Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Iceman2014 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!

Benning needs to look at adding his future #1 centre and another top 6 forward. His trade chips could be Hansen, Tanev, draft picks and maybe even Gudranson and Hutton. It all depends on the return. Next year they really need to move the Sedins at the deadline so they can make a run in their final season.

Canucks are dealing with tons of negativity and that's what happens when you struggle. Hopefully Benning makes the smart play and doesn't cave into any dumb demands made by ownership.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote:... make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins.
Holy fucking Jesus Christ goddamit, are we still thinking about that possibility? There's more chance of Reefer's fish rising from the dead.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is now getting close to the danger zone where the vultures will be starting to circle overhead and I'm sure they have plenty of wonderful ideas for Jim, yeah, right.
Problem is, not only do they have Jim's number but they may well have the owner's too.
Not a good time for different agendas and that's for sure.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!
Agreed. However, Evander scored 20Gs last season, but I'd still be wary to trade for him right now, unless he's like dirt cheap. Plus, he'll be a UFA in 2 seasons, we can just look at signing him then.

I think we clearly mishandled Jake and he should have been sent back to juniors last season. Right now, if he's a healthy scratch most nites and is not getting decent minutes here, we should just keep him in Utica until he changes his attitude, gets some confidence, get a chance to properly develop his game and rack up some points down there. Honestly right now, I'm not sure he'll even be a dominant player/big goal scorer @ the AHL lvl.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The AHL level is no cake walk, it's hard, really hard.
The goaltending is excellent, it's hard hitting as hell, (lots of anger) and it's well coached in most cases.
Look at Jensen. He couldn't do much at that level at all.
If Jake could show something there, it would mean he tried hard and maybe that's what folks want to see from him?
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Iceman2014 wrote:

Benning needs to look at adding his future #1 centre and another top 6 forward. His trade chips could be Hansen, Tanev, draft picks and maybe even Gudranson and Hutton. It all depends on the return. Next year they really need to move the Sedins at the deadline so they can make a run in their final season.

Canucks are dealing with tons of negativity and that's what happens when you struggle. Hopefully Benning makes the smart play and doesn't cave into any dumb demands made by ownership.
Hey Mongo. The post was mostly in jest , but I guess you're too stupid to figure that out. It's pretty clear the coach can't stand Virtanen and the team hasn't got a fucking clue how to develop him. He should be playing in the AHL for the foreseeable future but the retarded management group here can't see that. The point is if the coach doesn't want him and the manager is too dumb to develop him properly ,get rid of him before he's completely worthless.You're about as sharp as a beachball.

I'd think of dealing Gudbranson for him though.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think there are cracks developing in management about the best way forward. Linden is still very much on the slow approach of developing while staying competitive but he is hearing voices that want to trade out of the problems and be a playoff team. No one advocating a final tear down, tank, rebilud approach. Seems the friction that is starting to show is between staying the course and the old school make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins. This seems to be coming from ownership. Haven't heard where Benning stands on this. But it seems that our owners may be a bit impaitient. They have no stomach for a traditional rebuild and have run out of paitince with the transition while staying competitive model. I wonder if this is where the Linden rumours started from.
Trading Tanev for Landeskog allows us to lose games 4-2 instead of 2-1.

Is this what Doc's "2-3 years" is all about? Another 2-3 years of ownership lying to themselves before they realize a full rebuild is in order.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Seeing Gudbranson not clearing out smaller guys like Pirri in front of the net on the Rangers 3rd goal was pretty dismaying. It was supposed to be his primary contribution - "you have one job!" but both Rangers stood there, unbothered, and Pirri was able to score. If they could move Gudbranson that would be great, esp. with other young D moving up. But I doubt management will want to cut bait on this supposed top 4 acquisition. They need to keep losing so a rebuild and grabbing draft picks like their mini-snickers on Halloween becomes the only possible option left.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Boston Canucker wrote:Seeing Gudbranson not clearing out smaller guys like Pirri in front of the net on the Rangers 3rd goal was pretty dismaying. It was supposed to be his primary contribution - "you have one job!" but both Rangers stood there, unbothered, and Pirri was able to score. If they could move Gudbranson that would be great, esp. with other young D moving up. But I doubt management will want to cut bait on this supposed top 4 acquisition. They need to keep losing so a rebuild and grabbing draft picks like their mini-snickers on Halloween becomes the only possible option left.
Unfortunately they keep trading those picks. Benning has traded what, 4 2nd rounders since he started? Vey deal, Gudbranson, Baertschi, Sutter deal. Also traded picks for Dorsett, Pedan, threw in one with Kassian, traded one for Larsen. He loves trading picks so hopefully he won't this year given how bad this team is.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pretty clear that everyone is all in for a complete rebuild and the sooner the better.
Tear it down, rip it up, you hear it everywhere.

Just to be completely clear, step # 1 to that means "no more Sedins". Not when their contracts are up, but now!
Anything short of that is still just pissing in the wind, isn't it?
Just saying...
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Everyone is all in for a rebuild except the idiot owners. No GM has ever convinced them to consider a rebuild. You think that will change? The Aquas are not hockey people.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: Just to be completely clear, step # 1 to that means "no more Sedins". Not when their contracts are up, but now!
Anything short of that is still just pissing in the wind, isn't it?
Just saying...
Why? We're in the basement with them... Nothing wrong with keeping them around to mentor the next couple top-3 picks. Anyways, you're not going to get many takers for them and their contracts and they aren't likely to waive. Guys like Hansen and Edler should by candidates to move, reasonable cap hits and won't be around by the time we're competing again anyways.

Also saw that Virtanen was assigned to Utica again today. The way they are managing this kid is laughable, unless they only brought him back up to boost his paycheck for the days he's with the Canucks.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone is all in for a rebuild except the idiot owners. No GM has ever convinced them to consider a rebuild. You think that will change? The Aquas are not hockey people.
The sorry state of this team is entirely the fault of the owners. It appears they don't want strong hockey men in charge...they want yes men. The prefer hiring management with no experience who will do their bidding. First Gillis and co and now Benning and Linden. Zero experience running a team and you get what you pay for.

The decision to not rebuild was made when they gave the Sedins' their 4 year contracts. How do you rebuild when you have two stars making $14 million? Now those contracts are holding the team back and rather than admit those contracts were a mistake they are now piling up more mistakes (Ericksson contract) in a feeble attempt to "make the playoffs". Pathetic.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Also saw that Virtanen was assigned to Utica again today. The way they are managing this kid is laughable, unless they only brought him back up to boost his paycheck for the days he's with the Canucks.

LOL it's the blind leading the blind. If nothing else Elmer and the guys have me in fucking hysterics. These men truly are funny individuals. You can't even make this shit up. I guess the Aquilinis enjoy their team being the laughing stock of the league.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What mentoring would the Sedins do?

How to take a punch vs standing up for yourself?

What about all the issues with vets and young guys, what happened there, some vets didn't like the attitude of the young guys? Leadership is needed there and sure the Sedins would be the type to do that.

The Sedins were great, almost won us a cup but it is time to move on.