NHL business

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: NHL business

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Change nothing, game is fine as it is, maybe if Bettman quits expanding the NHL thereby diluting the talent in the game, maybe then they'd be more powerhouses which in turn = more scoring.

Should have some flexibility in the cap as well so powerhouse teams can keep their talent longer.

The NHL hellbent on creating equality across the league is what is hampering the game as well, they are already giving Vegas great odds in improving quickly.

So one can say this is Bettman's failure and lack of oversight that is causing mediocrity across the league.
Leave the rules alone and simply assign and off-ice official with a radio to the senior referee's earpiece. Clutching and grabbing (more than the norm) will get called more often resulting in more PP's and eventually more goals. The players will do one of two things, they will clean it up and you will see the skilled players with more room get to scoring areas and start putting up points, or they will keep with the dirty and the man advantages will continue and more goals will ensue.

Start CALLING THE GAME according to the EXISTING rulebook, don't put the whistles away!

We all saw the scoring bump after the 2004 lockout. It was league-wide. Goal scoring began to regress noticeably after 2011 when the league went back to the style that favoured the big bad Bruins, Kings, and Sharks. Goaltending didn't get better, defensemen didn't get better, there aren't really any new strategies or formations being deployed.....they just slowed things down again and tried to level the playing field by hampering skill in favour of brute strength.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Start calling the delay of game penalty on faceoffs. Enforce the rules in place before duplicating them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: ....

So one can say this is Bettman's failure and lack of oversight that is causing mediocrity across the league.
??

Ummmmm, I seriously think you forget who mandates what Bettman says/does... butthead is the ultimate employee who is doing exactly what the people who pay him want him to say and do.

As a fan, To think/say/believe anything else is silly.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

And yeah Mëds, calling the games existing rules would be a great start.. calling the rules the same in October, March AND June would be even better, no matter what period it is, or what the score is..

That entire thing about refs doing 'game management' is buckets of bullshit
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

How long will it be before we see injuries (fake) like football so players can delay? If they do away with the ONE timeout to be used for icing I'd be coaching players to ensure someone is hurt, lying on the ice, forcing the trainer to come out. Not every time obviously but on those long shifts at a clutch time......

Ya, enforce the existing rules.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Make a win 3 points.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote:Make a win 3 points.
Wouldn't make much difference.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A six point swing for an inter-conference win?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wouldn't make much difference.
What are you talking about? We would be safely behind Dallas to increase our draft odds 0.9%! :lol:
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Horvat is 1 pt behind Kesler. Just saying. ;)

This guy is going to be expensive, but very much worth it to sign.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Calgary_Canuck wrote:Horvat is 1 pt behind Kesler. Just saying. ;)

Yup! Don't know why the heel-dragging.
By the time they get around to it, if they want the big term, it's gonna cost more than either of the Flame's boys.
Pretty obvious now, it's not only about points.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

micky107 wrote:

By the time they get around to it, if they want the big term, it's gonna cost more than either of the Flame's boys.
really?? where did you hear that? all I have heard or read from Horvat, his agent, or the team is that they will look at it in the off season. sounds like it was brought up before Christmas, then they agreed to talk about it over summer... That's no heel dragging, that's a simple both sides saying 'wait and see'

Jonny was all about the money, don't see anything like that regarding Bo.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Funny, I was just thinking the other day about what Horvat's top-end will be and I would be interested to hear what others think his peak will be points-wise. So far he is outperforming Kesler's first few years in the league and doing so at a younger age. Kesler did have to deal with a lockout in 2004/05 however.

I don't think 30g-40a-70pts is by any means a stretch of the imagination for him at this point. Does he have more than that in him?

Anyways, the Canucks have a beauty in Horvat, for certain. At the time of the trade I complained a bit thinking that Gillis could and should have got a little more than just the 9th overall for Schneider, but in hindsight, I'm making that trade all day every day with absolutely zero regret.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rocky Dennis wrote:

Funny, I was just thinking the other day about what Horvat's top-end will be and I would be interested to hear what others think his peak will be points-wise. So far he is outperforming Kesler's first few years in the league and doing so at a younger age. Kesler did have to deal with a lockout in 2004/05 however.

I don't think 30g-40a-70pts is by any means a stretch of the imagination for him at this point. Does he have more than that in him?

Anyways, the Canucks have a beauty in Horvat, for certain. At the time of the trade I complained a bit thinking that Gillis could and should have got a little more than just the 9th overall for Schneider, but in hindsight, I'm making that trade all day every day with absolutely zero regret.
True. It seems goalies are a dime a dozen these days compared to higher end prospects. Cant recall but did that deal go down on the draft floor so Gillis knew who would be available?
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
micky107 wrote:

really?? where did you hear that? all I have heard or read from Horvat, his agent, or the team is that they will look at it in the off season. sounds like it was brought up before Christmas, then they agreed to talk about it over summer... That's no heel dragging, that's a simple both sides saying 'wait and see'

Jonny was all about the money, don't see anything like that regarding Bo.
Not trying to stir anything up and I think it fine to leave the general public thinking everything is amicable.
These negotiations will be tough though. Bo is very well represented and it will be his agent's job to go for the max., I would expect nothing less.
The Canucks will have to decide on what level of commitment they are willing to make. I have no idea, at this point, where Benning's authority starts or ends. The owners have kept to their word and stayed the course in seemingly letting those they put in place, do their jobs. I hope that's true but they still sign the cheques.
It is difficult, at least for me, to get a read on what they are or are not willing to do these days.
Maybe it's still all-out, no matter what it costs or maybe it's gone the other way like saying, "Let's not burn up a year of that dude's entry level if we don't have to". Don't know.

In regards to Johnny, at 157 pound, it's somewhat of a stretch to think there's an illustrious 18 year career in him.
Horvat just seems so much more valuable to me because of his multidirectional talents.
He plays the game hard and fast on the puck but does not go out of his way to hurt people and on a few occasions now, I have witnessed opposing players veering away from big open ice hits they could have delivered on him.
That kind of mutual respect, but still playing the game tough, is a great thing.

Hopefully, the deal gets done without too much disconcert, fingers crossed..... ;)
"evolution"