NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Per »

More players on the unfortunate decision:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well Per at least Backstrom will go thanks to Ted Leonis (sp) Caps owner be cool AF, allowing players to go, as he cares for his players like family.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:Ovechkin says he'll go, no matter what.

Hopefully the other players will join him.
Subversive tactics. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

2 new rule change recommendations made today. Still need league approval:

Rule 87 Time-outs: The Committee recommends a change so that no time-out shall be granted following an icing for the team that committed the icing infraction.

Rule 80.4: The Committee recommends a change so that when a team has a power-play and a player on the team at full strength causes a stoppage of play as the result of striking the puck with a high stick in the offensive zone, the resulting face-off shall be made in the neutral zone on the nearest face-off spot. This makes the rule consistent with the how the face-off is addressed when there is a stoppage under the same circumstances when both teams are at full strength.

Rule 87 could have significant impact especially late in a game. Rule 80.4 shouldn't mean much.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

NHLPA begin voting today to raise cap by 2.5% escalator. That would raise the cap to 75M. Results expected very soon, well anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:NHLPA begin voting today to raise cap by 2.5% escalator. That would raise the cap to 75M. Results expected very soon, well anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days.
Isn't it a foregone conclusion that the players will want a higher cap?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:NHLPA begin voting today to raise cap by 2.5% escalator. That would raise the cap to 75M. Results expected very soon, well anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days.
Isn't it a foregone conclusion that the players will want a higher cap?

No, due to the rising cost of escrow there is division within the PA. Yes a higher cap potentially increases jobs and or increases salaries but with that up goes escrow. But inside sources say they expect the PA to overwhelming vote yes to the increase.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From SN

Elliotte Friedman
September 6, 2017, 5:12 PM
The NHL is making a very interesting rule change for the 2017-18 season, introducing a harsher penalty for one particular video review.

From now on, a failed offside challenge will result in a two-minute penalty against the club asking for the review. It’s a potentially powerful infraction. Can you imagine a team in a tight game giving up a goal it thought was offside, losing the challenge, then having to withstand an immediate power-play opportunity? It’s going to make bench bosses much more wary — and ratchet up the pressure on video coaches.

Incorrect goaltender interference reviews stay the same — the loss of your timeout. That’s probably a wise decision, since there’s much more grey area than with an offside call.

Another adjustment that will have strategic impact. Teams are no longer able to call timeout after icing the puck. The other club can still do so if it wishes, but tired defenders won’t be able to ask for the extra rest.

Both moves should speed up the game and increase scoring/chances, which is what most of us want to see.

The final change is smaller, but also helps those with an offensive advantage. Previously, under Rule 80.4, a team on the power play that was guilty of playing the puck after a high stick saw the ensuing faceoff come deep into their own zone. Now, the team will gain territory (assuming the infraction is in the offensive end). Instead of going all the way down the ice, the faceoff will be in the neutral zone, close to the defending team’s blue line.

Now the immediate question is why not eliminate the offside challenge altogether. It seems the NHL doeany really want a challenge. It shouldn't take 10-15 minute every challenge for them to review. I get that so many challenges failed but that's is still significant. One reason given is that teams were using the challenge to rest players on icings?!?!? I don't recall this being abused. Keeping in mind if they lose their challenge they lose their timeout, same as if they used it on an icing to rest players. Since teams have barely enough time to decide if they want to challenge I think we see them drop significantly. Just get rid of it.

I like that teams can't call a time out after icing the puck. Now since they could do it only once a game anyway I don't think it will have a huge impact but I like that one.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I don't think, deep down, the NHL really wants the offside challenge at all.
The refs dilly daddle, the war room is too slow and some of the reviews are still inconclusive.
It just takes so damn long and can change the flow of the game, but it sounds like this will help.

If there is just one little change I would love to see, that would be simple is that if they are going to be persistent
in keeping those stupid trapazoids, then void the rule for three on three overtime!
The goalies are itchin to get involved now and this could make it pretty entertaining.
A forward could strip the goalie of the puck but NOT body check him.
"evolution"
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I like all the changes.

I really hate how much of an impact the offside review made on each and every game. I get it, it needed to be instilled, but it created far too much unnecessary drama and delay. But I'm old school and believe the linesman are correct 97% of the time, which is good enough for me. This adjusted rule should limit the reviews to the blatantly obvious.

The last one, the high-sticking infraction, should be treated as an off-side and drop the puck outside the defenders blueline. Minor quibble I know, but they are trying to increase offensive opportunities after all.

Lastly, I know this has been mentioned ad naseum. But what would be the harm in altering the rule for the size of the ice? Give teams the option of keeping it the same, or increasing the width up to 'X' amount. It would provide much discussion/interest and debate for sure, but it may also alter a coaches game plan, thus providing more of a home ice advantage.

The players are just too big, too skilled and too fast for todays ice dimensions. Make a harmless rule amendment and let the individual teams decide what to do. It works in baseball.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote: From now on, a failed offside challenge will result in a two-minute penalty against the club asking for the review. It’s a potentially powerful infraction. Can you imagine a team in a tight game giving up a goal it thought was offside, losing the challenge, then having to withstand an immediate power-play opportunity? It’s going to make bench bosses much more wary — and ratchet up the pressure on video coaches.
I liked the rule, but I thought it should have a 10 second window of play before the challenge expired. That gave time to call the offside break-away, but, not to call the offside after a 30 second cycle down low that scores. Teams will have their own war room watching off-sides on PVR like crazy now.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wonder if you still need an available time out, and if you lose that time out in a bad challenge, if that precludes you from challenging any other offsides?

I ask because the skeptic in me says the penalty notwithstanding I could actually see more challenges. If you get scored on and have confidence in your PK why not challenge every goal?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Breaking: Ken King drops bombshell, saying owners no longer going to pursue new arena in Calgary.(Flames)
Just when Seattle approves a new arena. :o :o
The city of Seattle on Tuesday was scheduled to announce its Memorandum of Understanding with the L.A.-based Oak View Group, which plans to spend $600 million renovating the arena for NBA and NHL use.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... tion-fund/
Flames reporter-Helen Pike:
"Bettman saying it will be hard for the Flames to remain competitive without a new arena "without a new building there will be consequences".
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
Breaking: Ken King drops bombshell, saying owners no longer going to pursue new arena in Calgary.(Flames)
Just when Seattle approves a new arena. :o :o
The city of Seattle on Tuesday was scheduled to announce its Memorandum of Understanding with the L.A.-based Oak View Group, which plans to spend $600 million renovating the arena for NBA and NHL use.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/ ... tion-fund/
Flames reporter-Helen Pike:
"Bettman saying it will be hard for the Flames to remain competitive without a new arena "without a new building there will be consequences".
The obvious logic is to move the lames out of bountiful to the emerald city!

Fuck you cowgrease....fluery still sucks and Otto kicked it in
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We've seen this game of chicken before. Heck BB still has his quarter!

I think the powers to be in Calgary will crawl back with their tail between their legs and beg the Flames to stay.

But.......I won't cry if the Flames move. That city doesn't deserve anything positive, ever. Still, I think it more likely the city finds a way to keep the team and Seattle gets an expansion team in 2-3 years, yikes, just when all our prospects develop.