Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by mr perfect »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm on board with trading one of Edler or Tanev but not both. RHD seems more in demand and could fetch more so couple that with the age factor and Tanev could get a lot more back. He's also easier to move since his NTC does not kick in u till July 1.

Juolevi plays left side and is, in the very least, another full year away from making this team. Perhaps two years, which takes us until the end of Edler's contract.

If we lose Tanev we have Gudbranson, Stetcher and Trymakin who can play right side, as well as reliable fill in Biega.

If we lose Edler we have Hutton, Sbisa and once again Trymakin who can play left side.

We have a little depth in Utica but not high end ready talent. So if we adopt, the team that is, that next year is a rebuild year as well, best money is to trade one of those guys, get a high pick and prospect and move on. But I'd be Leary of trading both. We still need someone to play D.

But my money says if we end up keeping all our D in the expansion draft Ben Hutton maybe the one on the way out.
When it comes to the D, it's time to bite the bullet and move heaven and earth to get Edler out of Vancouver. He is simply not a number 1 d-man and is much better on a second pairing with a more talented team. Move Edler, then this is your pairing on D for the Canucks next season:

Tryamkin-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbransen

Sbisa-Stetcher

Pedan-Biega

Come trade deadline move out Sbisa and use Pedan as the sixth d-man, making room for Juolevi in 2018-2019. If Jordan Subban finally comes around then Biega can be waived. Yes, I'm making the assumption none of the Canucks defence will be taken in the 2017 expansion draft. However, there will be a further expansion for 2019, bet on it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Locker day at the "garage".

Not all players spoke. By memory I think we had, in groups of four:

Dan
Hank
Sutter
Tanev
Hutton
Stetcher
Gudbranson
Miller
Markstrom
Granlund
Dorsett
Trymakin with interpreter
Horvat
Baertschi
Edler
Eriksson

Forget all the foursomes, who was with who.

Nothing earth shattering, they all loved Willie, they are the ones that failed not him. Want a coach that can work with young kids but understands the importance of veteran leadership. Sounds like Willie to me!

Feel they are a better team than the results show.

All vow to be better next year. Twins feel they can bounce back and be 60 point guys next year. Will work hard over the summer and come to camp showing they still can play at this level. Don't care what line they are designated as just want to contribute. Hank wants to get back to the playoffs next season. No other goal will do. He was asked if he'd relinquish the C if asked. He said for sure. That's a coach/management decision and although it is a huge honour to wear the C he really couldn't care less. It's about proving yourself on the ice and leading in the locker room. C or no C he will still be a leader.

All optimistic and excited about the future, great young skill now in the organization.

On injuries:

Tanev suffered a high ankle sprain early in the year that has made it difficult to play. Has a couple of other injuries that hampered him but he uses no excuses and declined to reveal the exact nature of injuries for that reason. Said when you tell the coach you can play and take to the ice you have to play.

Sutter, wrist has really effected him but echoed Tanev, no excuses.

Dorsett, scary injury for sure but he will be ready for camp. Will play at a heavier weight next year, heaviest since he joined the NHL. Rehab has given him a chance to work on strength and getting tougher. Says he only knows one way to play and he will test his neck by taking someone out on his first shift next season.

Gudbranson said he never got a chance to show what he could do. Knows he's better than he showed. Rehab has allowed him to increase his lower body strength and work on skating. Will be bigger,faster more determined next season.

Eriksson distraught over injuries. Frustrating year. He always finds the first year on a new team hard especially for his large family. This year was complicated by the fact it wasn't just a new city but also a new country. Will be better next year, a lot to prove to his teammates.

Markstrom frustrating injury. Rehab went real well then a huge setback and surgery. But he's feeling good and will be ready for camp. No one asked him if he would partake of the wheel barrel race next year.

Stetcher showed up with a great shiner courtesy of the stick he took to the face. Wants to increase his strength.

On contracts:

Horvat, a deal will get done. Not worried about it. Would love a LTC but is ok with a shorter one if that's the way it works out.

Gudbranson would love to finish his career here. Definitely wants a long term deal. Loves the city, loves his teammates. Wants to be one of the leaders. Is fine if he ends up with a one year show me deal. Understands the business/management side but he prefers a LTC. No question a deal will get done either way.

Trymankin. I play here. My contract done. I want stay. I no want KHL. We will see.

On goaltending:

Miller would love to come back. Doesn't like moving from team to team. He feels settled in with the city and his teammates. No serious talks just feeling out period. Kept saying he had to wait until, then pause, then down the road. Got the strong sense he was avoiding saying we have to wait until the expansion draft was over. Sure sounds like all indications are he will be back.

Markstrom was asked if he was ready to be a number one. His response, YES. Full stop. But he also said he'd be fine with Miller coming back and said all the right things. He emphasized that no matter who is goaltending partner is he wants/expects to play more games, that's for sure. He's excited about next season as he sees a bigger role for himself. Can anyone spell GOALTENDING CONTROVERSY?

So they said all the right things. Everyone wants to be here. Oh Edler was asked if he still wanted to be here. He said yes. But little else. They all used variations of the R word. Oh and Hank, when asked about the draft, said unless you are getting a Crosby then it doesn't always work out the way you hope.

So no, no deliberate tank here folks, move along. They all want to compete and make the playoffs, expect the same next year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks Wids...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Yup; Nice read.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

When it comes to the D, it's time to bite the bullet and move heaven and earth to get Edler out of Vancouver. He is simply not a number 1 d-man and is much better on a second pairing with a more talented team
AMEN BRUTHA!!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Thanks Wids.
Trymankin. I play here. My contract done. I want stay. I no want KHL. We will see.
Groot Happy.
Groot Stay.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hockey Widow wrote:
All vow to be better next year. Twins feel they can bounce back and be 60 point guys next year. Will work hard over the summer and come to camp showing they still can play at this level. Don't care what line they are designated as justr.
The twins have said this or something similar in each of the last 2 summers. In reality, they have gotten slower and less effective than the season before. I dont expect next season to be any different. But gawd forbid i say as much. There's a whack of Sedin sentimentalists who dont seem to want to accept what's happening right in front of their eyes. Truth is though, we're so bad, and lacking legitimate top 6, we really don't have the talent or savy players to replace them....yet.
cc oldtimer
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Feel they are a better team than the results show.
I feel they should come up with a better line next year.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BurningBeard wrote:
At least Naslund said "we choked"
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BurningBeard wrote:
But what else would they say?

Didn't expect anything else from antic them, they read the script pefectly.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

nuckster wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
All vow to be better next year. Twins feel they can bounce back and be 60 point guys next year. Will work hard over the summer and come to camp showing they still can play at this level. Don't care what line they are designated as justr.
The twins have said this or something similar in each of the last 2 summers. In reality, they have gotten slower and less effective than the season before. I dont expect next season to be any different. But gawd forbid i say as much. There's a whack of Sedin sentimentalists who dont seem to want to accept what's happening right in front of their eyes. Truth is though, we're so bad, and lacking legitimate top 6, we really don't have the talent or savy players to replace them....yet.
I think they will bounce back as well. This is the first time ever their winger was so bad, he dragged the twins down, instead of the twins lifting him up. Chaput and Megna combined to be the worst wingers ever. worse than Trent Klatt or Anson Carter. If they get to play with Goldie, ot Granlund all of next season, in a 2nd line role, I see them being a positive +/- line, and still be effective as the 2nd PP unit. Not shabby for 37.

Brave prediction here. Megna is exposed, but not taken by Vegas, and he sails into Utica with no-one noticing him on the waiver wire in training camp. He's penciled in as the Canucks 18th forwrd, and never plays another game in the NHL again.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Locker day at the "garage".

Not all players spoke. By memory I think we had, in groups of four:

Dan
Hank
Sutter
Tanev
Hutton
Stetcher
Gudbranson
Miller
Markstrom
Granlund
Dorsett
Trymakin with interpreter
Horvat
Baertschi
Edler
Eriksson

Forget all the foursomes, who was with who.

Nothing earth shattering, they all loved Willie, they are the ones that failed not him. Want a coach that can work with young kids but understands the importance of veteran leadership. Sounds like Willie to me!

Feel they are a better team than the results show.

All vow to be better next year. Twins feel they can bounce back and be 60 point guys next year. Will work hard over the summer and come to camp showing they still can play at this level. Don't care what line they are designated as just want to contribute. Hank wants to get back to the playoffs next season. No other goal will do. He was asked if he'd relinquish the C if asked. He said for sure. That's a coach/management decision and although it is a huge honour to wear the C he really couldn't care less. It's about proving yourself on the ice and leading in the locker room. C or no C he will still be a leader.

All optimistic and excited about the future, great young skill now in the organization.

On injuries:

Tanev suffered a high ankle sprain early in the year that has made it difficult to play. Has a couple of other injuries that hampered him but he uses no excuses and declined to reveal the exact nature of injuries for that reason. Said when you tell the coach you can play and take to the ice you have to play.

Sutter, wrist has really effected him but echoed Tanev, no excuses.

Dorsett, scary injury for sure but he will be ready for camp. Will play at a heavier weight next year, heaviest since he joined the NHL. Rehab has given him a chance to work on strength and getting tougher. Says he only knows one way to play and he will test his neck by taking someone out on his first shift next season.

Gudbranson said he never got a chance to show what he could do. Knows he's better than he showed. Rehab has allowed him to increase his lower body strength and work on skating. Will be bigger,faster more determined next season.

Eriksson distraught over injuries. Frustrating year. He always finds the first year on a new team hard especially for his large family. This year was complicated by the fact it wasn't just a new city but also a new country. Will be better next year, a lot to prove to his teammates.

Markstrom frustrating injury. Rehab went real well then a huge setback and surgery. But he's feeling good and will be ready for camp. No one asked him if he would partake of the wheel barrel race next year.

Stetcher showed up with a great shiner courtesy of the stick he took to the face. Wants to increase his strength.

On contracts:

Horvat, a deal will get done. Not worried about it. Would love a LTC but is ok with a shorter one if that's the way it works out.

Gudbranson would love to finish his career here. Definitely wants a long term deal. Loves the city, loves his teammates. Wants to be one of the leaders. Is fine if he ends up with a one year show me deal. Understands the business/management side but he prefers a LTC. No question a deal will get done either way.

On goaltending:

Miller would love to come back. Doesn't like moving from team to team. He feels settled in with the city and his teammates. No serious talks just feeling out period. Kept saying he had to wait until, then pause, then down the road. Got the strong sense he was avoiding saying we have to wait until the expansion draft was over. Sure sounds like all indications are he will be back.

Markstrom was asked if he was ready to be a number one. His response, YES. Full stop. But he also said he'd be fine with Miller coming back and said all the right things. He emphasized that no matter who is goaltending partner is he wants/expects to play more games, that's for sure. He's excited about next season as he sees a bigger role for himself. Can anyone spell GOALTENDING CONTROVERSY?

So they said all the right things. Everyone wants to be here. Oh Edler was asked if he still wanted to be here. He said yes. But little else. They all used variations of the R word. Oh and Hank, when asked about the draft, said unless you are getting a Crosby then it doesn't always work out the way you hope.

So no, no deliberate tank here folks, move along. They all want to compete and make the playoffs, expect the same next year.
The D will be fine next year with a trade of one of the vets. Edler isn't going anywhere given his contract, but Tanev has value and there are enough RHD to cover him should he leave. I don't see the team being better without him but for a good young player and a pick/prospect it makes sense. Serviceable RHD on good contracts are impossible to find so he will return a lot from a team like the leaves, Stars or somebody else desperate for D.

That leaves:

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Gudbranson
Juolevi (or FA if he isn't ready)-Tryamkin

Not world beating but it's enough for a rebuilding team. Cover would include Biega, Subban, McEneny, Chatfield, Brisebois, etc - lots of young guys to choose from in Utica next year. I assume Sbisa will be taken but if not he will likely be on the team over Juolevi, barring OJ having a great camp and gaining 10 pounds of muscle.

Forwards are still a work in progress - both high end scoring and depth are needed. Some decent long term pieces in Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Granlund and some solid young talent in Goldy, Dahlen, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lockwood. Hopefully at least a couple of the prospects become top 6 guys to go along with Bo, Bae and Boeser who I think Are either already there or close to with some seasoning. 2-3 more top young forwards are needed, one likely coming from this draft and perhaps one other kid develops enough.

The vets are ok in Daniel and Hank, Eriksson (can't be worse next year, can he?), Sutter (see Eriksson), Edler. That's enough to teach what you need to teach.

Pick a top line forward this year, pick a top 2 Dman next year, hopefully some more development from the guys already there and you have the makings of a contender in a few years. It's just going to be a couple more years of this feeding frenzy for the media so relax and get ready for it. They may want to make the playoffs buy barring an everything goes right season it's not happening for a while.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^

You forgot Dorsett!
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Reefer2 wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
But what else would they say?

Didn't expect anything else from antic them, they read the script pefectly.
Anything besides that. That's not even an excuse, it's literally telling people to ignore the stats. That's such a tied line, and they've used it more then once before. I would be happy with the cliched:

"We did not live up to our own expectations, but we have a lot of youth, and a lot to build on."
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^

You forgot Dorsett!
I actually didn't forget him, I'm just not sure what basket he should be in. He's an ok 4th liner that seems to be well liked so I don't have an issue with him as part of the leadership group, I just question how effective he is in that role and whether or not he's good enough to be here longer term.