Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15222
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm

micky it's a transition. Don't get hung up on labelling the lines 1, 2, or 3. WD wants to roll four lines. We already saw last season numerous occasions where he didn't put the twins out in O zone draws. As WD's confidence in players grows, more so defensive confidence, their ice time will increase.

My frustration is 3-3. Why he insists on starting the twins bugs the hell out of me. Start Horvat, Hansen and Hutton. Put the twins out for O zone draws or up ice transition.

I don't think Horvat is yet seen as the number one centre. I think we are still looking for that or hoping he can develop into that. He played over his head in the second slot and yes his second half numbers were great but it still doesn't, or hasn't yet, translated into a full season. I see the twins being the defacto number one until their contracts are up. Perhaps after that we see a one year extension, at lesser money, for a secondary role.

This is why either drafting Matthews or going hard after Stamkos, if he becomes UFA, are smart moves for me. Bring in our future 1st line centre.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9891
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by micky107 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:micky it's a transition. Don't get hung up on labelling the lines 1, 2, or 3. WD wants to roll four lines. We already saw last season numerous occasions where he didn't put the twins out in O zone draws. As WD's confidence in players grows, more so defensive confidence, their ice time will increase.

My frustration is 3-3. Why he insists on starting the twins bugs the hell out of me. Start Horvat, Hansen and Hutton. Put the twins out for O zone draws or up ice transition.

I don't think Horvat is yet seen as the number one centre. I think we are still looking for that or hoping he can develop into that. He played over his head in the second slot and yes his second half numbers were great but it still doesn't, or hasn't yet, translated into a full season. I see the twins being the defacto number one until their contracts are up. Perhaps after that we see a one year extension, at lesser money, for a secondary role.

This is why either drafting Matthews or going hard after Stamkos, if he becomes UFA, are smart moves for me. Bring in our future 1st line centre.
I guess my problem with everyone wanting to go so slowly is I really think the Sedins can be better mentors and have a chance to play against 3rd and 4th lines, for a change, if the first line status is shared.
This is also a form of "transition" and better to start it now then wait till the end.
THE KIDS WON'T BREAK...(a good coach can see to that)
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11020
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Benning and his squad re-sign Granlund.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... d=rss-News

per fanager:

Markus Granlund.
2 yrs @ $900,000 cap hit
2016: $850,000
2017: $950,000

:thumbs:
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Zedlee » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:28 pm

SKYO wrote:Benning and his squad re-sign Granlund.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... d=rss-News

per fanager:

Markus Granlund.
2 yrs @ $900,000 cap hit
2016: $850,000
2017: $950,000

:thumbs:
Goodbye Vey?

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2581
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by ESQ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:30 pm

I did not know that Eriksson killed penalties. The Canucks are poised to lose a lot of PKers - Hamhuis, Higgins, and Burrows. The only PK forwards left if Burrows is bought out or traded are Sutter, Hansen and Horvat.

If Eriksson takes Burrows' place on the top PK, and/or takes a bit of PK pressure off of Horvat, that makes him more intriguing (and Burrows potentially more expendable).

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15222
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:50 pm

micky you can't just label the lines as number one and two. It's results on the ice that will dictate who an other team matches up against the twins, or any one else. If Horvat, or any one else, naturally emerge as more productive or dangerous then other teams will begin to match up against them. it's not like teams say ok who does Vancouver list as their first line, that's who we have to match up against.

From WD perspective it's the ice time and situations that will show who he believes are the number one line. Sure it would be great to see the twins match up against other teams 3rd and 4th lines. But that's not WDs choice. At home he has last change and can try to match up but good coaches will change up on the fly to get their preferred match up.

Too much emphasis is put on labelling the lines. Perhaps what you are asking for is more ice time for others and less for the twins? Put others into more leadership positions? Control matches up more when possible, WD doesn't seem to be a match up guy to me at this point?

If WD says Horvat is going to be my number one centre and therefore get more ice time it doesn't follow that he will get harder matches up and the twins will automatically get 3rd or 4th line match ups.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15222
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:58 pm

A modest increase for Granlund, about $150,000 cap increase. Two years on a show me deal. A good signing by Benning. Notice I didn't say great or Benning is a genius! Better still if it does mean the end of Vey. Vey showed signs of improvement but not enough to bump anyone on our depth chart. Would be nice if Benning could recover a pick, even a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11020
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Zedlee wrote:
SKYO wrote: Markus Granlund.
2 yrs @ $900,000 cap hit
:thumbs:
Goodbye Vey?
Adios Vey!
ESQ wrote:I did not know that Eriksson killed penalties. The Canucks are poised to lose a lot of PKers - Hamhuis, Higgins, and Burrows. The only PK forwards left if Burrows is bought out or traded are Sutter, Hansen and Horvat.

If Eriksson takes Burrows' place on the top PK, and/or takes a bit of PK pressure off of Horvat, that makes him more intriguing (and Burrows potentially more expendable).
Yes, between RW's Hansen, Rodin/McCann(W/C), Virtanen, Grenier, maybe Eriksson -- Burrows does seem expendable at that point.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2581
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by ESQ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
The international experience with the Sedins is what's so damn tantalizing!

But the rumours in Boston were his demands were similar to Ladd's - 5-6 years, $6.5mil. Which will also probably be similar to Looch.

Given the quality of the UFA class, and the fact that several suitors will miss out on Stamkos, I don't see Eriksson going for short term unless the pay is over $7 mil.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11020
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by SKYO » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:00 pm

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ericksson is a very good PKer. He has a strong 200' game which is why he would be a great addition for the twins. We also know they have shown strong chemistry at the International level. I'm on board if the term us right. I suspect he would replace Vrbata's 5 million at least.
The international experience with the Sedins is what's so damn tantalizing!

But the rumours in Boston were his demands were similar to Ladd's - 5-6 years, $6.5mil. Which will also probably be similar to Looch.

Given the quality of the UFA class, and the fact that several suitors will miss out on Stamkos, I don't see Eriksson going for short term unless the pay is over $7 mil.
Former experience with Benning and the Sedins just might push him to sign here though.

If it takes 5 years I'm ok with that, he can play with our future centers for a couple years after the Sedins retire.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15222
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Vrbata ....5 mill
Burrows....4.5 mill
Higgins. 2.50 mill
Prust....2.5 mill

Room for Eriksson. But without getting rid of Burrows he would eat a huge chunk of what's available, and that's assuming we rid ourselves of Higgins. As it is only Prust and Vrbata are off the books, 7.5 mill.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
CorranHorn
CC Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by CorranHorn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:42 pm

What about Ladd?

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9891
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by micky107 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:26 am

It amazes me how when you put a little money in peoples hands, all they want to do is spend it on WTF ever is out there.
Why not keep it and wait ?
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11020
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by SKYO » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:35 am

micky107 wrote:It amazes me how when you put a little money in peoples hands, all they want to do is spend it on WTF ever is out there.
Why not keep it and wait ?
cause mick, part of rebuilding a team is signing some key UFA's, along with drafting/developing, good trades.

All part of the puzzle, so many intricacies in a building a winner, psychology (proper amount of vets to shield the youth), timing, preparation meets opportunity.

Basically if you add a solid player for free so to speak, you do it, so they can be that piece to help the team win and ultimately try to go for lordstanley all at the right time, before the vets are too old, just right when the youth are coming into their own prime.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9891
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks 2016 Post Season Discussion

Post by micky107 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:03 am

Putting Eriksson with the Sedins is the worst thing you could do.
They will be line-matched to death, as has been the case for years.
Torts couldn't handle it and WD is having trouble with it too, you can see it.
Sloppy changes, trying to counter act what the other coach is doing, etc.
I'm not stupid or just learning the game, like I know the team needs vets to help show,(not shelter), the younger guys on the ins and outs at the NHL level.
But free agent frenzy is just that, a frenzy and prices get overinflated.
Between the start of training camp and the first month of the season may be a better time to add a veteran piece.
"evolution"

Post Reply