Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Jovocop wrote:Baertschi just signed a two year extension $1.7m in 2016/17 and $2m in 2017/18 with an average cap hit of $1.85m. It is a pretty decent deal! :D

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886195

With this deal, the Canucks are now committed $63.7m on 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies. The only RFAs remained are Etem, Vey and Pedan. None of them can command high salary. If somehow GMJB can trade Burrows and Higgins contracts, he could free up another $7m cap space. :look:
He will buy out Higgy.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Gertieg makes the Comets out of camp.

lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Where I think he screwed up was in not trying to move them either last summer or early January. I get his reasoning, we were suppose to be a playoff team. But I remember clearly Linden saying if we don't resign either we need to move them. Benning, IMHO, lacked the foresight needed to make this decision earlier.

One thing he has shown since he has been here is decisiveness but I think he lacked that in the cases of Vrbata and Hamhuis. By TDD it was really too late.
Problem was, both were injured and untradeable in the prime time just ahead of the TDL. Can't blame JB for that. He had to work with the hand he was dealt. Other teams less willing to take a risk on players of questionable health meant they took lesser options over Ham and Vrb. Likely the only offers were very weak because of the buyers risk.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:40 am

Arachnid wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Baertschi just signed a two year extension $1.7m in 2016/17 and $2m in 2017/18 with an average cap hit of $1.85m. It is a pretty decent deal! :D

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886195

With this deal, the Canucks are now committed $63.7m on 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies. The only RFAs remained are Etem, Vey and Pedan. None of them can command high salary. If somehow GMJB can trade Burrows and Higgins contracts, he could free up another $7m cap space. :look:
He will buy out Higgy.
Have to admit, that's a good one...
"evolution"

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Although I initially blasted Benning for screwing the pooch on TDD, I have since backed off that.

Vrbata provided a list of teams in a cleaver way to minimize the likelihood of a trade. Nothing Benning could do there.

Hamhuis was coming off a horrific injury and only agreed to waive a few days before TDD. We all know how that went.

Where I think he screwed up was in not trying to move them either last summer or early January. I get his reasoning, we were suppose to be a playoff team. But I remember clearly Linden saying if we don't resign either we need to move them. Benning, IMHO, lacked the foresight needed to make this decision earlier.

One thing he has shown since he has been here is decisiveness but I think he lacked that in the cases of Vrbata and Hamhuis. By TDD it was really too late.
Ya, well I get that the Hamhuis situation was complicated and no one came out a winner, it happens.
Vrbata however, different story.
That guy pretty much pissed away the whole season with his lack luster, hissy/pissy attitude of non inspirational play and emotion. Any respect I had for him is like way gone now.
FFS, it's his career too.
Not only did he hurt the team but himself too.
Either he's planning to go play baby boy hockey somewhere across the pond or just doesn't give a shit.
loser! :evil:
"evolution"

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 am

Higgins will be bought out, agreed.

I like the Bartschi contract. I like the player too. The flashes of chemistry he and Bo have at times is really good to see and he could be a long term fit with the club once this bridge contract is up.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:57 am

This is a good contract for both the Nucks and Baertschi. I liked seeing Bear going to the net and battling along the boards, and not becoming Mason Raymond II, though he still falls down a bit too easy for me. It would be good to see if he can keep it up in the playoffs sometime in the next two years.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:12 am

5thhorseman wrote:This is a good contract for both the Nucks and Baertschi. I liked seeing Bear going to the net and battling along the boards, and not becoming Mason Raymond II, though he still falls down a bit too easy for me. It would be good to see if he can keep it up in the playoffs sometime in the next two years.
His defensive game has greatly improved too. He charges towards the net in both ends. This bodes well for any post-season appearance in the next 5 years :D

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 am

Grenier, Pedan and Zalewski qualified. Grenier expected to not accept QA. According to his agent want to negotiate for higher cap and term. No word on Grenier and Pedan.

Etem not QA yet. Canucks have until Jne 27th to issue QAs. Apparently his agent was told to speak to the Canucks at the draft.

Vey does not expect a QA from Canucks. Expects to be UFA July 1 because of this. Will circle back to Canucks July 1 as part of his search for a new home. Does not rule out Europe or KHL but preference is to find an NHL home.

Larson still listed as inactive, not yet RFA, according to Carol Schram. Not sure how one goes from inactive list to active list. But this is apparently the hold up in getting him signed. Perhaps it just means the Canucks have not activated him to simply put off signing him or having to qualify him at this moment, for some reason(s).
The only HW the Canucks need

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Vey does not expect a QA from Canucks. Expects to be UFA July 1 because of this. Will circle back to Canucks July 1 as part of his search for a new home. Does not rule out Europe or KHL but preference is to find an NHL home.
This news makes me happy. :D
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Vey does not expect a QA from Canucks. Expects to be UFA July 1 because of this. Will circle back to Canucks July 1 as part of his search for a new home. Does not rule out Europe or KHL but preference is to find an NHL home.

Ya, I guess Benning saying Vey could benefit from a year or two in Europe kinda told us what we needed to hear. I was hoping we could keep his rights if he went to Europe but we would need to qualify him to do that.

First and last time Jim lets WD influence him :mrgreen:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: First and last time Jim lets WD influence him :mrgreen:
lol yup.

Wonder what the Etem at the draft talk is about?
Apparently his agent was told to speak to the Canucks at the draft.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

Ya, I guess Benning saying Vey could benefit from a year or two in Europe kinda told us what we needed to hear. I was hoping we could keep his rights if he went to Europe but we would need to qualify him to do that.

First and last time Jim lets WD influence him :mrgreen:
Awwww come'n....give the kid a break... we now know why he was unfocused....that's like say'n we want posts to go post on Laugh Boards because their wife is a PoCo sow...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Don't know Skyo. Maybe Benning is mind fucking with him so he accepts his QA when it comes. Maybe Benning has a deal in mind and is too busy to sit down right now but has intentions of doing so and the draft is the best place to meet right now. His QA doesn't have to be in until the 27th so maybe he has a two year deal in mind rather than a QA offer. See where both sides are at and if not on the same page just qualify him after the draft and move on.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Yeah, I was never a big Vey fan either. I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a 13th forward for depth, but we're probably better off finding another Cracknell kind of guy for that role (bigger and better suited for bottom 6).
Hockey Widow wrote: First and last time Jim lets WD influence him :mrgreen:
Yeah, we'll see. Willie D was a hot commodity when we signed him though, won't be suprised if Uncle Willies has something in his contract or a gentleman's agreement with JB in that he has a say in personel.
Hockey Widow wrote:His QA doesn't have to be in until the 27th so maybe he has a two year deal in mind rather than a QA offer. See where both sides are at and if not on the same page just qualify him after the draft and move on.
Cool, I'd like to keep Etem around. I liked his hustle and he looks like he could be a good checking/energy player. He looks like he still has some potential, so when he's hot, I could see him playing up the lineup.
micky107 wrote:[Vrbata however, different story.
That guy pretty much pissed away the whole season with his lack luster, hissy/pissy attitude of non inspirational play and emotion. Any respect I had for him is like way gone now.
FFS, it's his career too.
Not only did he hurt the team but himself too.
Yeah, I was surprised Verby had such a poor year/attitude considering it was a contract year for him. I lump Louie Eriksson as a similar type player. He has a good skill set I guess, but has been pretty inconsistent in his career as well (some good years followed by average ones). I'd be weary to sign him.