Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I can't see Aquilini ponying up 7.5 million for a guy not to play here. He has been paying Eye Bags, Tortorella , Ballard, Booth, Luongo and probably Elmer and Twitch not to work for the hockey club. Wake up Skyo.
Yeah you probably right. :shock:

Be nice though if we got their pick somehow. #15?#16

And then 2017, datsyuk, miller contracts come off the books, $13.5M.
You wouldn't be paying Datsyuk anything. The contract would be terminated, but the cap hit remains. It's dead cap. No way a team that feels the need to compete does that. Someone looking to reach the floor (and keep their real salary low), OTOH...
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I can't see Aquilini ponying up 7.5 million for a guy not to play here. He has been paying Eye Bags, Tortorella , Ballard, Booth, Luongo and probably Elmer and Twitch not to work for the hockey club. Wake up Skyo.
Yeah you probably right. :shock:

Be nice though if we got their pick somehow. #15?#16

And then 2017, datsyuk, miller contracts come off the books, $13.5M.
You wouldn't be paying Datsyuk anything. The contract would be terminated, but the cap hit remains. It's dead cap. No way a team that feels the need to compete does that. Someone looking to reach the floor (and keep their real salary low), OTOH...
Yeah blob, get it together eh. :P :P

Taking out the datsyuk contract/trade ideal altogether, seems like Teemu Pulkkinen is the odd man out in detroit, too many players ahead of him, wonder what it would take to acquire him from the redwings.

Cassels?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Gratz on Hank for winning the Clancy. Was that a snub on Mess or did Hank simply not know about Mess? :lol:
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

By the end of next week I think all we do is buyout Higgins and Burrows, it's the way the league is trending, unless you are willing to take on cap hit contracts or willing to deal young players on cheap contracts, there isn't much movement trade wise for mediocre players on contracts.
Unless you deal with a team up against the cap ala Shaw, Teravainen, so you might want to target Pens-Hornqvist, Caps-Wilson, NYR-Kreider.

So we just sign Lucic and be done with it, strike out on him target Hartnell, Ladd, Brouwer.

Then we see how Rodin, Etem, Virtanen, Gaunce, Granlund, Hutton, Pedan, Tryamkin and Stecher progress this upcoming season.

Rodin, Tryamkin and Stecher give me the most interest, Stech might not play any nhl games till dec/jan though.
Can't wait till Boeser comes in 2017.

Sedins Hansen
Lucic Sutter Etem [Lucic - Horvat - Etem]
Baertschi Horvat Rodin [Baertschi - Sutter - Rodin]
Dorsett Granlund Virtanen
Gaunce

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Sbisa Tryamkin
Pedan Stecher
Biega

Miller
Markstrom
March 2016, The Canucks announced the one-year, $950,000 deal on Tuesday and general manager Jim Benning said he expects Rodin will be a top-nine forward next season for the National Hockey League team.

Rodin, who had 16 goals and 37 points in an injury-shortened 33-game season for Brynas, was recently named the Swedish League’s MVP. He was selected 57th overall in the 2009 draft.

We think playing over there the last couple of years he has gotten physically stronger,” Benning said. “Mentally, I think he’s ready now to come over and to have a real good year for us.

“We think he is going to be a skill guy for us,” Benning said. “He has got a real good release on his shot and he is quick. He is a little bit like Sven Baertschi, he is skilled like Sven and he can shoot the puck. We just felt it is good timing for him and us to add his skill set. I think it is going to be a good fit for both of us.”

Rodin, who is 5-11 and 180 pounds, is a close friend of Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom. The two played together with Brynas.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Would you trade a 3rd for Yakupov?

Some scouts see him that low.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 38367.html
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

According to Sekeres of 1040, Higgins will be bought out. Burrows will be kept, for now. I think there is one more buy out opportunity before the season starts in any event. They see Burrows still having value relative to what his cap could garner in FA. As others have pointed out, there isn't a huge cap savings on buying him out. Not enough to make it worth their while. This could obviously change later in the summer. The cost to trade Burrows would be us giving up a pick or other assets to have someone eat his cap.

Hamhuis has been told to operate under the assumption that he will be a FA July 1. Canucks have not ruled out bringing him back but will circle back after July if he is still available. Sounds like Hamhuis expectations are more than what the Canucks are interested in, either term or cap. He is obviously not high on their list for what his expectations are. Canucks would like him back but need the available cap to try and add scoring up front. So in the absence of freeing up more room, which looks like they won't, other than Higgins, he just does not fit.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:Would you trade a 3rd for Yakupov?

For a 3rd pick? Tempting.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And now the invites for un-drafted players to attend prospects camp has begun. Canucks invite two from the Q.

Frederic Aube

Defense -- shoots R
Born Aug 10 1996 -- Sherbrooke, PQ
[19 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 198 [185 cm/90 kg]

Alexis D'Aoust

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Apr 3 1996 -- Trois-Rivieres, PQ
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 200 [183 cm/91 kg
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Ah, yes.
That talent is still there somewhere.
Put some duct tape on the attitude and rock & roll!
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I would see this as a typical Benning move - what are the odds on a 3rd rounder making an impact - vs turning around a talented player with a change of scenery.
2021 - Playoff Bound
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A shame we couldn't trade Sbisa to make more room.

Trading Sbisa and buying out Higgins would take us up to $14.4M in available cap.

Then trade Sutter and Dorsett.

Sign Stamkos AND Lucic. $11M (7 years) and $6M (5 years).

Re-sign Hamhuis 3 years @ $4M

See if Weise can be had for a year or 2 at $1.25M (it's a raise for him).

1A - Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
1B - Rodin - Stamkos - Lucic
3 - Virtanen - Horvat - Baertschi
4 - Burrows - Granlund - Weise
Gaunce

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Hamhuis - Tryamkin
Biega

Miller
Markstrom

Total cap of $72,672,917

:mrgreen:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cornuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I would see this as a typical Benning move - what are the odds on a 3rd rounder making an impact - vs turning around a talented player with a change of scenery.
Wonder if 3rd plus Hamhuis rights would get it done? Doubt it would be enough, but I'd definitely be game. Don't think he [Yak] has been used properly over here and could make a turn-around. (On a side note: can you trade rights on a player with a no trade clause? I can't even recall if Hamhuis has a limited or no trade contract.)
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Edm needs D, offer Sbisa, who is 3.6 for 2 years, we take Yak at 2.5 for one yr, then RFA, see if he can get his act together. It would be a win win for us, not sure if Edm goes for it but if they have a tough time finding D maybe they see the relative trade-off (basically 1 mill more on cap for a 5/6 D guy), who knows. Otherwise, would offer no better than 4th pick. I sense Edm really wants Yak out of there, esp now with the new Finn on the roster.
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

News 1130 Sports says Canucks have contacted agents for Eriksson, Boedker, Helm and Ladd.

https://twitter.com/NEWS1130Sports
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

FAN's 590 Bob McCown - Leaves have a plan to pay Stamkos 3.5M in non-cap dollars per year thru marketing

Maybe Aqualini can make him the poster child for his company?