Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:38 pm

micky107 wrote: They take too much ice time.
They take too much PP time.
From who?
They can't skate fast enough anymore.
What they do, (and have done for so long), is a unique, uncanny, sense of where your brother is.
I Don't know how much luck there is in trying to teach that.
What about how to play 679 straight games, and over 1,100 in the league? What is it like to lead the league in scoring, or even get to a Stanley Cup final? What about being top-3 picks in a market that consistently demands too much? Something tells me we might have one or two of them in the coming years...

I suppose you'd rather go the Oilers route and have Jake and Bo teaching our future lottery-picks what it's like to be an NHLer like Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano. Maybe Brandon Sutter can talk about being traded by the same guy twice, and Sven can talk about being a first round disappointment.

Seriously, the Canucks roster right now looks like the island of misfit toys and you want to trade the two bonafide hall of famers away because you think they have nothing to offer the youth? wow...

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:55 pm

I love the Oiler reference, I was wondering when someone would use it. The Oilers went that route because of lack of a plan not because of a couple of vets retiring. Then throw in a really stupid GM that has more SC rings than anyone else and end it with a meddling owners worse than the Aquas.

The Oilers probably the worse reference you can use.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:35 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:... make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins.
Holy fucking Jesus Christ goddamit, are we still thinking about that possibility? There's more chance of Reefer's fish rising from the dead.
*takes off hat* :(

They're in a better place now...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for me I'm breathing just fine thanks. I'm also laughing at this dog and pony show like I haven't in almost twenty years.
Be careful Blob, it almost sounds like you don't care about the team. ;)
I'll always care. I wouldn't post here if I didn't. I'm just not a blind Benning fanboy like a few others around here.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: [Sedin talk]
You forgot that by Jan/Feb the Canucks will finally have their first 1000 point player in Henrik, and if not by the end of this season, they'll have their 2nd around this time next year.

If the team ever gets a 3rd we probably don't see it in the next 20 or even 30 years.

Enjoy the ride, two class acts that have done nothing but good for the organization and this city all while taking shit from the media, players and fans from around the NHL for their entire careers.

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!

Benning needs to look at adding his future #1 centre and another top 6 forward. His trade chips could be Hansen, Tanev, draft picks and maybe even Gudranson and Hutton. It all depends on the return. Next year they really need to move the Sedins at the deadline so they can make a run in their final season.

Canucks are dealing with tons of negativity and that's what happens when you struggle. Hopefully Benning makes the smart play and doesn't cave into any dumb demands made by ownership.
Hey Mongo. The post was mostly in jest , but I guess you're too stupid to figure that out. It's pretty clear the coach can't stand Virtanen and the team hasn't got a fucking clue how to develop him. He should be playing in the AHL for the foreseeable future but the retarded management group here can't see that. The point is if the coach doesn't want him and the manager is too dumb to develop him properly ,get rid of him before he's completely worthless.You're about as sharp as a beachball.

I'd think of dealing Gudbranson for him though.
Hey, shit for brains, if I wanted comedy, I'd go to a comedy club and so on. And yes, you are too stupid to realize what's going on with Virtanen. I have no idea where 'hate' comes into play. Virtanen isn't practicing hard or playing hard every shift. Willie isn't handing out ice time to guys that don't prepare and practice hard and develop good habits. Mismanaged him? Maybe. More like Benning pushed for him to succeed and the entitled kid never got on board with the program. Glad I could help you out, you fucking moron. :D

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:21 pm

I agree Blob, Gudbranson has been very disappointing to date and how many stay at home crease clearers does an team need, especially one who is not pulling his weight.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Topper wrote:I agree Blob, Gudbranson has been very disappointing to date and how many stay at home crease clearers does an team need, especially one who is not pulling his weight.
Are you suggesting Gudbranson is less-than STALWART? :hmmm:

Butt seriously, speaking of whooping boys on defense, Hutton has been beyond horrible this year.

*kicks Hutton hard*

But I'm sure Hutton will be stellar in 2-3 years time, and that's all that matters amirite?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 pm

I said when we got him that Gudbranson was a minor upgrade on Sbisa. It could be his lack of chemistry thus far with Hutton holding them both back but I thought Sbisa has looked better that Gud so far.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Iceman2014 wrote:
Hey, shit for brains, if I wanted comedy, I'd go to a comedy club and so on. And yes, you are too stupid to realize what's going on with Virtanen. I have no idea where 'hate' comes into play. Virtanen isn't practicing hard or playing hard every shift. Willie isn't handing out ice time to guys that don't prepare and practice hard and develop good habits. Mismanaged him? Maybe. More like Benning pushed for him to succeed and the entitled kid never got on board with the program. Glad I could help you out, you fucking moron. :D

I'll indulge the board retard even though I hate picking on retards. What is going on with Virtanen ? Pray tell Icehead. So it's normal to jerk a 20 year old recent top pick around , sporadically dress him while barely playing him when he does dress.... But I'm too stupid to see what's going on, yeah ok mouth breather . Hate is a strong word , kinda like retard but that one definitely fits in your case. Desjardins has been less than complimentary with this player dating back to last season all the while tossing bouquets to the likes of Etem and Vey.

You haven't helped me out at all. I now feel a little bit bad picking on such a dumb little guy like yourself. Notice I only said a little bit bad. Now go shave your girlfriends back and get off your parents computer. It's a school night and that short bus will be in front of mom and dads trailer before you know it. Fucking inbread.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:00 pm

I am not sure if this is sad or good news, should we cry or jump for joy?

So the Canucks tried to go out and get a scorer, traded a few draft picks to get players like Gud.

Sign guys like Sutter long term.

Canucks sits 29th in the league with a 20 goal difference, have never lead for a full game, have been held scoreless for 3 or 4 games.

How bad would they be if they tried to tank this year???

And we hear a rumour, not sure who from, that the owners are think about making trades to still make the playoffs. Seriously if they do that I would stop watching this team altogether or until they get new owners because it will be a complete waste of time. And for the love of God, please don't talk to me about a winning culture or comparing the team to the Oilers.

5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by 5thhorseman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
5thhorseman wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for me I'm breathing just fine thanks. I'm also laughing at this dog and pony show like I haven't in almost twenty years.
Be careful Blob, it almost sounds like you don't care about the team. ;)
I'll always care. I wouldn't post here if I didn't. I'm just not a blind Benning fanboy like a few others around here.
Hey, I know you do Blob. It's just that your responses are so damned serious too much of the time!

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Serious? Seriously ? Lol

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:31 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
micky107 wrote: They take too much ice time.
They take too much PP time.
From who?
They can't skate fast enough anymore.
What they do, (and have done for so long), is a unique, uncanny, sense of where your brother is.
I Don't know how much luck there is in trying to teach that.
What about how to play 679 straight games, and over 1,100 in the league? What is it like to lead the league in scoring, or even get to a Stanley Cup final? What about being top-3 picks in a market that consistently demands too much? Something tells me we might have one or two of them in the coming years...

I suppose you'd rather go the Oilers route and have Jake and Bo teaching our future lottery-picks what it's like to be an NHLer like Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano. Maybe Brandon Sutter can talk about being traded by the same guy twice, and Sven can talk about being a first round disappointment.

Seriously, the Canucks roster right now looks like the island of misfit toys and you want to trade the two bonafide hall of famers away because you think they have nothing to offer the youth? wow...
From who? Nobody, cause we are never going to find out! are we?
I am not dismissing their wonderful accomplishments with this team, not the point anyways.
If we are going to put words in each other's mouths then I guess I'll say they will be great mentors for the next
"set of twins with marvelous hockey skills", we draft, eh!
I never said FA about going an Oiler's route. If I had wanted to then ( I SUPPOSE ), I would have, Gees!

My whole point is we have to get along without what they "use to be" and nobody, including them it seems, is willing to do that. Now if they could take on secondary roles, and by that I mean less ice time, less PP time,
less doing interviews, (a lot less). It means not being the face of the franchise any more.
I'm not sure that's possible. I still have to bring up the money too.

I am at a loss as to what the hell everyone, everywhere is saying that the Canucks need a complete rebuild.
I haven't heard anything yet that isn't a Band-Aid.

Sunsets can be beautiful to watch but once that sun sinks below the horizon, it gets dark damn fast..
"evolution"

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:18 am

micky107 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
micky107 wrote: Seriously, the Canucks roster right now looks like the island of misfit toys and you want to trade the two bonafide hall of famers away because you think they have nothing to offer the youth? wow...
I am not dismissing their wonderful accomplishments with this team, not the point anyways.
If we are going to put words in each other's mouths then I guess I'll say they will be great mentors for the next "set of twins with marvelous hockey skills", we draft, eh!
Talking about these guys?
A skilled offensive player. Has great chemistry with his twin-brother Ponthus. Good hockey sense and is the more noticeable goal scorer of the the two. Passing and shooting game is good and so is his puckhandling. Cycles the puck often with his brother. The question has been raised if he can be a productive player without his twin.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13146
Although quite similar to his twin-brother Pathrik, Ponthus usually is the one that sets up the plays. Fine offensive awareness and playmaking ability. Nice hands and protects the puck well, while cycling away with his brother.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13147
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.