Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

CrzyCanuck wrote:
SKYO wrote:Eriksson best bet to revive himself to a far away time like last year when he had Krejci to work with

Eriksson's best lines he was on in Dallas and in Boston.

Neal - B. Richards - Eriksson

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
I thought the whole purpose of getting Eriksson was that he can create something by himself. I do remember hearing this compliment from Linden when we signed Eriksson.
I thought the purpose of Eriksson was to plug him with the Sedins, so they could rack up the points together. :P

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:26 pm

micky107 wrote: Those are pretty nice stats. 81 penalty minutes?
This could be something!!
Nice work, boss :)
Yeah, I wouldn't get so excited about an oversized over-ager smashing the piss out of children 30+ pounds lighter than him. He's a month older than Jake.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't get so excited about an oversized over-ager smashing the piss out of children 30+ pounds lighter than him. He's a month older than Jake.
Understood, but t good for Utica and 4 th line injury call ups, at least he is not a smurf...
Getting old is not for the young...

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:48 pm

rats19 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Understood, but t good for Utica and 4 th line injury call ups, at least he is not a smurf...
For sure, it's a risk-free signing.

VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't mind the signing, although not everyone agrees.
http://canucksarmy.com/2017/3/3/canucks ... ck-macewen
Every situation is different and it would be great if he actually is just a late bloomer.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 pm

They conveniently leave out that there are expiring contracts too. Not just our FA Miller but the Skille's of the world and a handful of others both on Vancouver and in Utica. The whole thought process for being against this signing seems to be it takes us to 46 out of 50 contracts. Let's not forget we'll lose one contract in expansion too.

I have no idea if this kid will ever see the NHL but so many bemoan the fact that we are too small, weaklings. All we need is one or two of them to become 4th liners to give us some added size. Not an earth shattering move. Nothing to get excited about. But nor is it anything worth sounding a death knoll about.

It seems to be Benning bashing for the sake of Benning bashing.

Here was their final thoughts on the Stetcher signing by the way:

"Past players that meet the threshold of statistical similarity with Stecher have gone on to forge careers as NHL regulars about 8.8 per cent of the time - not an overly impressive number, but college free agents are a bit of a crap shoot anyways. Stecher certainly isn't a guaranteed NHLer, but he's a nice add that costs absolutely nothing. Regardless of his eventual level of success, he's found money right now."
The only HW the Canucks need

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:They conveniently leave out that there are expiring contracts too. Not just our FA Miller but the Skille's of the world and a handful of others both on Vancouver and in Utica. The whole thought process for being against this signing seems to be it takes us to 46 out of 50 contracts. Let's not forget we'll lose one contract in expansion too.

I have no idea if this kid will ever see the NHL but so many bemoan the fact that we are too small, weaklings. All we need is one or two of them to become 4th liners to give us some added size. Not an earth shattering move. Nothing to get excited about. But nor is it anything worth sounding a death knoll about.

It seems to be Benning bashing for the sake of Benning bashing.

Agree 100%. The moron bloggers of CA strike again. They actually chastise Benning for 'wasting' a contract. The points HW presents point out just how moronic those bloggers can be. I wonder what these guys would've said about Alex Burrows when he got called up from the AHL and dressed as a Canuck for the first time. That article is a very large indictment against the hockey IQ of that CA blogger...and I thought he was one of the better ones there (which isn't saying much).

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/garret ... -287510874

I know its garret but still good read
Getting old is not for the young...

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:Eriksson best bet to revive himself to a far away time like last year when he had Krejci to work with
Eriksson's best lines he was on in Dallas and in Boston.

Neal - B. Richards - Eriksson
Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
I thought the purpose of Eriksson was to plug him with the Sedins, so they could rack up the points together. :P
Twas the thought, but the mistake was they were good together in the bigger euro ice, no grinders really over there. On this ice and North American type of play they are not great together, the Sedins always played best with a RW that can bash about in the boards creating havoc and being able to hover around the net to shoot in tape to tape passes.

Whereas Eriksson has shown in his history he plays best with a playmaking center to give and go with, along with a grinder LW who has some size. So with that this trio is not a match made in heaven everyone thought it was going to be. Plus add in the fact the other centers we have are not natural playmakers either and it's a recipe for Eriksson to fail.

rats19 wrote:https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/garret ... -287510874

I know its garret but still good read
You do not want to be on a 10-year rebuild. You want to have assets that you can turn into the new core of a team on the rise. There are pieces in place in Vancouver that give hope for the future. Bo Horvat is taking a leadership role at 21. Troy Stecher has proven he can play top four minutes and he is 22. Nikita Tryamkin is 22 and Chris Tanev and Luca Sbisa are only 26. You can use whatever word you want to describe the evolution of the new era in Canuck hockey, but patience is a virtue and it will be worth it.
Makes some good points and I'm glad we were able to move out a couple vets for youth, I think we can further do that this offseason.

Team still needs another young top 6 center/playmaker ASAP, we could accomplish that the draft or college UFA or trade.

And as always trying to get a young power LW.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm

SKYO wrote: the Sedins always played best with a RW that can bash about in the boards creating havoc and being able to hover around the net to shoot in tape to tape passes.
True, we had the perfect guy there in my Kassassian. He had some great games there with the twins. Too bad he had his off ice issues. :cry:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:52 pm

What Lee Chin, Irish hurler, has to say about his experience with the Canucks:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl ... ight-a-lot

Mr. Linden of course was less than impressed :mrgreen:

This whole "change up" thing I just can't imagine Benning ordering one. Or WD going along with it. Perhaps players were regale him with stories from the past. Or he read a book somewhere.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 pm

“And they have this thing called a ‘change up’, when a player is not on form, not scoring,” Chin continued, candidly. “The manager will call a ‘change up’, and basically that player has to go out and ruin himself for the night, then come back the next day, with the attitude of you just don’t care.

“So they send him out, drink 20 pints, go off with a couple of women, whatever he wants. And come back the next day. That’s the way they live. It’s the culture, what they believe in, letting off steam like that. I don’t know if they look at the science behind it.”
:lol: :lol: no wonder some players look uninspired. ayyye jk
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:08 pm

The name and attitude sure don't sound Irish. :hmmm:
"evolution"

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm going to guess there's a few players laughing their asses off today as that article came out - Trevor just shakes his head... "You bastards... he BELIEVED that shit!! - now I have to answer for it!" :D
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Canucks need to target Chin for slander like Burke did to ...