Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky you can't just label the lines as number one and two. It's results on the ice that will dictate who an other team matches up against the twins, or any one else. If Horvat, or any one else, naturally emerge as more productive or dangerous then other teams will begin to match up against them. it's not like teams say ok who does Vancouver list as their first line, that's who we have to match up against.

From WD perspective it's the ice time and situations that will show who he believes are the number one line. Sure it would be great to see the twins match up against other teams 3rd and 4th lines. But that's not WDs choice. At home he has last change and can try to match up but good coaches will change up on the fly to get their preferred match up.

Too much emphasis is put on labelling the lines. Perhaps what you are asking for is more ice time for others and less for the twins? Put others into more leadership positions? Control matches up more when possible, WD doesn't seem to be a match up guy to me at this point?

If WD says Horvat is going to be my number one centre and therefore get more ice time it doesn't follow that he will get harder matches up and the twins will automatically get 3rd or 4th line match ups.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A modest increase for Granlund, about $150,000 cap increase. Two years on a show me deal. A good signing by Benning. Notice I didn't say great or Benning is a genius! Better still if it does mean the end of Vey. Vey showed signs of improvement but not enough to bump anyone on our depth chart. Would be nice if Benning could recover a pick, even a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Zedlee wrote:
SKYO wrote: Markus Granlund.
2 yrs @ $900,000 cap hit
:thumbs:
Goodbye Vey?
Adios Vey!
ESQ wrote:I did not know that Eriksson killed penalties. The Canucks are poised to lose a lot of PKers - Hamhuis, Higgins, and Burrows. The only PK forwards left if Burrows is bought out or traded are Sutter, Hansen and Horvat.

If Eriksson takes Burrows' place on the top PK, and/or takes a bit of PK pressure off of Horvat, that makes him more intriguing (and Burrows potentially more expendable).
Yes, between RW's Hansen, Rodin/McCann(W/C), Virtanen, Grenier, maybe Eriksson -- Burrows does seem expendable at that point.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
The international experience with the Sedins is what's so damn tantalizing!

But the rumours in Boston were his demands were similar to Ladd's - 5-6 years, $6.5mil. Which will also probably be similar to Looch.

Given the quality of the UFA class, and the fact that several suitors will miss out on Stamkos, I don't see Eriksson going for short term unless the pay is over $7 mil.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
The international experience with the Sedins is what's so damn tantalizing!

But the rumours in Boston were his demands were similar to Ladd's - 5-6 years, $6.5mil. Which will also probably be similar to Looch.

Given the quality of the UFA class, and the fact that several suitors will miss out on Stamkos, I don't see Eriksson going for short term unless the pay is over $7 mil.
Former experience with Benning and the Sedins just might push him to sign here though.

If it takes 5 years I'm ok with that, he can play with our future centers for a couple years after the Sedins retire.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vrbata ....5 mill
Burrows....4.5 mill
Higgins. 2.50 mill
Prust....2.5 mill

Room for Eriksson. But without getting rid of Burrows he would eat a huge chunk of what's available, and that's assuming we rid ourselves of Higgins. As it is only Prust and Vrbata are off the books, 7.5 mill.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

What about Ladd?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It amazes me how when you put a little money in peoples hands, all they want to do is spend it on WTF ever is out there.
Why not keep it and wait ?
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

micky107 wrote:It amazes me how when you put a little money in peoples hands, all they want to do is spend it on WTF ever is out there.
cause mick, part of rebuilding a team is signing some key UFA's, along with drafting/developing, good trades.

All part of the puzzle, so many intricacies in a building a winner, psychology (proper amount of vets to shield the youth), timing, preparation meets opportunity.

Basically if you add a solid player for free so to speak, you do it, so they can be that piece to help the team win and ultimately try to go for lordstanley all at the right time, before the vets are too old, just right when the youth are coming into their own prime.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Putting Eriksson with the Sedins is the worst thing you could do.
They will be line-matched to death, as has been the case for years.
Torts couldn't handle it and WD is having trouble with it too, you can see it.
Sloppy changes, trying to counter act what the other coach is doing, etc.
I'm not stupid or just learning the game, like I know the team needs vets to help show,(not shelter), the younger guys on the ins and outs at the NHL level.
But free agent frenzy is just that, a frenzy and prices get overinflated.
Between the start of training camp and the first month of the season may be a better time to add a veteran piece.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think Benning has joined the frenzy as you call it. Year one Vrbata, who most agreed was one of the best FA signings that year, both for cap and term, and Miller who stabilized the net but has been a polarizing signing. Year two, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Weber, did I miss anyone?

I don't think we can accuse Benning of jumping on the FA band wagon just yet. Now while we are all spitballing what has management said about this year:

Linden: we need to be careful that we don't think because we have a lot of cap space we can just go out and use it on one or two high priced signings. We need to be mindful of our RFAs who will need new deals in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Benning: we aren't looking at your older type veteran FAs. We are looking at FAs in the late twenty year age group that compliment the other age groups and who will form part of the new core. He supposes that if there is a FA in the 30 ish age range that has familiarity with the team or players on the team that that might be an option. I called that the Eriksson mention but I was just guessing.

So while we are all throwing in our two cents it means squat. I have been told they have a list of 4-5 players they like, obviously not all 4-5. But I have zero idea of who they are. But if we listen to what Benning and Linden say we are all capable of saying what 4-5 players MAY be on that list, added to our own personal wish list.

Eriksson for the right cap and term would be a Vrbata replacement. But I don't think we get him for 3-4 years at 5 mill per. And that to me is the right cap/term for a player like him, or Lucic for that matter. Now I would go 7 years at 9 mill per for Stamkos, just don't think he would :roll:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

micky107 wrote:It amazes me how when you put a little money in peoples hands, all they want to do is spend it on WTF ever is out there.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Particularly when you have a pretty damn dismal record of .. snatching birds .. like say Scott Niedermayer or Joe Sakic (or any number of other players who never signed here).

Also, if your goal is to keep ticket buyers happy you should be spending to the cap (since we can all acknowledge that no on ice payroll savings are going to be passed to consumers in the form of cheaper tickets). Even moreso if you are planning on selling your on ice product as competitive NHL hockey and you just finished with the third worst record in the league.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I don't think Benning has joined the frenzy as you call it. Year one Vrbata, who most agreed was one of the best FA signings that year, both for cap and term, and Miller who stabilized the net but has been a polarizing signing. Year two, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Weber, did I miss anyone?

I don't think we can accuse Benning of jumping on the FA band wagon just yet. Now while we are all spitballing what has management said about this year:

Linden: we need to be careful that we don't think because we have a lot of cap space we can just go out and use it on one or two high priced signings. We need to be mindful of our RFAs who will need new deals in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Benning: we aren't looking at your older type veteran FAs. We are looking at FAs in the late twenty year age group that compliment the other age groups and who will form part of the new core. He supposes that if there is a FA in the 30 ish age range that has familiarity with the team or players on the team that that might be an option. I called that the Eriksson mention but I was just guessing.

So while we are all throwing in our two cents it means squat. I have been told they have a list of 4-5 players they like, obviously not all 4-5. But I have zero idea of who they are. But if we listen to what Benning and Linden say we are all capable of saying what 4-5 players MAY be on that list, added to our own personal wish list.

Eriksson for the right cap and term would be a Vrbata replacement. But I don't think we get him for 3-4 years at 5 mill per. And that to me is the right cap/term for a player like him, or Lucic for that matter. Now I would go 7 years at 9 mill per for Stamkos, just don't think he would :roll:
I didn't say Benning would join the frenzy! I said that's what it was................................
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

dbr wrote:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Particularly when you have a pretty damn dismal record of .. snatching birds .. like say Scott Niedermayer or Joe Sakic (or any number of other players who never signed here).

Also, if your goal is to keep ticket buyers happy you should be spending to the cap (since we can all acknowledge that no on ice payroll savings are going to be passed to consumers in the form of cheaper tickets). Even moreso if you are planning on selling your on ice product as competitive NHL hockey and you just finished with the third worst record in the league.
Nice quote but I didn't say don't spend money, I said don't rush to spend it, and ya! I think I know the fans need something.

People should take the time to read posts instead of speed scanning them and then maybe they would pick-up the gist of them and corrections like these would be unnecessary ;)
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

micky107 wrote:
dbr wrote:

Nice quote but I didn't say don't spend money, I said don't rush to spend it, and ya! I think I know the fans need something.

People should take the time to read posts instead of speed scanning them and then maybe they would pick-up the gist of them and corrections like these would be unnecessary ;)
It's a bit tough to wait. Most fans (media driven) demand new blood. And, after the frenzy is over, there is not a lot left. Errickson, Looch, Stamkos, and the few good D-men available won't be available for long. Next thing you know, you are giving the B and C squads contracts to fill spots instead of building a team. But, I'd like to keep $3 or $4 mil avauilable, in case a good cap-related trade comes uop during the season.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!