Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Exactly, if Green is still with us he deserves the promotion. One way of looking at it though is if we can keep him in Utica another year he gets more familiarity with the kids. On the other hand, getting him in Vancouver makes the transition easier should WD not last out the year.

But all of that aside I think brining him up would be the right move, should we have a vacancy that is.

I read somewhere he has a window to interview for coaching jobs that closes when the draft starts, or therabouts. If that's true then no rush I suppose to get him with the big club.
The only HW the Canucks need

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:53 am

The buy outs will be interesting. If Higgins and Burr are both bought out I would fully expect GMJB to take a run at Lucic or Stamkos and try to retain Hamhuis as well. (that would be a stretch, though).

Personally, I hope Burrows stays another year and if the fit isn't right they could potentially move him as a rental in the early Spring. I would also like to see Hamhuis back if possible.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:19 am

Mr.Miyagi wrote:The buy outs will be interesting. If Higgins and Burr are both bought out I would fully expect GMJB to take a run at Lucic or Stamkos and try to retain Hamhuis as well. (that would be a stretch, though).

Personally, I hope Burrows stays another year and if the fit isn't right they could potentially move him as a rental in the early Spring. I would also like to see Hamhuis back if possible.
Burr's buyout doesn't make much sense. his cap hit is $2.5 mil this season, and $1mil next season, so we only save $1 million total. We can send him to Utica, and save the same cap space. Or, retain $2.5 million, and trade him for a bag of pucks. Same cap relief this year, and no cap hit next year.

The only reason to buy Burr out is if we absolutely need the cap room for a major UFA signing. And, please don't let it be Lucic at $6x6
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 am

Tciso wrote: Burr's buyout doesn't make much sense. his cap hit is $2.5 mil this season, and $1mil next season, so we only save $1 million total. We can send him to Utica, and save the same cap space. Or, retain $2.5 million, and trade him for a bag of pucks. Same cap relief this year, and no cap hit next year.

The only reason to buy Burr out is if we absolutely need the cap room for a major UFA signing. And, please don't let it be Lucic at $6x6
Exactly. Also, Burrows' real salary is only $3M. So if the Canucks retained 50% someone would get him for $1.5M real money and a $2.25M cap hit. He's still a better hockey player than Derek Dorsett.

Higgins maybe. His buyout would be $833K for a couple years. Plunking him in the minors would leave us with a $1.55M-ish cap hit. But the bonus there is you've got a veteran guy available for injury call-up. I'd rather keep him and see what he can do in a training camp battle, assuming he's healthy. Then again, there will be plenty of competition for the bottom-6 with Rodin, Virtanen, Baertschi, Vey, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem and Dorsett.

I don't really see a need to spend right to the cap this year, although we know Benning likely will. The smarter move would be to eat those salries this year, and not have over $2.5M sitting on the books next season for players not playing for us.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 am

Good points.
Considering their contracts are up after this season, I wonder if one or both of these guys might actually have some trade value now, even if it is low. Perhaps not until closer to the deadline though...wiley veteran experience and depth for probably relatively cheap and no further commitment.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Higgins maybe. His buyout would be $833K for a couple years. Plunking him in the minors would leave us with a $1.55M-ish cap hit. But the bonus there is you've got a veteran guy available for injury call-up. I'd rather keep him and see what he can do in a training camp battle, assuming he's healthy. Then again, there will be plenty of competition for the bottom-6 with Rodin, Virtanen, Baertschi, Vey, Granlund, Gaunce, Etem and Dorsett.
Higgins makes sense for a couple of reasons - first, I think management respects him enough not to dump in the minors for another year. They'll likely buy him out and let him take a shot with another team.

Having him for injury call up? Sure - but why not bring up a prospect instead? And what if Higgins has a great camp? Then we bounce a kid back to Utica?

Burrows makes no sense. No cap savings to be had.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am

Burr's buyout doesn't make much sense. his cap hit is $2.5 mil this season, and $1mil next season, so we only save $1 million total. We can send him to Utica, and save the same cap space. Or, retain $2.5 million, and trade him for a bag of pucks. Same cap relief this year, and no cap hit next year.

[/quote]
Huh? Burrows cap hit is $4.5 million this year, not 2.5 million.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

I am for keeping Burrows for now and trying to trade him at the deadline for something.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 am

Zedlee wrote:

I am for keeping Burrows for now and trying to trade him at the deadline for something.
I believe Tciso meant Burrows buy-out cap hit is $2.5 million this season and $1 million next season. Buy-out will only save the Canucks $1 million over two years.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:24 am

Burrows made it pretty clear after the season ended that he was willing to do whatever was best for all.
I think he is contemplating a fresh start somewhere else wouldn't be so bad and I don't think we'll have to eat any of it. Even if we just get another pick for this year or next, it opens up a roster spot.
Montreal or Ottawa could be destinations. Maybe a U.S. city.
I think the change works for everyone...
"evolution"

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 am

micky107 wrote:Burrows made it pretty clear after the season ended that he was willing to do whatever was best for all.
I think he is contemplating a fresh start somewhere else wouldn't be so bad and I don't think we'll have to eat any of it. Even if we just get another pick for this year or next, it opens up a roster spot.
Montreal or Ottawa could be destinations. Maybe a U.S. city.
I think the change works for everyone...
Burrows' cap hit would be a problem for Montreal if they weren't going to send salary back the other way.

Ottawa might fit, given their internal cap and his $3M real salary.

Wouldn't expect much on the return if we're not willing to take back salary. 4th or 5th rounder. Eat half and that could jump to a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Higgins maybe. His buyout would be $833K for a couple years. Plunking him in the minors would leave us with a $1.55M-ish cap hit.
Higgins makes sense for a couple of reasons - first, I think management respects him enough not to dump in the minors for another year. They'll likely buy him out and let him take a shot with another team.

Having him for injury call up? Sure - but why not bring up a prospect instead?

Bingo cornuck, Higgins will be bought out so he can play with another team.

Burrows fits well with the team contract wise and skill wise, as he's an elite penalty killer still, can play on the top line if need be all the way to the 3rd line, and it's only for one more season, then he and Miller's contracts come off the books for $10.5M in cap space in 2017.

Only way Burrows gets traded is if it's part of bigger deal like #5/Burr for ___ :D imo or a cap dump type like a team wanting to shed a player with 4+ years left on his contract. :s I wouldn't want the latter
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:50 am

SKYO wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Higgins maybe. His buyout would be $833K for a couple years. Plunking him in the minors would leave us with a $1.55M-ish cap hit.

Having him for injury call up? Sure - but why not bring up a prospect instead?

Bingo cornuck, Higgins will be bought out so he can play with another team.

Burrows fits well with the team contract wise and skill wise, as he's an elite penalty killer still, can play on the top line if need be all the way to the 3rd line, and it's only for one more season, then he and Miller's contracts come off the books for $10.5M in cap space in 2017.

Only way Burrows gets traded is if it's part of bigger deal like #5/Burr for ___ :D imo or a cap dump type like a team wanting to shed a player with 4+ years left on his contract. :s I wouldn't want the latter
Yeah but, he did his last goodbye arrow so he cun't ("Hi" dickless00L :D ) come back...he just caaawnt!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:12 am

If any salary is coming the other way in a deal involving Burrows or Higgins, odds are there will be more than just one year.

As others said, only get rid of Higgins and Burrows if you absolutely need the cap space for Stamkos (and only Stamkos, imesho).

Just letting them play out gives us $7 million in cap space next summer, including Miller and we're up to $13 million, just to replace 2 roster spots (assuming Higgins stays in the minors).

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:39 am

Jovocop wrote:
Zedlee wrote:

I believe Tciso meant Burrows buy-out cap hit is $2.5 million this season and $1 million next season. Buy-out will only save the Canucks $1 million over two years.
Cap 4.5. Buyout cap year one 2.5. Savings on cap 2 million. Buyout cap year two 1 million.

So we save 2 million year one but add 1 million year two.

If we need 2.5 in space this year the buyout makes sense. If we don't then we suck it up for a year so we don't have a carry over to next year.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Your the one with a big hole bout the center of your web, Charlotte...... :lol:
"evolution"