Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Re: Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote: I'm in the Benning-skeptical camp, but perfectly happy to see him prove his genius, or get spectacularly lucky.
Exactly where I am. I had Elmer rated at about 5 - 5.5 /10 before February. The deadline came and went and now he is at 4.5 . He hasn't done ANYTHING spectacular as the jiz crew would have you believe. But his eye for talent and what he is prepared to pay in both assets and salary for said talent is concerning. Death by a thousand cuts maybe ? I guess we will find out and I would hope by this time next year the team is set up better long term and there aren't anymore dum dum contracts from Ignitowski.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Typical of too many, Blob overrates Canuck players on the block.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Rayxor wrote:
Strangelove wrote: If Benning is successful, Blob will be depressed for his torch + pitchfork ways.

If Benning fails, Blob will be depressed because his team will suck forever.

Blob is in a lose-lose position... the wretched scurvy dog!!! :lol:
Can you blame a Canuck fan for having a case of chronic pessimism?

The economic slowdown probably doesn't help either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blob knows it. We all know it. Lets play nice to each other. We have rarely been able to draft this high. We also have experienced many injuries to our core players for much of this season. If we get the #1; I want Benning to pull a Burke and make a three way trade for the Finnish wingers. Forget Matthews. Thoughts on that anyone?

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 am

Surprise... 8-)

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

Lancer wrote:
If the club is out of contention by the TDD next Spring however....
I don't think Markstrom or Miller as pending UFAs will have any value at next year's TDD.

HW's plan seems to follow Schneider's development path, however I think that was a bit too slow-and-steady - that made sense at the time as the team had a long-term commitment to one of the best goalies of all time.

Trading one of Miller or Markstrom now is really the only one to get any return IMO. One will be walking at the end of next season.

With the plethora of good defensive prospects likely available in the 2nd round, I think a 2nd rounder would be a solid return for one of our goalies. Or even better, as part of a package to snag an extra 1st rounder.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:29 am

ESQ wrote:
Lancer wrote:
I don't think Markstrom or Miller as pending UFAs will have any value at next year's TDD.

HW's plan seems to follow Schneider's development path, however I think that was a bit too slow-and-steady - that made sense at the time as the team had a long-term commitment to one of the best goalies of all time.

Trading one of Miller or Markstrom now is really the only one to get any return IMO. One will be walking at the end of next season.

With the plethora of good defensive prospects likely available in the 2nd round, I think a 2nd rounder would be a solid return for one of our goalies. Or even better, as part of a package to snag an extra 1st rounder.
I get where your coming from but I can't help being nervous of the inherent danger of moving Markstrom, scares the shit out of me.. :?
"evolution"

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 pm

damonberryman wrote:Some of these threads are getting becoming predictable. Being predictable Predictability in nature is a death sentence. Lucky Luckily we all live in civilized times eh eh wot?
FYP

We live in "civilized times" thanks to the tireless work of mods...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:23 pm

micky107 wrote:
ESQ wrote:
Lancer wrote:

I get where your coming from but I can't help being nervous of the inherent danger of moving Markstrom, scares the shit out of me.. :?
If the Canucks indeed want to move a goalie, Miller should be the one. Then they can sign a cheaper and younger backup goalie (someone like Chad Johnson, Jhonas Enroth, or Antti Raanta) for 1 or 2 years.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:17 pm

I just don't think they want to move a goalie at this point. Benning is on record as saying he thinks Miller can still play for a couple of more seasons. They also compared Markstrom to Ben Bishop. The Canucks have a great situation in net right now and a strong succession plan in place.

Demko today said he plans to play in Utica for the full season but then wants to compete for an NHL job after that. So if the plan is to elevate him to the NHL for the 2017-2018 season I can see the Canucks keeping both Markstrom and Miller 2016-2017, re-signing one of them and letting the other walk. Neither have great trade value after the 2016 season as both are FA and there may be an expansion draft whereby teams will likely only be able to protect one goalie not on an ELC. If Las Vegas gets a team that would be a great personal situation for Miller but not how he would like to end his career.

Point being I wouldn't be expecting any goalie trades from Benning. Unless Miller wants out and I haven't heard he has.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:22 pm

In regards to Miller/Markstrom trades I'd err on the side of caution, for the majority of the season they formed a good combo and were our best players along with the Sedins/Hansen, except the end when the entire team collapsed.

I'd rather not have goaltending a weakness by trading one of em, because with just one injury we're fcuked.

The only situation I see we trade one is if Miller decides he wants out, that's it(as HW pointed out)

Markstrom will hold the fort down for the next few years till Demko is ready.
Marky is a keeper for sure, re-sign him in the summer with an extension for a few years at an affordable rate.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:18 pm

whose to say that Demko can even make the NHL? How will he play?

We are counting the chickens way before they are hatched.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:14 pm

Reefer2 wrote:whose to say that Demko can even make the NHL? How will he play?

I don't think anyone is rushing Demko. The reality is that we have two goalies who are UFA after next season. I'm sure neither will re-sign unless they do so as the promised starter job. The question then is should we trade one.

I say no. Re-sign Markstrom, I'd go four year extension, let Miller walk. If of course Miller would come back for one year as the back up do it. But I think we are better served keeping them for the full year.

Only Markstrom has trade value so I guess if Demko shows he is ready to jump next year you could trade Markstrom and re-sign Miller for two years but to me that's tempting fate. Just let it play out but get Markstrom locked up.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Reefer2 wrote:whose to say that Demko can even make the NHL? How will he play?

Sure, and perhaps Auston Matthews will bust as well.

Thanks "Voice of Reason"! :lol:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Didn't Benning say he's looking for a goaltender, probably in the draft as Cannata heads elsewhere leaving a whole for helping Demko.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Topper wrote:Didn't Benning say he's looking for a goaltender, probably in the draft as Cannata heads elsewhere leaving a whole for helping Demko.

Bachman is still under contract for next season and is expected to mentor Demko in Utica. But yes, he did say he'd still like to draft or sign another young goalie.