Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Iceman2014 »

RoyalDude wrote:Rank the top 30 players now from Virtanens draft class

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Larkin
4. Fabbri
5. Nylander
6. Ehlers
7. Bennett
8. Draisaitl
9. Pastrnak
10. Ritchie
11. Point
12. Deangelo
13. Tryamkin
14. Demko
15. Sanheim
16. Dvorak
17. Forsling
18. Schmaltz
19. Scherbak
20. Fleury
21. Kapanen
22. McCann
23. Honka
24. Tuch
25. Fiala
26. Lemiuex
27. Barbeshev
28. Quenville
29. Goldobin
30. Milano

Way, way too soon for this. Players develop at different rates. You have to give it at least a few years before you see what a player will become. Look at most superstars and check out their first few seasons. Most of them didn't put up insane point totals until later. Some started off big.

I think people need to put the Virtanen issue on the backburner and see what he becomes down the road. Right now it's all about development.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:He didn't make the team on merit.

The Nuck brass felt that the Hitmen environment was not a good environment for him as their were questions about how he was being handled. He wasn't getting 1st line time and first unit PP time. Tambellini was the star there. Regardless they should have left him in Calgary. There were always questions about Virtanen's head space and attitude and we are seeing that right now. He's very immature. Horvat looks like a wise old sage compared to him and they are only 1 year apart. He's just not taking it serious enough, the whole bad practice habits etc.

All kidding aside I'd put Jake between 15th and 20th of his draft class
To be fair Virtanen was murdering dudes left and right in last years preseason, he made the team on merit then.
But this offseason the team put Virtanen's face on everything from charities and social media, then him with his party pal Bieber etc aha, making him think he was a superstar, he probably lost focus on building strength, got lazy, stopped hitting, stopped working hard every practice/shift, now he forced himself into the AHL where he isn't playing any better.

Like other high picks who got too big for their britches the need to be taken down a notch, make em remember they gotta work 24/7 at this.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rats19 wrote:Icy, twice now you've lumped the members into your rant as if they are all in total agreement , please only speak for yourself.

Rats
I will step off of the little guy rats. The other members of the board don't want to read this shit.
How good of you to admit defeat :) You never had a chance.
I've wiped my ass with guys like you. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:

The Nuck brass felt that the Hitmen environment was not a good environment for him as their were questions about how he was being handled. He wasn't getting 1st line time and first unit PP time. Tambellini was the star there. Regardless they should have left him in Calgary. There were always questions about Virtanen's head space and attitude and we are seeing that right now. He's very immature. Horvat looks like a wise old sage compared to him and they are only 1 year apart. He's just not taking it serious enough, the whole bad practice habits etc.

Provide proof that there was concern about Virtanen, a link of reputable source.

If not then this is typical RD BS.
There are a lot of rumblings about Jake and his attitude. Much like Hodgson and his dad's interference!

I personally know someone who is familiar with the family and have heard a few things. One that can be substantiated by the rumours this offseason is that he came into camp well out of shape, he didn't ahere to the Canucks offseason training regime laid out for him. Apparently papa Virtanen had a different program for him.

His comments about linemates and icetime leave a lot to be desired as well.

I was a huge Jake fan and if you go through some of my posts after his drafting you would see that. What I've heard has changed my opinion of him. I hope being sent to Utica is a wake up call and he turns things around because he's exactly what this team needs. If he's willing to put in the time and effort and be a professional!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote:
There are a lot of rumblings about Jake and his attitude. Much like Hodgson and his dad's interference!

I personally know someone who is familiar with the family and have heard a few things. One that can be substantiated by the rumours this offseason is that he came into camp well out of shape, he didn't ahere to the Canucks offseason training regime laid out for him. Apparently papa Virtanen had a different program for him.

I was a huge Jake fan and if you go through some of my posts after his drafting you would see that. What I've heard has changed my opinion of him. I hope being sent to Utica is a wake up call and he turns things around because he's exactly what this team needs. If he's willing to put in the time and effort and be a professional!
Typically, power forwards take longer to develop than other forwards. Hopefully, Virtanen can mature soon enough.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:

Provide proof that there was concern about Virtanen, a link of reputable source.

If not then this is typical RD BS.

You know what; Maybe all these rumors about the Canucks thinking of dweebies like Kane, might just be the fuel that fires up Jake Virtanen, "in the right way".
"evolution"
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rats19 wrote:Icy, twice now you've lumped the members into your rant as if they are all in total agreement , please only speak for yourself.

Rats
I will step off of the little guy rats. The other members of the board don't want to read this shit.
How good of you to admit defeat :) You never had a chance.
I've wiped my ass with guys like you. :lol:
Fantasy, imagination and role play don't really count. Again, you're pretty tough back there behind your monitor. I know all internet tough guys are pretty bad-ass like you. They like to spew old wrestling lines and various cliches we've heard for decades. I am pretty sure the only thing you've wiped your ass with is your mom's hand and maybe toilet paper. Don't you ever get tired of being an idiot? Just wondering :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Get a room you guys - this is a hockey thread. Just 'cause our team sucks right now, doesn't mean that every thread does.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Until this team trades Edler they will never move forward.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:Until this team trades Edler they will never move forward.
One would almost think that you like Edler even less than I do.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

He is pretty bad...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

He is just fine partnered with anyone named Chris. Tanev or Ehrhoff seemed to be players he could click with and hide the obvious flaws in his game.

What we really need to do is trade for or draft a right side D Man named Chris. Then pair him with Edler.

Gotta mix up the D IMO

Edler Guddy
Sbisa Hutton
Tryamkin Stecher
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:He is just fine partnered with anyone named Chris. Tanev or Ehrhoff seemed to be players he could click with and hide the obvious flaws in his game.

What we really need to do is trade for or draft a right side D Man named Chris. Then pair him with Edler.

Gotta mix up the D IMO

Edler Guddy
Sbisa Hutton
Tryamkin Stecher
The thing is, when Tanev comes back and if the D stays healthy, we will be over stocked.
At this point, it would not go over well to send Stecher to the minors. Not to the fans, not to the ownwer an by the looks of things, not to the coach.
Not to me either.
Do we have a revolving press box assignment?
Which reminds me: It's almost at the quarter. If Biega is the sacrificial lamb to the expansion draft, when will he get the odd game; So I will ask some of the people here, that can decipher in detail these poorly written ED rules better than I.
When Biega plays, does it have to be on D? Can it be one shift? The whole game?
Or is it enough that he is listed as a defenseman?
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The added duty of baby sitting is too much for him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.