go home. I'm betting the former because h was fairly matter-of-fact the other day about not wanting to go back to the KHL and wanting to play in the NHL.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 pm

To me it seems pretty obvious to keep his hot wifey happy...
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm

To me the offer wasn't good enough. Have to think Gillis would have found a way to keep him around. Sorry to say, I put this one on Benning. This is very disappointing.
We are all Jim Benning.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

I am just speculating, but playing in a winning culture opposed to a rebuild would probably have helped.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Russian factor. Really sucks to lose a quality youngster, but that's the reality when you draft Russians. Dallas in the same boat with Nishchushkinninshinin.

Hard to pin this one on Benning, without knowing what the offer was and how his exit interviews went. If he had problems with the coaching staff, firing Willie should have assuaged any concerns. Although, if Benning/Willie were on the same page it might be a reason for the RIFT.

The Canucks gave him as much as they could, didn't ship him to the minors, gifted him a NHL spot with NHL money. I don't know what he was expecting when it came to ice-time and deployments, but for all his promise he wasn't exactly a Tyler Myers or Zdeno Chara.
Madcombinepilot wrote:I am just speculating, but playing in a winning culture opposed to a rebuild would probably have helped.
:lol: Didn't you know? This IS a #winningculture.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Family issues is a complete lie....
His wife doesn't want to live in Vancouver?? Lies.... look at her Instagram account.... seems pretty happy
and she has no language issues.... at least on the internet

Check out the city of Yekatinburg.... its Winnipeg... and he is not making more money (maybe with our tax laws)

Tryamkin was treated like crap.
Who on the defense has more upside ?? No one....
They should have played him more... The Canucks were going to lose anyway.
Now they have lost another player for NOTHING.... an NHL player!! Not a prospect, not a draft pick.... a player.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill