Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:02 am

Pride, Hustle, and Desire. Dark days for sure.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Canucks have revisited a couple of deals they had discussed over the summer to add a top six score, preferablely RW. One of those is the Evander Kane deal. Virtanen apparently now being considered a piece that can be moved but Buffalo is insistent that a top four, or top four potential D man comes back. Buffalo is believed to be looking for a RD.

Colorado wants LD as a start in the Landeskog deal.

Kane may be cheaper.

Virtanen still a healthy scratch after his recall from Utica. I wonder why they feel practicing with the Canucks is better for his development than playing top six minutes in Utica would be. I am hearing that Virtanen IS NOT on the trade block and is not yet being offered up in any deals. But, a big but, he has moved from no way do we trade him to some now being willing to consider moving him in the right deal. No unity of purpose I guess :mrgreen:

I think there are cracks developing in management about the best way forward. Linden is still very much on the slow approach of developing while staying competitive but he is hearing voices that want to trade out of the problems and be a playoff team. No one advocating a final tear down, tank, rebilud approach. Seems the friction that is starting to show is between staying the course and the old school make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins. This seems to be coming from ownership. Haven't heard where Benning stands on this. But it seems that our owners may be a bit impaitient. They have no stomach for a traditional rebuild and have run out of paitince with the transition while staying competitive model. I wonder if this is where the Linden rumours started from.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by micky107 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm

It's hard to figure out what is happening with Jake.
Many young player's attitudes need a lot of work but this just will not go away.
If I had to take a wild shot in the dark, maybe that "rift" between vets and youth last year was a lot more damaging then we thought. I just kind of blew it off as team growing pains but maybe Jake was directly involved with one or both of the Sedins, (like a dressing room shouting match) or something like that and maybe it was too much for the kid and he can't get over it.
"evolution"

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 pm

micky107 wrote:It's hard to figure out what is happening with Jake.
Many young player's attitudes need a lot of work but this just will not go away.
If I had to take a wild shot in the dark, maybe that "rift" between vets and youth last year was a lot more damaging then we thought. I just kind of blew it off as team growing pains but maybe Jake was directly involved with one or both of the Sedins, (like a dressing room shouting match) or something like that and maybe it was too much for the kid and he can't get over it.

He should have started the season in Utica but in any event he should be there working his way back. Unless they are considering trading him and want to get him protected minutes. But I'm hearing he is not on the trade block so I don't know. With Rodin now listed as day to day it could come to a head soon. Canucks want to see what they have in Rodin before making a bigger move.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 9730
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:29 pm

If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Iceman2014 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:23 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!

Benning needs to look at adding his future #1 centre and another top 6 forward. His trade chips could be Hansen, Tanev, draft picks and maybe even Gudranson and Hutton. It all depends on the return. Next year they really need to move the Sedins at the deadline so they can make a run in their final season.

Canucks are dealing with tons of negativity and that's what happens when you struggle. Hopefully Benning makes the smart play and doesn't cave into any dumb demands made by ownership.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by 5thhorseman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:31 am

Hockey Widow wrote:... make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins.
Holy fucking Jesus Christ goddamit, are we still thinking about that possibility? There's more chance of Reefer's fish rising from the dead.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am

This is now getting close to the danger zone where the vultures will be starting to circle overhead and I'm sure they have plenty of wonderful ideas for Jim, yeah, right.
Problem is, not only do they have Jim's number but they may well have the owner's too.
Not a good time for different agendas and that's for sure.
"evolution"

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:29 am

Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!
Agreed. However, Evander scored 20Gs last season, but I'd still be wary to trade for him right now, unless he's like dirt cheap. Plus, he'll be a UFA in 2 seasons, we can just look at signing him then.

I think we clearly mishandled Jake and he should have been sent back to juniors last season. Right now, if he's a healthy scratch most nites and is not getting decent minutes here, we should just keep him in Utica until he changes his attitude, gets some confidence, get a chance to properly develop his game and rack up some points down there. Honestly right now, I'm not sure he'll even be a dominant player/big goal scorer @ the AHL lvl.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 am

The AHL level is no cake walk, it's hard, really hard.
The goaltending is excellent, it's hard hitting as hell, (lots of anger) and it's well coached in most cases.
Look at Jensen. He couldn't do much at that level at all.
If Jake could show something there, it would mean he tried hard and maybe that's what folks want to see from him?
"evolution"

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 9730
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 am

Iceman2014 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If the team is married to Desjardins and Elmer , then ditch Virtanen for Kane. Add in Sbisa to make the dollars work and be done with it. Maybe Buffalo adds a pick or a prospect. Jake is done here.... keep moving. Hopefully Elmer and company is gassed wirthin a year or two. Fuck it's too bad these greaseballs own the team. I'd take Toigo or Ryan Beedie in a hearbeat over the mafia

Possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Wow. Virtanen done is he? Right. At 20. We might as well deal him for Buffalo's 7th round pick and call it even. Wtf.

If Benning is looking at E. Kane then it better be a buy-low situation. That guy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 5 years. He gets hurt a lot and is one of the biggest cancers in the NHL. Oh yeah, I'm giving up a pile for that guy! Fuck that noise!

Benning needs to look at adding his future #1 centre and another top 6 forward. His trade chips could be Hansen, Tanev, draft picks and maybe even Gudranson and Hutton. It all depends on the return. Next year they really need to move the Sedins at the deadline so they can make a run in their final season.

Canucks are dealing with tons of negativity and that's what happens when you struggle. Hopefully Benning makes the smart play and doesn't cave into any dumb demands made by ownership.
Hey Mongo. The post was mostly in jest , but I guess you're too stupid to figure that out. It's pretty clear the coach can't stand Virtanen and the team hasn't got a fucking clue how to develop him. He should be playing in the AHL for the foreseeable future but the retarded management group here can't see that. The point is if the coach doesn't want him and the manager is too dumb to develop him properly ,get rid of him before he's completely worthless.You're about as sharp as a beachball.

I'd think of dealing Gudbranson for him though.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7759
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:28 am

Hockey Widow wrote: I think there are cracks developing in management about the best way forward. Linden is still very much on the slow approach of developing while staying competitive but he is hearing voices that want to trade out of the problems and be a playoff team. No one advocating a final tear down, tank, rebilud approach. Seems the friction that is starting to show is between staying the course and the old school make a trade or two to add the pieces that allow us to make the playoffs and compete, while we still have the twins. This seems to be coming from ownership. Haven't heard where Benning stands on this. But it seems that our owners may be a bit impaitient. They have no stomach for a traditional rebuild and have run out of paitince with the transition while staying competitive model. I wonder if this is where the Linden rumours started from.
Trading Tanev for Landeskog allows us to lose games 4-2 instead of 2-1.

Is this what Doc's "2-3 years" is all about? Another 2-3 years of ownership lying to themselves before they realize a full rebuild is in order.

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Boston Canucker » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:57 am

Seeing Gudbranson not clearing out smaller guys like Pirri in front of the net on the Rangers 3rd goal was pretty dismaying. It was supposed to be his primary contribution - "you have one job!" but both Rangers stood there, unbothered, and Pirri was able to score. If they could move Gudbranson that would be great, esp. with other young D moving up. But I doubt management will want to cut bait on this supposed top 4 acquisition. They need to keep losing so a rebuild and grabbing draft picks like their mini-snickers on Halloween becomes the only possible option left.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Diehard1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 am

Boston Canucker wrote:Seeing Gudbranson not clearing out smaller guys like Pirri in front of the net on the Rangers 3rd goal was pretty dismaying. It was supposed to be his primary contribution - "you have one job!" but both Rangers stood there, unbothered, and Pirri was able to score. If they could move Gudbranson that would be great, esp. with other young D moving up. But I doubt management will want to cut bait on this supposed top 4 acquisition. They need to keep losing so a rebuild and grabbing draft picks like their mini-snickers on Halloween becomes the only possible option left.
Unfortunately they keep trading those picks. Benning has traded what, 4 2nd rounders since he started? Vey deal, Gudbranson, Baertschi, Sutter deal. Also traded picks for Dorsett, Pedan, threw in one with Kassian, traded one for Larsen. He loves trading picks so hopefully he won't this year given how bad this team is.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3569
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:30 am

Pretty clear that everyone is all in for a complete rebuild and the sooner the better.
Tear it down, rip it up, you hear it everywhere.

Just to be completely clear, step # 1 to that means "no more Sedins". Not when their contracts are up, but now!
Anything short of that is still just pissing in the wind, isn't it?
Just saying...
"evolution"

Locked