Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by SKYO »

Skriko wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler and Boesser for Landeskog.
I like that!
Well what was the rumor? Trouba for Landeskog, so it would have to be the mighty Tanev one + ____.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Connor McDavid and the rest of team Canada, coach included, raved about the play of Tanev (the one good thing Gillis did) at the recent IIHF Worlds. I think we may be undervaluing him here. With what's going on with the defenceman market these days, which looks eerily similar to Vancouvers real estate market, I would think that Tanev, due to age and the new NHL, in vogue, new age style of NHL defenceman soooooo coveted today that Chris is, he would fetch an arm and a leg. It is not unreasonable to ask for Landeskog straight up for Tanev when you consider what the Coil had to fork over to land your mediocre - Larsson. But you know damn well that Megamind won't be trading Tanev any time soon and he shouldn't
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Skriko wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler and Boesser for Landeskog.
I like that!
I'd be shocked if we traded Boeser. Shocked!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:There have actually been rumblings of Gabe's availability, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim was targeting one of GL, E Kane or Niederreiter.

It'll cost, but its doable.

They are calling E. Kane the NHL Johnny Manziel. Are you sure you want that here? Knowing the kind of players Linden and Benning like - good strong character types, I don't see it happening

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I said a few years back that Tanev made Hamhuis expendable.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote:Connor McDavid and the rest of team Canada, coach included, raved about the play of Tanev (the one good thing Gillis did) at the recent IIHF Worlds. I think we may be undervaluing him here. With what's going on with the defenceman market these days, which looks eerily similar to Vancouvers real estate market, I would think that Tanev, due to age and the new NHL, in vogue, new age style of NHL defenceman soooooo coveted today that Chris is, he would fetch an arm and a leg. It is not unreasonable to ask for Landeskog straight up for Tanev when you consider what the Coil had to fork over to land your mediocre - Larsson. But you know damn well that Megamind won't be trading Tanev any time soon and he shouldn't
Trueness Dude! He & Hutton have decided to work on their shot this summer, so it will be interesting to see if there's improvement this fall.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

dangler wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Connor McDavid and the rest of team Canada, coach included, raved about the play of Tanev (the one good thing Gillis did) at the recent IIHF Worlds. I think we may be undervaluing him here. With what's going on with the defenceman market these days, which looks eerily similar to Vancouvers real estate market, I would think that Tanev, due to age and the new NHL, in vogue, new age style of NHL defenceman soooooo coveted today that Chris is, he would fetch an arm and a leg. It is not unreasonable to ask for Landeskog straight up for Tanev when you consider what the Coil had to fork over to land your mediocre - Larsson. But you know damn well that Megamind won't be trading Tanev any time soon and he shouldn't
Trueness Dude! He & Hutton have decided to work on their shot this summer, so it will be interesting to see if there's improvement this fall.
Part of working on your shot is working on your willingness to take it.

I hope there is more to their lessons then just learning how to blast.
I hope it also includes how to get in a desirable spot to take it.
And how not to get caught in a situation where your too close to the boards, miss the net, and puck flies back the other way, creating an odd man rush against you.
There's a lot to learn...
"evolution"

rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Topper wrote:I said a few years back that Tanev made Hamhuis expendable.
I think they were trying to move Edler and when they couldn't they decided to move on from Hamhuis which is why it dragged on...

Take care..

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote:I said a few years back that Tanev made Hamhuis expendable.
While Hutton sealed his fate.

I said, upon his acquisition, that Dorsett made Higgins expendable.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning presser today:
*Asked if Burrows could or would be bought out later in the summer. No, team made a decision they are better off with him. Raved about his leadership and mentoring. Puts it all on the ice every shift. Key part of the core and vet mentoring. Plans to have him in the line up this season.
Too soon to pass the "Mind Check" torch.
Hockey Widow wrote: * asked if he had plans to add anyone else. Said yes. Said they have been trying to make trade(s) for the past 2-3 weeks to clear cap/roster spots but nothing so far that makes sense. Said if he had a crystal ball he would imagine that we acquire a skilled forward that plays with grit via trade. Sounded like he was telling us something without telling us.
Is he alluding to the the major impact trade I was pining for earlier this week?
Hockey Widow wrote: * Larsen penciled in to top PP unit. Great at walking the line and getting shots through. Great first pass and at carrying the puck. Good friends with both Hansen and Eriksson, who both raved about him. Sees we have 9 NHL D men, 10 if you count Stecker. Something may change before camp. Has had a lot of interest regarding some on the back end. (doesn't Tanev's NTC kick in next July)
Dark horse acquisition?
Hockey Widow wrote: * asked if he was going to sit on the remaining cap over concerns about next year and players needing new deals. Said no. Plenty of expiring contracts next year to fit everyone in.
Honestly, could he be more candid?
Hockey Widow wrote: * reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles... Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front.
Wait for it...
Hockey Widow wrote: * reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.
Wait for it...

All in all, an extremely proactive day for management. Jim had a list of players he was targeting to fill the holes throughout BOTH organizations, and he took care of a good chunk of business in just a few hours. :thumbs:

He still has plenty of room under the 50 contract limit, 42 by my quick estimate, and can put all his focus on swinging one more big big trade for Landes<er> a top six with grit and skill.

Thanks Wids for your effort here, as per usual.

valkyrie
AHL Prospect

Post by valkyrie »

Gotta think Abols gets a contract, I guess they could have Utica give him a show me contract kinda like,... Valk I think did?
Also hoping Carl Neil gets signed.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Landeskog? Fuck ya...whatever it takes

Kane? Meh...only if hes in the bargain bin
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning certainly was busy yesterday signing 5 UFA and 1 RFA.

Plenty of contract room and cap to make more deals. Friesen signed elsewhere today so Utica still needs help. And depending upon how Abols does in camp I could see them getting him to Utica as well.

Next up for him I guess is to get Grenier and Pedan inked. Neither is going to command significant coin. Even though some of his contracts may be high, you can't say that for these young guys. He seems to be able to get these bubble players under contract for very good hits.
The only HW the Canucks need

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:Next up for him I guess is to get Grenier and Pedan inked. Neither is going to command significant coin. Even though some of his contracts may be high, you can't say that for these young guys. He seems to be able to get these bubble players under contract for very good hits.
Agreed, Wids. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Hopefully he continues this positive trend. Wouldn't think there would be much problem resigning either of the two above.

On Landeskog, would love to get the guy but expect the price will be much more than we can afford at this stage. Pretty sure they would be wanting Boeser, Tanev or Horvat coming back (or more than one of them) and I'd be pretty reticent of doing that.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Next up for him I guess is to get Grenier and Pedan inked. Neither is going to command significant coin. Even though some of his contracts may be high, you can't say that for these young guys. He seems to be able to get these bubble players under contract for very good hits.
Agreed, Wids. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Hopefully he continues this positive trend. Wouldn't think there would be much problem resigning either of the two above.

On Landeskog, would love to get the guy but expect the price will be much more than we can afford at this stage. Pretty sure they would be wanting Boeser, Tanev or Horvat coming back (or more than one of them) and I'd be pretty reticent of doing that.

Dude is right though. The price for top four RHS D is very high. If they decided to move Tanev I think they could get a very good return. Not suggesting they do but if they do its not unrealistic to expect a top six back in return.

Seth Jones got Johannsen, Gudbranson got McCann and a 2nd, Larssen got Hall. Tanev is not a point producer but he does eat minutes and plays a strong defensive game. He is not a punishing player to play against but is calm with the puck and has a good first pass.

I'd prefer to keep Tanev though. But his NTC kicks in next July. His value may not be any higher than it is now.
The only HW the Canucks need