E2016 Playoffs Round One

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Hank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Love it! The Anaheim Dicks are out. NYR out. Blackcocks out. Queens out.

I hope Rinne talked some smack to Kesler.

And oh yeah, we're going to gain some cap, possibly get a FA or two and add another great prospect to our expanding pool on our way to a quick rebuild/retool. Loving this genius tank ride :mrgreen:
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 am
Location: in my computer

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by sk8er » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 pm

perfect ending to my day! Little bitch kesler is gone from the playoffs!!! My trifecta is complete!!
Too bad for kev though, I could stand him winning it.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Hank wrote:Love it! The Anaheim Dicks are out. NYR out. Blackcocks out. Queens out.

I hope Rinne talked some smack to Kesler.
Our old buddy Kes can go crying @ the golf course. :lol:

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3375
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by ukcanuck » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 am

"To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

-a Canuck fan on his deathbed somewhere today :mex:

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by micky107 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:50 am

Wrath of Khan............. :twisted:
"evolution"

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12463
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 am

It really was the best loss of all. They need better goaltending before their window closes :wink: :wink: :wink:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Arachnid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 am

Hank wrote:Love it! The Anaheim Dicks are out. NYR out. Blackcocks out. Queens out.

I hope Rinne talked some smack to Kesler.

And oh yeah, we're going to gain some cap, possibly get a FA or two and add another great prospect to our expanding pool on our way to a quick rebuild/retool. Loving this genius tank ride :mrgreen:
:lol: .....

Um.... :hmmm:

Don't piss off the Hockey Gods™ :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9428
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Topper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 am

It is sad cheering for losses by ex Canuck's who screwed over the team with their disloyalty and personal aspirations instead of cheering for Canuck victories.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7313
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Cornuck » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 am

Topper wrote:It is sad cheering for losses by ex Canuck's who screwed over the team with their disloyalty and personal aspirations instead of cheering for Canuck victories.
Yeah... but it's all we got until the lottery... (which sounds even sadder).
2017 - The Road to 65™

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1839
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Hank » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:12 am

Yes, it's so sad...



:( :arrow: :lol:
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by micky107 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 am

Topper wrote:It is sad cheering for losses by ex Canuck's who screwed over the team with their disloyalty and personal aspirations instead of cheering for Canuck victories.
I, for one, gave a few fist pumps when we beat those 3 Calif. teams. :oops:
"evolution"

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2855
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Aaronp18 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Strangelove wrote: Brad Richards was considered an elite centre at the time of his buyout with only a $6.6M cap-hit.
That's a pretty tough argument to make. Richards was playing well below his cap hit in 2014 when he was bought out managing 51 points in the 82 games he played. Someone likely wouldve offered him something similar after the buyout but he signed for $2M.
Strangelove wrote: Ehrhoff was still at the top of his game on a mere $4M cap-hit.

Lecavalier (same age as Thornton) was considered a dominant top-6 centre on relatively small $7.7M cap-hit.
Ehrhoff sucked nuts in Buffalo, he stats alone are terrible - obviously partially because of the horrid team he was on but the year he was bought out he finished a -27 and was a complete liability. You could clearly see he was on a downhill slide in his career, still was a good cap hit but his play has gotten consistently worse where he's been sent to the minors this season. It was a shitty deal for Buffalo from the outset.

Lecavalier was once considered a dominant centre, definitely not when he was bought out. He was putting up decent numbers, but he was also aging and injuries were adding up. In the 168 games before his buyout he netted 135 points, that's decent but not dominant. And not worth his $7.7M cap hit, let alone the $38.5M in real salary the next 4 years.

These guys play had clearly dropped below what their cap hits were worth and the teams felt it would get worse. I'm sure the GMs thought they would retire early, you could see they would be in the NHL for the whole length of their contract because their game was dropping so dramatically.

They weighed the pros and cons and the buyout was the best option. In no small part because they were also due so much salary in the next few years that the teams were going to have to pay anyways! Why not buy them out and have available cap space? It also completely negates the cap recapture.

The difference being, Luongo is still playing really well. And is well worth his cap hit and even his real salary! Gillis weighed the pros and cons and his contract wasn't worth buying out.

And let's be totally honest here, these GMs likely knew they probably wouldn't be around when the cap recapture actually affected their team. Like coaches they are hired to be fired!
Strangelove wrote: See how the bolded part speaks against your "No Probs, Just Chuck em on LTIR Theory"? :mex:
I would barely even call it a theory, more of a hopeful wish.

It would be very convenient! And it has happened. Pronger cannot play any longer, they aren't forcing him to retire. Hell you can even trade his LTIR contract!

All Luongo, or anyone else who has these contracts, has to do is suffer from some injuries. What doc is going to say you have to play if you complain about joint problems, groin soreness, etc. Hell I've never played in the NHL and my shoulders are screwed from hockey and baseball, it would be really easy to stick me on the LTIR - no doc would want me playing full contact hockey anymore.

He doesn't even have to make up an injury, he just has to find the game has taken a toll on his body and he just can't play anymore. Guys do this all the time.

Why doesn't Pronger just announce his retirement? The team holding his contract doesn't want him to because he signed it after he was 35 and the full amount counts against the cap, also you can't go over the cap unless he stays on LTIR. IIRC

Unless I'm missing something.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7771
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Aaronp18 wrote: Why doesn't Pronger just announce his retirement?
He wouldn't get paid if he (officially) retired.

And for a team like Arizona, paying Pronger 575K to NOT play is worth $4.9M to their cap, helping them reach the floor. They want nothing to do with LTIR, just want to artificially lower their cap floor.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:01 pm

@ Kesler


User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 16234
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Strangelove » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Aaronp18 wrote: That's a pretty tough argument to make. Richards was playing well below his cap hit when he was bought out
At the time of the buyout Richards was leading the Rags in ice-time among forwards by a country mile.

He was also their de facto captain after Callahan was traded.

Great cap hit at the time.
Aaronp18 wrote: Ehrhoff sucked nuts in Buffalo... still was a good cap hit but
Agreed.

:mex:
Aaronp18 wrote: Lecavalier was once considered a dominant centre, definitely not when he was bought out...$7.7M cap hit
Yet Lecavalier, after the buyout, was immediately signed to a 5-year $22.5M contract.

(and twas strongly rumoured he could have gotten a lot more if he were willing to play elsewhere)

Don't forget these contracts were designed to be awesomely-low cap-hits for only the first few years.
Aaronp18 wrote: These guys play had clearly dropped below what their cap hits were worth and the teams felt it would get worse. I'm sure the GMs thought they would retire early...
Well of course they were going to retire early, that was the whole beauty of these contracts (pre Lou Rule).
Aaronp18 wrote: They weighed the pros and cons and the buyout was the best option.
Right, cuz trying to stash em (eventually) on LTIR wasn't an option.

Which brings us back to... the point. ;)
Aaronp18 wrote: The difference being, Luongo is still playing really well. And is well worth his cap hit and even his real salary! Gillis weighed the pros and cons and his contract wasn't worth buying out.

And let's be totally honest here, these GMs likely knew they probably wouldn't be around when the cap recapture actually affected their team. Like coaches they are hired to be fired!
Richards' buyout was $20M, Lecavalier's buyout was $33M, etc.

No doubt it's the owners that make these calls, but whatever...
Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: See how the bolded part speaks against your "No Probs, Just Chuck em on LTIR Theory"? :mex:
I would barely even call it a theory, more of a hopeful wish.
So now it's the "No Probs, Just Chuck em on LTIR Wish"? :D

Yeah well, not gonna happen...
Aaronp18 wrote: It would be very convenient! And it has happened. Pronger cannot play any longer, they aren't forcing him to retire. Hell you can even trade his LTIR contract!
Pronger has suffered from severe concussion symptoms for 5 years now.

To this day he has to limit his activity.
Aaronp18 wrote: All Luongo, or anyone else who has these contracts, has to do is suffer from some injuries. What doc is going to say you have to play if you complain about joint problems, groin soreness, etc.
Wishful-thinking again? :lol:

If the doc can't find a provable serious long term injury, they'd have to stick him on the IR or healthy-scratch him.

LTIR is serious business.

Besides, Lou would have to give up his golfing, partying, and poker-playing.

Not. Gonna. Happen.
Aaronp18 wrote: Why doesn't Pronger just announce his retirement? The team holding his contract doesn't want him to because he signed it after he was 35 and the full amount counts against the cap, also you can't go over the cap unless he stays on LTIR. IIRC

Unless I'm missing something.
As IN stated, Pronger wouldn't get paid if he retired.

He's legit injured, so why should he?

Say, have you seen my "Panthers Buyout Lou and Canucks' Recapture Penalty Goes Poof Theory". :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Post Reply