Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am

Meds wrote:
SKYO wrote: Does anyone know if Virtanen can play LW?
Virtanen was listed as a LW in junior.
Virtanen was used exclusively as a RW in his last season with the Hitmen.

A quick googling tells me he has very rarely played LW... yet produced fairly well when asked to do so.

(2014 IIHF World U18 Championships for example)

I'm guessing he's more comfortable on the right side?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why would Edler be left unprotected? Hutton is exempt. Tanev, Gudbranson and Edler would be protected.
As mickey107 suggested as an incentive to waive. Maybe I'm in the minority but outside of Sbisa, Edler is the next logical candidate to be moved. His play is too dependent on whom he is paired with, and at $5.0 mil per year it shouldn't be. Without Tanev to compensate his mistakes become critical. Ever since his back injury and subsequent suspension he has stopped hitting and had his play is reflective of that. Had he continued to play as he used to, he would be full value for the money, but now his approach to the game has become almost tentative, and he's at an age where improvement is unlikely, and certainly even more so three years from now at the end of his contract.

Perhaps I'm overly harsh, but Gudbransen, Hutton, Tryamkin and Horvat all need to be signed in 2017-18 and all will be getting substantial raises. There is a good chance that at least two of the three defencemen in the group will have surpassed Edler on the depth chart, and if Tryamkin continues to progress him as well. To get something you have to give something and at this point Edler is the most suitable candidate.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm

The freakin thing I would love to see this year is a big old 107mph on the radar gun after Tramp let her rip! :shock:
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Burrows talking like he will finish his contract as a Canuck. He is working out like mad and working hard on his foot speed and agility. He says he wants a top six role but will play wherever he is asked.

In speaking of last year and all the kids he specifically called out/mentioned Virtanen and Hutton as being two kids who need to learn what is to be a professional. Says they didn't always take things seriously enough and have to learn what is is to be a professional everyday. They need to take things more seriously on and off the ice.

He went on to say that Virtanen has a lot of potential and he hopes he gets it sooner rather than later.

Yikes. Sounds like Hutton was having too much fun. Although Burrows did say he spoke to him after the World's and feels that was a good learning experience for him, to be surrounded by players who know how to win and what it takes AND not to take anything for granted. It's a small step from the ice to the press box.
The only HW the Canucks need

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Burrows talking like he will finish his contract as a Canuck. He is working out like mad and working hard on his foot speed and agility. He says he wants a top six role but will play wherever he is asked.

In speaking of last year and all the kids he specifically called out/mentioned Virtanen and Hutton as being two kids who need to learn what is to be a professional. Says they didn't always take things seriously enough and have to learn what is is to be a professional everyday. They need to take things more seriously on and off the ice.

He went on to say that Virtanen has a lot of potential and he hopes he gets it sooner rather than later.

Yikes. Sounds like Hutton was having too much fun. Although Burrows did say he spoke to him after the World's and feels that was a good learning experience for him, to be surrounded by players who know how to win and what it takes AND not to take anything for granted. It's a small step from the ice to the press box.
I'd love to see Burrows have a big year and help lead the team to one more playoffs.
Hutton is so happy-go-lucky I'm not sure he will ever be too serious, but hopefully he can be serious enough to reach his potential. Both he and Virtanen are living the dream. I'd likely have a grin on my face all day too if I were them.
We are all Jim Benning.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Deadline for players receiving QA to accept the offer has now expired. No word that Pedan nor Grenier accepted the offers. After 5:00pm EDT today those offers were considered withdrawn.

The good news, Benning can offer less :mrgreen:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:10 am

The next big contract will be for Horvat, which he could sign now or just wait the year out.

Either the classic 2 year bridge contract or the new long term deal (6-8 years) banking on potential, with paying high now and save down the road. $5.3M per :D

I think it would be wise to think about the long term deal for Bo, he's a hard worker, built like a bull, two-way skills, fast for his size, could be a 60 pt guy, maybe a #1b center in 2, 3 years.

Other 2017 RFA's:
Gudbranson I can see being @ $4.5M per.

Hutton and Tryamkin both should get bridge contracts.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 am

SKYO wrote:The next big contract will be for Horvat, which he could sign now or just wait the year out.

Either the classic 2 year bridge contract or the new long term deal (6-8 years) banking on potential, with paying high now and save down the road. $5.3M per :D

I think it would be wise to think about the long term deal for Bo, he's a hard worker, built like a bull, two-way skills, fast for his size, could be a 60 pt guy, maybe a #1b center in 2, 3 years.

Other 2017 RFA's:
Gudbranson I can see being @ $4.5M per.

Hutton and Tryamkin both should get bridge contracts.

Horvat's day will come but unless this season is a breakout for him I'd go the 2-3 year 2.8-3m per. He can hit his home run after that. Gudbranson maybe just takes one year to get to FA. Depending on how his season is going I'd be tempted to go to the 5 range on a five year deal.

Agree on Trymakin and Hutton.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:58 am

Lol Burrows talking about being professional.

"Look kid when I was in my prime I used to go on tv and cry when the officials didn't give me a call for diving. I once bit a guy and yanked another guys hair in a fight. I basically ended JP Dumonts career with a cheap hit but I was very professional through and through."
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:36 am

Well, Mr Burrows has the talk down, real good! What a wonderful company spew.
He's done man, done.
IMO, there is not one ghost in hell chance he returns to the type of form, or value for that matter, that he once had.
That's just smellin daisies because everybody wants to.
I like Burrows but now is the time to move along.

Bo is a favorite of mine too but again, IMO, he has earned a bridge contract only or at least wait till January.
He's not Stamkos or Benn right now so don't start freaking out that we'll lose him if we don't shower him with money for next year, now!
I keep saying this 3 year entry level system is rot!

Sorry, now Micks got people mad at him again but I have to say what I feel.. :(
"evolution"

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol Burrows talking about being professional.

"Look kid when I was in my prime I used to go on tv and cry when the officials didn't give me a call for diving. I once bit a guy and yanked another guys hair in a fight. I basically ended JP Dumonts career with a cheap hit but I was very professional through and through."
Um. Yeah. Blobbee, the Burr playing on the edge on the ice, what does that have to do with him wanting to see Virtanen and Hutton taking their priviledged careers a little more serious? Are you swilling with barbiturates again? You can see from the nosebleeds that Virtanen and Hutton need to grow up a little, let's hope they do. I worry Jake is more in love with the hockey life style than wanting to master his craft. You won't have these concerns with Horvat, Juolevi, Boeser and Demko. Low maintenance players who are self motivated and always wanting to improve unlike Jake The Flake and Life of the Party Hutton

You know damn well that Short Leash Benning the Megamind will disperse Jake and Ben if they don't start taking their careers a little more seriously. Don't have a problem with that either.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol Burrows talking about being professional.

Fuck Blob do you ever give it a rest?

Seriously your a very sour person who needs to step away from the computer for a month.

do you beat cats at night and tear the wings of a fly?
Last edited by Reefer2 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Sure sounds like our three new comers last year got under the skin of a number of veteran players. McCann, Virtanen and Hutton.

This is a great example of why a team needs to surround these younger players with character and leadership. A great example of why Edmonton is still in such a funk. Why Murray worries about E. Kane's influence on the younger players.

I think all three, McCann, Virtanen and Hutton will or already have, gotten the message, although it was McCann who said last year it is what it is and everyone has a different way of being. I also think it's just young boys living their dream with money burning a hole in their pocket. None of them seem to have attitude or off ice issues. They just liked to have too much fun at the expense of working on their craft.

Sounds like this off season all three are working hard to prepare for camp.

Burrows has always been singled out as having great leadership and mentoring qualities.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Burrows has always been singled out as having great leadership and mentoring qualities.
It is not hard to understand. Unlike majority of the NHL players, Burrows went a long way to be where he is today. Everything he has, he has to work extremely hard for it. If Virtanen and Hutton both have Burrows heart, determination and work ethic, they will eventually be effective NHLers.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Burrows has always been singled out as having great leadership and mentoring qualities.
It is not hard to understand. Unlike majority of the NHL players, Burrows went a long way to be where he is today. Everything he has, he has to work extremely hard for it. If Virtanen and Hutton both have Burrows heart, determination and work ethic, they will eventually be effective NHLers.
Yeah, literally clawing tooth and nail just to have an NHL career.

As for the leadership aspect, we have plenty of it. The kids will be fine. We're so used to having the boring players like the Sedins that we forget the 20-year olds will almost always have some maturing to do. If the kids won't listen to the Sedins, maybe someone closer in age like Horvat, who oozes leadership potential, can slap some sense into them.

Seriously, imagine being a 19-22 year old making $900K+ plus, travelling the continent playing hockey. Can't fault them for wanting to enjoy it a little bit.