Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 25395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Benning presser today:

* reiterated that they are working the trade front but that may not shake out until FA settles. Also said they are in touch with a few FA still but they too need to let things settle. Got the feeling there is a player or two he could go after but that something else is at the forefront on the trade front. So if he can swing a trade no more FA but if the trade doesn't pan out he has options still in FA.

* reiterated a few times that the guy they want to bring in will be a skilled forward that plays with grit, could be high end depending on how our roster shakes out or lower tier if we are tight to it, cap and roster. Really sounds like he has something being discussed on the trade front but nothing concrete or imminent.
Evander Kane?? :mrgreen:
I could've sworn I heard Benning say "Evander Kane"! :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by TDA Rum »

Evander Kane works too, Landeskog just fits the character of the team better..

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 25395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote:Evander Kane works too, Landeskog just fits the character of the team better..
Agreed, but Evander may be had on the cheap right now.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4470
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Carl Yagro »

Landeskog would cost a hell of a lot more than Gaunce/Grenier & Sbisa.

But Buffalo might be so desperate that they would take those two for Evander Kane and a track suit. Of course Jim would have to throw in a 5th to sweeten the deal :mrgreen:
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 25395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote:
Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.
That would be Lucic til he's 34... Eriksson til he's 36 (7-yr contract vs 6-yr contract).

But in actuality it will be Eriksson til he's 34.

Allow me to explain...

Eriksson's contract is structured in such a way that if he's traded exactly 4 years from today

... only $1M in real dollars will be due him for 2020-21, and $4M for 2021-22... with a $6M cap-hit both years.

(traded after his $3M "signing bonus" on July 1, 2020)

Meaning he's likely extremely attractive to a team trying to reach the cap-floor.

Trust me this is a modern-day cap-circumvention contract!

One way or another (retirement in 2020 after receiving $31M of this $36M contract?)

... Loui is gone after 4 years.

Yeah, y'might say we're paying this guy $8M-per with a $6M-per cap-hit... for only 4 years.

Benning IS a genius! :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4470
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, and the Looch-o-dometer is much higher than the older model Loui Ericksson.

He could be 34 in dog years when he's done.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7286
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Meds wrote:
Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.
That would be Lucic til he's 34... Eriksson til he's 36 (7-yr contract vs 6-yr contract).

But in actuality it will be Eriksson til he's 34.

Allow me to explain...

Eriksson's contract is structured in such a way that if he's traded exactly 4 years from today

... only $1M in real dollars will be due him for 2020-21, and $4M for 2021-22... with a $6M cap-hit both years.

(traded after his $3M "signing bonus" on July 1, 2020)

Meaning he's likely extremely attractive to a team trying to reach the cap-floor.

Trust me this is a modern-day cap-circumvention contract!

One way or another (retirement in 2020 after receiving $31M of this $36M contract?)

... Loui is gone after 4 years.

Yeah, y'might say we're paying this guy $8M-per with a $6M-per cap-hit... for only 4 years.

Benning IS a genius! :mex:
Eriksson will be 31 in 2(ish) weeks. He will be closing on 37 when his deal is finished.....either way he will be in his 37th year.

The comparison is irrelevant in terms of options available anyhow, Lucic didn't want to come here for reasons that were not financial.

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 17907
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
Meds wrote:
Hank wrote:Sure, but JB was trying to get both scoring and grit in one fell swoop with Lucic.

If he did that then everyone would destroy him for such a terrible contract.

But I'm hoping he can still address this with a trade or two.
Eriksson and Lucic end up with the same AAV, but Lucic is signed for an extra year.

Lucic is 3 years younger, and even when his speed and scoring touch start to diminish he will still bring something to the ice because of his size, strength, and asshole factor.

Eriksson will be a guy that we are paying $6M for 40 points by the time his contract is at the halfway mark. He isn't a physical player or a net presence.

I would take Lucic at $6M until he is 34 years old over Eriksson at the same price until he is 37.
That would be Lucic til he's 34... Eriksson til he's 36 (7-yr contract vs 6-yr contract).

But in actuality it will be Eriksson til he's 34.

Allow me to explain...

Eriksson's contract is structured in such a way that if he's traded exactly 4 years from today

... only $1M in real dollars will be due him for 2020-21, and $4M for 2021-22... with a $6M cap-hit both years.

(traded after his $3M "signing bonus" on July 1, 2020)

Meaning he's likely extremely attractive to a team trying to reach the cap-floor.

Trust me this is a modern-day cap-circumvention contract!

One way or another (retirement in 2020 after receiving $31M of this $36M contract?)

... Loui is gone after 4 years.

Yeah, y'might say we're paying this guy $8M-per with a $6M-per cap-hit... for only 4 years.

Benning IS a genius! :mex:
I refer to Sir Jim Benning as Megamind now Doc. Genius doesn't quite paint a true picture of the inner workings of his brain. Although every once in awhile I will refer to him as Genius Benning.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 25395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote: Eriksson will be 31 in 2(ish) weeks. He will be closing on 37 when his deal is finished.....either way he will be in his 37th year.
Well in that case you have to say Lucic will be 35... or in his 35th year.

(TWO years difference here Meds... not THREE!)

FFS Meds, you're better than this, go home, sleep it off, try again in the morning. :scowl:
Meds wrote: The comparison is irrelevant in terms of options available anyhow, Lucic didn't want to come here for reasons that were not financial.
OMG...you... were the one comparing the two. :lol:

Do you agree with me that Eriksson is either retired after 4 years

... or dealt to a bottom-feeder at that point earning a total of $5M real money over 2 years.

Don't answer now, take two sleeping pills and call me in the morning. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 25395
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: I refer to Sir Jim Benning as Megamind now Doc. Genius doesn't quite paint a true picture of the inner workings of his brain. Although every once in awhile I will refer to him as Genius Benning.
Agreed.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 18724
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

TDA Rum wrote:Hockey Widow wrote:
Benning presser..

* asked if he had plans to add anyone else. Said yes. Said they have been trying to make trade(s) for the past 2-3 weeks to clear cap/roster spots but nothing so far that makes sense. Said if he had a crystal ball he would imagine that we acquire a skilled forward that plays with grit via trade. Sounded like he was telling us something without telling us.

I could see a trade of Gaunce & Sbisa for Landeskog... a gritty winger who can score...
Grenier played for Roy in Junior or Hansen could be added if they don't like Gaunce.. they don't have many defenseman signed so Sbisa would fit.. or a Tanev for Landeskog straight up
Sure, and maybe we can get McKinnon thrown in for Cassels and Cederholm.

Are you huffing gas or smoking rock ?
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 17907
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Did somebody just say - trade Gaunce and Sbisa for Landeskog? Am I imagining things? It's been awhile since I done acid
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by BladesofSteel »

There have actually been rumblings of Gabe's availability, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim was targeting one of GL, E Kane or Niederreiter.

It'll cost, but its doable.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BladesofSteel wrote:There have actually been rumblings of Gabe's availability, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim was targeting one of GL, E Kane or Niederreiter.

It'll cost, but its doable.
*big huff on the gas rag*

Edler and Boesser for Landeskog.

Colorado turns around and trades Barrie for RNH.

User avatar
Skriko
AHL Prospect
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Skriko »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler and Boesser for Landeskog.
I like that!
Had a 10 game pack in 1987/88, I am a fan OK?
(and I watched GMJB play defense for us)

Post Reply