Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Rocky Dennis » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya doesn't sound like a lot happening. Our big draft day deal happened a few weeks ago. We must keep that in mind.
In addition, I think we shouldn't get too hung up on our quantity of picks thus far in the draft. We did pick up Stecher and Garteig for nothing but money and that is probably the equivalent of a second and a third? If we get more picks this year, great - but let's not forget what Elmer's already accomplished for the prospect pool.

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:According to Murph, off the record, Benning has/is kicking the tires on Subban.

Absolutely nothing imminent, he's just kicked the tires. But he would get in on those discussions if there were serious merit. Implication is Montreal isn't trying to trade Subban simple exploring before his NMC kicks in July 1st.

As much as I like Subban the cost would set up back significantly. I think it's just Benning doing his due dillegence.
What a relief to hear he is making some calls at least. By his own descriptions of his dealings he makes it sound
like he is waiting for the phone to ring to make deals for players like Hamhuis.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If I had my way I'd like to see the team sign mid level guys to one year contracts and flip them at the deadline.
Although we don't have the roster/waiver eligibility flexibility to do this with the players already under contract, what do people think the repercussions are for doing something like this, in terms of signing future free-agents?

Anyone know how many of Toronto's house cleaning last year were one-year FA signings? Does that impact them this July 1st because they will likely be in the same boat standings-wise next season?

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Elmer is his middle name
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If I had my way I'd like to see the team sign mid level guys to one year contracts and flip them at the deadline.
Although we don't have the roster/waiver eligibility flexibility to do this with the players already under contract, what do people think the repercussions are for doing something like this, in terms of signing future free-agents?

Anyone know how many of Toronto's house cleaning last year were one-year FA signings? Does that impact them this July 1st because they will likely be in the same boat standings-wise next season?
No repercussions. Any player who signs a one year contract probably does so because there weren't any better offers. And if there is no trade protection in the contract any player will know they could be trade bait. I think it's a good strategy.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Elmer is his middle name
LOL i had no idea. classic.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I seem to remember a certain poster mentioning a few times that Elmers bad habit of grossly overpaying players was going to come back and bite the team in the ass.
That was MS... along with the minions he controls + operates.

1). Not "grossly" overpaid.

2). Not gonna "bite the team in the ass".

So Blob, you want... all the contracts to be excellent

.... so that the team can spend to the cap to acquire top free agents.

But you also want the team to suck enough to qualify for high draft picks.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Obviously all contracts won't be excellent
Great, then...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The bad contracts on this team outweigh the excellent ones , that's for sure.
Wrong...

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^^^

Ya, that was sort of my point. Something has to change and someone has to go, or get waived. More than one. We can't fit everyone in.

My follow up post to IN:

Ya IN, something will have to give to fit everyone in.

D

Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Hutton, Gudbranson (5) are locks, barring a trade. We will carry at least 7, maybe 8 on D. That leaves Trymakin, Pedan, Larsen, Biega, with only Trymakin not needing waivers.

Up front we have

Hank, Dank, Baertschi, Horvat, Sutter, Dorsett, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Granlund, Virtanen (11), with only Virtanen not having to clear waivers.

Probably

Rodin, Etem, Gaunce, Grenier, all of whom have to clear waivers.

Adding 1-2 FA complicates the math. Drafting a player who makes the roster complicates the math. It's safe to say, barring injuries, we will have no roster flexibility for recalling players from Utica. Once again.
It's not an efficient way to run a team and so far the results have been poor. Hopefully that changes, but I don't expect it to. If we sign 2 FAs then we lose two players, either to buyouts of waivers. Benning's ability to maximize assets is not good so I don't expect him to be able to trade whoever is excess to requirements, and will be tough to send them to Utica as well.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Diehard1 wrote: It's not an efficient way to run a team and so far the results have been poor. Hopefully that changes, but I don't expect it to. If we sign 2 FAs then we lose two players, either to buyouts of waivers. Benning's ability to maximize assets is not good so I don't expect him to be able to trade whoever is excess to requirements, and will be tough to send them to Utica as well.
You've long been one of the very best posters in all of Canuckdom.

But I must say I've never known you to make as many assumptions as you just made in dat dere post. :crazy:

You haven't been drinking the poisoned anti-benning koolaid have ya buds?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:35 am

Few more hours then whatever happens, happens.
Up to a couple of days ago, seemed pretty up beat and cheery.
Not so much the last 24 hours.
It's a helpless feeling every year but this is worse even though we draft high. Why?
Cause everybody knows that stinking Edmonton team is in a position of power and that sucks.
Toronto is bad enough but they're in that eastern country.
Freakin Oilspills can do a lot over the next week, piss on em.

I just have my fingers crossed that their record of ineptitude moves stays intact and they blow it! :baaa:
"evolution"

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 am

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/104908 ... s-comments

They really do hate us but maybe the fact that Benning stated he will go after Stamkos after the FA starts is over the line???

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 am

Reefer2 wrote:http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/104908 ... s-comments

They really do hate us but maybe the fact that Benning stated he will go after Stamkos after the FA starts is over the line???
It was. Has been talking too much.
Stevy Y was a Lady Bing type player but as a GM he is as nasty as they come. Knows the rules though and will go after anyone that wanders too deep in the mud, oops!
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

Benning just needs to learn to decline comment and be more vague. aha
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:25 am

Yeah his and the owners wallets are probably going to get a bit lighter.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

Many times I wondered how he could get away with comments he has made. He just needs to learn. He's a guy that until he became GM didn't meet the press. His down home ah gee shucks manner gets him talking. Bettman will spell it out for him.
The only HW the Canucks need