Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 pm

From what I remember WD was pretty well liked and respected in the room. As for exit interviews, ya, they do seek feedback on pretty well everything including coaching. But as for asking who they'd prefer as coach, A or B, ain't gonna happen.

Chill micky, it's under control. WD will be back.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Got to deal with these RFA's eventually.
RFA Tracker: Baertschi, Etem, Grenier, Pedan, and More

RFA’s the Canucks have been looking to sign. Sven Baertschi should easily get a contract, but otherwise, it is a pretty gray outlook on the others.

Emerson Etem suited up for half of a season for the Canucks. He was most visible at the tail end of the season, especially with the shootout winner that stood as the final goal of the regular season.

Alex Grenier is a very interesting name. A big winger at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds is what Grenier is and also what the Canucks should be looking for. Considering how he fared at the NHL level during mid-season callups, I thought the Canucks would give the Canadian winger a new contract.

But signing Grenier, now waiver eligible, would almost certainly mean the end of Etem with the Canucks. Tough time for both, but I would pull the trigger on a Grenier deal for a mid-round pick any day of the week if I were Trader Jim.

Finally, Andrey Pedan should not be forgotten. He showed flashes of NHL readiness when playing decent minutes on the third pairing while his physicality was sure made known to the rest of the NHL:

With Benning having already indicated that Pedan will be in Vancouver next season, Pedan will need to bump a few extra bodies to get into the top eight. Especially with the acquisition of Erik Gudbranson, physicality is starting to become a bit of a surplus on the blueline.

Not to forget, however. Dan Hamhuis is still on the board.
Pedan still has Philip Larsen and Alex Biega ahead of him.

http://thecanuckway.com/2016/06/02/vanc ... edition/2/
Grenier could be dealt next, and the log jam of waiver eligible dmen piling up something will give, but JB probably wants as much dmen possible for the long western division season where injuries always happen.

Etem was playing pretty good down the stretch, and to me he seems to be that affordable depth player who will play above his level in the playoffs. He should get a cheap 3 year deal $1.___M per aav, I think etem will appreciate the term.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Is Booze McKenzie running Roughshod around here again? Causing mayhem like it's going out of style?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Agreed! I'm getting too scrappy with Spidy and Doc, my bad... ;)
"evolution"

5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by 5thhorseman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:14 pm

micky107 wrote:Agreed! I'm getting too scrappy with Spidy and Doc, my bad... ;)
Don't hold back man, it's gonna be a long summer :twisted:

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:25 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Yeah - nothing else to read in the newspaper, and I use the word news lightly.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:04 pm

I am confused was Nucks ever in a discussion about Benn?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-t ... -momentum/
13. Jamie Benn’s contract talks?

“We sat down, his future is something we’ve already talked about…started that process. It’s no secret he’s the leader here, and we’re going to figure it out.”

Benn can sign an extension on July 1, one year from unrestricted free agency. Watching what’s happened with Steven Stamkos and Tampa, no doubt the Stars want to avoid that. If the Stamkos/Toronto stuff was bad, the Benn/Vancouver would be worse. Does his ask start with a 10?
Cap increase?
27. Daly told reporters the salary cap figure would be “relatively flat” for next season. (It’s at $71.4M now.)

Meanwhile, the NHLPA meets this week in Chicago, and, among the discussion topics is if the membership will vote to raise the cap by up to five per cent, as is its right. It’s happened every year but once, and that was a decade ago, the first time this option existed. In recent seasons, players have made more noise about saying no, as it hurts their escrow payments. But whenever the moment of truth arrives, they go for the max.

Those eligible for free agency (and their agents) make it very clear: Why should we be punished, when others weren’t? Don’t expect a decision for a week or so, as players who attend the meetings will likely take some time to consult with teammates before the vote.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm

SKYO wrote: Grenier could be dealt next, and the log jam of waiver eligible dmen piling up something will give, but JB probably wants as much dmen possible for the long western division season where injuries always happen.

Etem was playing pretty good down the stretch, and to me he seems to be that affordable depth player who will play above his level in the playoffs. He should get a cheap 3 year deal $1.___M per aav, I think etem will appreciate the term.
Neither of these guys have much (if any) trade value. They'd both likely clear waivers or be easily replaced if claimed.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm

If the cap stays flat we will have around 5 million in cap space. No room for any significant FA. Gotta think Benning is looking at ways to get cap space. Larsson has not signed yet either. Dismal.
The only HW the Canucks need

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Grenier could be dealt next, and the log jam of waiver eligible dmen piling up something will give, but JB probably wants as much dmen possible for the long western division season where injuries always happen.

Neither of these guys have much (if any) trade value. They'd both likely clear waivers or be easily replaced if claimed.
I don't see us waiving Etem. His play steadily improved throughout his time with us, and he was playing good hockey 15 games before his point streak started. I realy like what I saw in him. He's a good fit for Dorsett.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:

I don't see why we'd waive Etem. His play improved throughout his time here, and he was dangerous 15 games before his point streak started. I am with SKYO on this one.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Patience, patience, I'll get to you eventually Fred. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:54 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Not for Fred. :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:03 pm

micky107 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
micky107 wrote:Poll the players........... :hmmm:
Poll the players what? Do you want WmD or go Green?

What kinda plan is that?

Like that's Trump like populism right there Fredrickaka
If TL and, or, JB, are doing their due diligence having talks in the offseason with the players they think their moving forward with, it is only logical to ask, candidly, what they think of the coach and his system. I think any reasonably intelligent hockey mind would see the sense in that, HELLO ? like, KNOCK KNOCK anyone home?
guess not.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good teams don't let the players/pawns run the team, they let management make the decisions based on the big picture (and they certain don't listen to lazy whiny impatient guzzler fans).
If you were a playa as you claim, you should know that, unless you just like to bitch about how the coach used you as a bench warmer :oops:
FFS! Did I say run the team? No! Read the freakin post and try, (I know it's hard for you), to comprehend it.
Good teams (organizations) always ask for player imput, duh!
For all your bragging about all the supposed sports you play, You don't really seem to have a handle on what really happens on a pro team.
Give ya this though. You do toot your own horn a lot about your impressive athletic abilities.
I don't talk that much about my past in sports but I've been around it long enough to learn that guys that brag about themselves, probably have something to hide.
Kinda like the guys that are always heard talking about the size of their D**K, their ashamed of their big 3.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Well, that's the difference between you and me dickey, you talk about your past and I talk about the present...and something you don't seem to get, it ain't a game...it ain't a sport, it's a business...got tit? Good, cause I was worried about how much you talk about dicks on here might have an uncomfortable undercurrent.... :oops:

I not only continue to roll but I have some pretty deep ties to the NHL and hockey in general. It's a family thing see? I talk to them and they (actually having been to the show (not wannabe failures in the minors), give me some valuable insight into the business side of the game).

I find those that don't play a sport tend to sit at their computers a lot and pose and type kaka bravado :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Tciso wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

I don't see why we'd waive Etem. His play improved throughout his time here, and he was dangerous 15 games before his point streak started. I am with SKYO on this one.
Gotta think there will be some camp battles. Etem is a bubble guy. It wouldn't be a shock to see him sent to the minors to start the season.