E2016 Playoffs Round One

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: E2016 Playoffs Round One

Post by Strangelove » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Yeah, I dunno, I always figured it would have to be a legitimate serious injury (Pronger, Savard).

Otherwise why wasn't this done with players like Brad Richards, Ehrhoff, Lecavalier, Bryzgalov?

Those players were bought out (compliance) to avoid the dreaded Cap Recapture penalty.

Why do that if LTIR is an easy option.
Those guys still wanted to play in the league, the team that held their contract did not want to pay them that amount any longer to play. You obviously can't go on LTIR if you'd still be willing to play for someone else!
I'm talking about LTIR-down-the-road being dismissed as an option by the teams holding these players!

Brad Richards, for example, was supposed to play for 3 more years at his cap-hit of $6.6M and then retire.

But the new Cap Recapture rule introduced a $5,666,667 x 3 yrs penalty if they continued with that plan

... so they bought him out instead.

Gud Gawd... I wasn't talking about LTIRing these guys in their prime! :crazy:

I'm talking about the fact that NHL teams preferred massive buyouts over eventual LTIR shenanigans.
The difference being Luo is still playing to the value of his contract. The play of the guys you mentioned dropped dramatically and their cap hit was a hindrance on the teams ability to be competitive, arguably anyways.

They obviously weighed the pros and cons and decided the buyout was the best option. This wasn't the case with Luongo, he was providing a value to his team (and still is) equal or greater to his contract.
You're not following any of this... at all. :hmmm:

Why would those teams pay out those MASSIVE amounts if it was a reasonable option to just LTIR those players

(when the time came).
Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: If Luo doesn't want to play anymore why not simply say his body simply cannot handle the grind of the NHL anymore, his groin constantly hurts and it doesn't allow him to play.
Well an insurance company would have to pay for Lou's hefty contract I believe, so they'd investigate.

Also, the NHL has the right (and the obligation) to investigate a suspicious LTIR placement.
Of course, but there's a myriad of minor injuries that can add up to LTIR status. Luo has had groin issues, knee problems, which are common in goalies, maybe he has a back issue as well - they can add up and cause long term injuries ;)

One can find a doctor that can tell you something is wrong with you!
Why would a guy like Luongo open himself up to possible insurance fraud?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:27 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Dan Boyle sounds off on Larry Brooks. One can only marine what Brooks asked him to spark this. Wonder if this leads to a gay fine for Boyle.

brooks the sean avery of reporters.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Strangelove wrote: You're not following any of this... at all. :hmmm:

Why would those teams pay out those MASSIVE amounts if it was a reasonable option to just LTIR those players
Oh I`m following. The teams had to weight their options and the contracts that were bought out were likely done so because the players game had already diminished to the point at which they were no longer playing to their cap hit. And it would only get worse as the years went on, the possibility of having a cap recapture penalty wasn't worth the contract in the present.

Luongo's contract is different, he's still playing above his contract value (again arguably). And could for the foreseeable future. The Canucks decided the chance at a possible cap recapture penalty was worth not buying out the contract.

Do I thing they are hedging their bets on Luo going on LTIR, likely not! It would be a pleasant surprise and would help both the Canucks and the Panthers (because they never spend to the cap and even if they finally did the LTIR would allow them to exceed it). Really just going over make-believe scenarios here.

However, Luo could easily suffer from fibromyalgia later in his career that causes him to shutdown websites and go crazy buying a lime green Mazda3. It's nearly impossible to diagnose whether or not that disease even exists, some docs refer to it as the fake disease! Something to fall back on when you can't actually figure out what wrong. ;)
Strangelove wrote: Why would a guy like Luongo open himself up to possible insurance fraud?
He might not, probably just hopeful thinking. Cough *fibromyalgia* cough

In reality, the NHL should realize what a crock of shit it is to move the goalposts after they approved a contract and then decide they'll punish those contracts later on. Doubtful though!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Aaron I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago. It is real although it manifests itself differently in each individual. There are days I can barely move my legs and the pain is intolerable. Other days everything just hurts like hell, like a bad headache throughout my body. Never mind the difficulties sleeping more tha four hours at a time, the constant fatigue, the cognitive problems and it can get worse. Medical science has yet to find a explanation and because of that some doctors still cling to the idea that if it can't be tested for it does not exist. History is full of such conditions, the dark age of thinking I call it.

Fibromyalgia is no joke. And yes, I am very sensitive to comments about it. Thought I would take the opportunity to educate some folks.
The only HW the Canucks need

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Fibromyalgia is no joke. And yes, I am very sensitive to comments about it. Thought I would take the opportunity to educate some folks.
Not my words, orthopedic I know. I'm no doctor!

Quick google search says it's not a new opinion, not saying it's correct.

Also, not discounting that you do suffer and that sucks! I was clearly being tongue in cheek. Happens on the regular.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: You're not following any of this... at all. :hmmm:

Oh I`m following. The teams had to weight their options and the contracts that were bought out were likely done so because the players game had already diminished to the point at which they were no longer playing to their cap hit.
This is true only in the case of Bryz.

Brad Richards was considered an elite centre at the time of his buyout with only a $6.6M cap-hit.

Ehrhoff was still at the top of his game on a mere $4M cap-hit.

Lecavalier (same age as Thornton) was considered a dominant top-6 centre on relatively small $7.7M cap-hit.

The whole reason they brought in the Luongo Rule was to punish teams after enjoying these great cap-hits!
Aaronp18 wrote: And it would only get worse as the years went on, the possibility of having a cap recapture penalty wasn't worth the contract in the present.
See how the bolded part speaks against your "No Probs, Just Chuck em on LTIR Theory"? :mex:

I have been through this argument with others on this board in the past.

The GMs of of those 3 players CBOed blamed the new Luongo Rule as their sole motivation in these CBOs.

I could dig those quotes up, but you'd probably say "GMs lie!"... and I'd be forced to agree. :wink:

Say, have you seen my "Panthers Buyout Lou in 2018, Buh Bye Recapture Penalties Theory"?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

vic
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by vic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Wonder what, if anything, Bruce Boudreau is saying during the 2nd int.

Preds up 2-0 with 20 to play...

At least Kesler can enjoy the California sunshine.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Oh man does this feel wonderful. Fuck you Kesler, sorry Kevin.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Oh man does this feel wonderful. Fuck you Kesler, sorry Kevin.
My thoughts exactly.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:50 pm

I love seeing Perry and Kesler looking like they are going to cry.

What a great round one. LA out, Chicago out, NYR out, Anaheim out. They should have tanked for a better draft pick.

vic
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by vic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 pm

HAHA!

Best part of that final few seconds was Ryan "Going To Anaheim to Win A Cup" Kesler was wide open in the slot with 2 seconds to play and whiffed on the shot - he connects and there's a good probability the puck's in the net.

$7.8 million well spent
Last edited by vic on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Anaheim sets a record of four consequtive game 7 losses on home ice. Previous record holder, Anaheim at three.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 pm

vic wrote:HAHA!

Best part of that final few seconds was Ryan "Going To Anaheim to Win A Cup" Kesler was wide open in the slot with 2 seconds to play and whiffed on the shot - he connects and there's a good probability the puck's in the net.

$7.8 million well spent

Kesler was arguably their best player and lone goal scorer tonight. Perry zero goals in the series.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Bruce Boudreau is one in eight in game 7's in his coaching career.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 pm

As a matter of interest, Braydon Schenn was suspended 2 games for his hit on Oshie. He will serve his suspension at the start of the regular season.